LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-27-2002, 09:54 PM   #1
merc
User

Post different

My Erfurt has a hole in the frame just above and rearward of the trigger. The DWM does not have a hole in this spot.
Also the DWM has a longer bar on the top slide where the safety bar comes up than the Erfurt.
Is this normal?
The Erfurt has parts from different guns (the numbers on various parts are different than the laast 2 no.s of the ser. no.)
Since I don't think I can harm the value of these two (because they are not "rare" specimens, I plan on doing some light sanding and rebluing them to make them look good. Then I will take to the range for a day of fun.
Any thoughts?
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:50 AM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,677 Times in 551 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by merc:
<strong>My Erfurt has a hole in the frame just above and rearward of the trigger. The DWM does not have a hole in this spot.
Also the DWM has a longer bar on the top slide where the safety bar comes up than the Erfurt.
Is this normal?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The hole in the frame indicates that the pistol was at one time modified for a magazine safety. That was standard for pistols used by the police. When the magazine was withdrawn from the gun, a piece of metal moved into position behind the trigger and prevented the gun from firing because the trigger couldn't be depressed far enough to release the firing pin.

The sear bar on early (pre-1916 and some 1916 pistols) Lugers had a long raised part on the side that would not allow the action to be opened if the safety was in position. A modification for new pistols that began in 1916 and was also done on some older guns reduced the length of the raised portion and the action could be worked with the safety applied. It allowed removing a cartridge from the chamber in a safer manner than doing so with the safety disengaged.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 04:34 PM   #3
merc
User

thanks Doubs
That makes sense.
I knew that the bar that gets blocked by the safety was changed for a reason.
BTW--I ordered 2 books from Amazon.com
Luger Tips and The Luger Handbook.
I really like this forum too.
I keep reading past posts and think I learn something everyday.
Paul