LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 06-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
frankenlugerguy
User

Default Unit Markings on an Unfortunate "Hybrid"

Greetings to all. I believe this is my first post, although I may have "chimed in" on one or two others.
The subject of this post is one of those unfortunate Lugers that comes by us, from time to time, what I call a "hybrid mismatch". This one is a shooter I picked up at a gun show, several years ago, from a guy who was walking around with it sticking out of his back pocket. I would not ordinarily bother this astute forum with such a mundane example of our favorite handgun, but please read on.
The pistol has a very nice G-date upper receiver unit, and what I believe to be a WWI, unit-marked lower frame. The lower is not quite as nice as the upper, but is interesting to me for its unit marking: S.E.I.44., stamped into the right side of the front grip. One can see, very faintly, that a previous unit marking was down the center of the frone grip frame. In addition to having been apparently polished out, at one point, it also had "X" marks, scratched over the previous markings. Here is an image of the grip frame:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unit Mark Hybrid Luger.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	79936

I know there are forum member who could identify this unit in their sleep, but I've not been able to do so, on my own. Someone once told me it was probably an ambulance unit. But please help me out here, and I promise to stick to more worthy subjects, in future.

Great forum. Thanks for your time.

litteralis