LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-19-2001, 08:25 PM   #1
Freischütz
User

Default Offtopic - C96 Questions

1. Cases ejected by my M1930 strike the flat area in front of the rear sight and deflect in front of the shooting bench. They're hard to find, and I can only hunt for them while others are downrange changing targets. What modifications will cause the cases to fall behind me? What is the normal ejection pattern for a C96?

2. Over the years several people approached me and asked why their "broomhandles" wouldn't fire. I was never in a position to disassemble one of them, but it appeared as though their sears weren't lifted high enough by the trigger to release the hammer. Does anyone know what wears and produces this condition?

Thanks for taking my offtopic questions.

Unread 05-20-2001, 06:31 AM   #2
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Offtopic - C96 Questions

Hi Freisch�¼tz,

A C96 in like new condition will generally throw the expended cartridge case forward, over the front sight. There's an old joke about the C96 being such a good pistol that it throws everything it can at the enemy - including the expended brass.

Over time, and with increasing wear, this ejection pattern changes and the expended case is eventually tossed in the opposite direction, over the shooter's head and behind him. The most difficult stage occurs when the cases are tossed up in the air and end up in the shooter's shirt pocket, or down his collar.

I would not suggest making any modification to the pistol in order to make it eject in any specific direction. Abide, and you will get what you are looking for

A failure to release the hammer when the trigger is pressed and the safety is off is usually due to some problem with one or more of the following: sear, sear arm, hammer, trigger. The problem may be wear, or it may be due to mismatched (and hence ill-fitted) replacement parts.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 05-20-2001, 08:46 AM   #3
tom h

Default Re: Offtopic - C96 Questions

Kyrie makes some good points about wear or mismatched parts, but since the ejector of any broom is the small tip on the front of the lock work, this is probably worn down. So since this is an internally numbered part of a M30, I wouldn't change it on a matching collector grade pistol, but if a mismatched shooter anyway why not. I have stripped lock works available for the M30 @$35 plus $10 for overseas S&H. The most common reason that the hammer of a broom doesn't fall when the trigger is pulled, is an ill fitting or worn sear arm or the its "V" spring which is part of the hammer axel. Since there are a couple of types of arms and they were hand fitted to a particular pistol, I wouldn't recommend ordering this part by mail. It's best if you can find a local gunsmith to fit one to your particular pistol.