LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-14-2023, 05:12 PM   #21
Browbmo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs View Post
The 8.8. may be another Weimar Republic era stamp but I do not know what it signifies. I have a Luger with 4.3. in the same location.

The 8,83 under the barrel indicates a bore diameter of .347". That is from the top of one land to the top of an opposing land. The groove diameter will be larger and should measure .355" if done to strict specifications. However, there are variances as you'll find 8,81 & 8,82 marked barrels.

WRT use in WW2, it's quite possible that it was.
Thank you again, you are a wealth of info.
Browbmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2023, 10:38 PM   #22
Daniel76
User

I have a 1921 Weimar era luger with similar stamps on the grip strap and the back of the frame. I believe the 8.8 on the back frame corresponds to the two '8's on the grip strap. 8th company, 8th weapon. It is put on the back strap so that as they are accounting for them in an armory rack, they don't have to take each one of them out and individually check the serial numbers.

Here is my 1921 stamps in the same places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8a.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	87587  

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	87588  

Daniel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Daniel76 for your post:
Unread 11-15-2023, 12:41 AM   #23
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Daniel76 is likely correct. The OP reported the markings as 3./J.R.10.8. and I had to use a magnifying glass to see that the first digit is an 8.... after reading Daniel76's post.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2023, 08:55 AM   #24
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

With regard to your trigger reset problem, the disconnector is the small pin at the front of the sear bar. This pin has an internal spring and that area can get dirty and lubrication inside it can become viscous and either make it stick or slow down.

Please note that the fitting of the trigger linkage on a Luger requires some experience and skill, and you should resist making any changes to "fix" the problem. Look to cleaning and proper lubrication first to solve action problems.

It's true that the Luger has a finely balanced action. This means that they can be ammunition sensitive. I've found that modern standard velocity, 115 or 124 grain full metal jacket ammunition runs best in my Lugers shooter pistol.

There is a lot to learn about Luger pistols and many fine details to understand about their markings. I'd suggest some careful study, including the free FAQ document we distribute on this site, before proceeding to purchase more.
Unread 11-18-2023, 01:43 PM   #25
reich1900
User

Very good advice by mrerick
reich1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2023, 04:49 PM   #26
Browbmo
User

I got the trigger resetting normally by cleaning the plunger on the Sear bar. I had a new Mec-Gar magazine come yesterday. I shot the pistol today and it locked back after each last round. Everything is functioning perfectly. No one had taken it down for a detailed cleaning in a long time. I don’t know how long it had been since it was shot; the last owner never shot it.
I’m glad it was just the magazine. I was going to get a new one anyway so the original magazine it came with doesn’t get more wear.
I bought some aftermarket wood grips and they came today. I’ll have to do some minor fitting, but the original grips on it are in nice shape and I don’t want them to crack or chip when I rack it. I’ll keep the original magazine and grips safe. I don’t think I could wear the rest of the Luger out if I tried.
Unread 11-18-2023, 05:54 PM   #27
Browbmo
User

Quote:
Daniel76 is likely correct. The OP reported the markings as 3./J.R.10.8. and I had to use a magnifying glass to see that the first digit is an 8.... after reading Daniel76's post.
It is definitely an 8 at the front. I think you all have identified the Regiment information. There’s no way to know where all it went, is there any documentation on what person may have been assigned weapon 8.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7716.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	87618  

Unread 11-18-2023, 06:57 PM   #28
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Well done! You have the world by the tail on a down hill haul...it is nice to see things come together and I applaud your taking care of the original grips and magazine. (Now consider that 1916 DWM)
Ron
Unread 11-18-2023, 09:29 PM   #29
Browbmo
User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Well done! You have the world by the tail on a down hill haul...it is nice to see things come together and I applaud your taking care of the original grips and magazine. (Now consider that 1916 DWM)
Ron
Ron
This is the 2016 9mm he has for $1400, the side plate number doesn’t match. Has original magazine. It has B.2.U. In the inside of the grip.

I’m having a hard time justifying buying another Luger with the 2 P-38s I also bought from him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	87619  

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	87620  

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	87621  

The following member says Thank You to Browbmo for your post:
Unread 11-18-2023, 10:45 PM   #30
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Darn, that is a heartbreaker that the side plate doesn't match (in your original post, it was presented as all matching?) because, otherwise, it is a pretty nice gun judging by the photos (would like to have it in hand for a better assessment). With an original period magazine I still think $1400 isn't out of line for a unit marked gun in that condition ( the last character appears to be a "U", which would indicate that it was a Bavarian Ulan/mounted cavalry weapon...very desirable). JMO, for whatever that is worth. If I was 20 years younger and still accumulating Lugers, I would give it serious consideration.
Ron
Unread 11-19-2023, 04:34 PM   #31
Browbmo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Darn, that is a heartbreaker that the side plate doesn't match (in your original post, it was presented as all matching?) because, otherwise, it is a pretty nice gun judging by the photos (would like to have it in hand for a better assessment). With an original period magazine I still think $1400 isn't out of line for a unit marked gun in that condition ( the last character appears to be a "U", which would indicate that it was a Bavarian Ulan/mounted cavalry weapon...very desirable). JMO, for whatever that is worth. If I was 20 years younger and still accumulating Lugers, I would give it serious consideration.
Ron
It has the correct numbers on the side plate, but another number is there and has a line through it. I would love to buy all I could find also, but I gave so many pistols and rifles I forget what I have. I pull one out and it’s almost like having a new gun! 😀