LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
MarkC
User

Default Repro Mauser C96 Stock

Does anyone know of a company that is selling a nice reproduction for my "shooter" Red 9?
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Craig
User

CMR has one at about $250. It's the correct size for the shoulder holsters and display case. There are some cheap $90 ones out there in Shotgun News. They are NOT the same size and the finish is very poor.
Cheers
Craig
Unread 10-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
MarkC
User

Craig,

Is CMR a british company? I may have bought an artillery luger attaching iron from them.

What about this company? Cheap junk or worth the money?

http://uniquecanes.com/new/item_germ...ster_stock.php

Thanks for the help.

Mark
Unread 10-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
stymie
User

Bear in mind that a reproduction stock is not allowed on a broomhandle pistol unless the weapon is registered with the BATFE as a "short barreled rifle."
It must be OEM, otherwise, to avoid the purview of NFA Branch.
Unread 10-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Craig
User

To prevent the forum police from jumping on me I'll use the phrase "down market" for the equipment that the HTML link takes you to. I got the entire outfit with a real ruff Bolo. Thor redid the Bolo and I purchased a display box from CMR in the UK. Thats when I discovered the stock was not standard sized. I ordered a stock from CMR and it was like night and day. CMR is kind of slow but they are well worth the wait. They also have all of the tools and such to make a really nice display box.

Cheers
Craig
Unread 10-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
MarkC
User

Stymie,

I thought I had read an earlier thread that said repro stocks were OK for Artillery Lugers, is this not the same with the broom?

Craig,

Do you have a link to their web site, I was very happy with the iron I bought from them. Thanks for the "heads up" about the other item.

Mark
Unread 10-20-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Reproduction Shoulder Stocks

Stymie,

The information in this post is incorrect... please see the follow-up post from Stymie below- Thanks {Modified by Admin-JS}

Your information is incorrect regarding the 1896 Mauser "Broom"and reproduction shoulder stocks.

Please read this letter (sanitized on our site for confidentiality reasons but available elsewhere on the internet like James Bardwell's NFA website)...

http://www.lugerforum.com/BATF.html

Repro stocks are permitted as long as the Mauser WOULD be exempted if it had an original shoulder stock. Details are in this letter...

The information in this post is incorrect... please see the follow-up post from Stymie below- Thanks {Modified by Admin-JS}

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
Craig
User

http://www.btinternet.com/~cmr.international/
Unread 10-20-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
stymie
User

Hi John,

That letter in reference to Odin International's request for a ruling only pertains to Odin International, technically. Legal rulings are only specific to the individual or organization that makes the inquiry to Tech Branch. That said, they are often taken as a blanket authorization for other filers of a Form 1 to emulate.

In any event, you'll notice that this is only germane to two pistols mentioned... the Luger & the Hi Power. Missing is any reference to the Chinese or German broomhandle. This is covered & unchanged in the C&R listing on the BATFE site: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/sec3.htm

I am aware that certain pistols are exempt from NFA purview when equipped with a repro stock, but the broomhandle is NOT one of them.

The ATF even reversed its decision on the Browning Inglis Hi Power pistol at a later date ('99) in this ruling/advisory: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wb...f_letter70.txt

I would suggest that anyone considering the installation of a repro stock on a broomhandle pistol to 1st obtain a specific ruling to that effect. Assumption based on unsupportable documentation can be a very costly mistake!

John

stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Stymie, Thanks so much for your enlightening research on this issue... All members should read and heed when it comes to "Brooms" and shoulder stocks... As the only stocked pistol I own is a 1914 Erfurt Artillery, I know I am not afoul of the law...

I suggest all members who own both Broomhandle Mausers and Inglis Hi-Power Pistols take Stymie's advice and make your request to be exempted directly to the ATF ... BEFORE you actually get a reproduction stock to go with your pistol... Once you have a definitive answer then make the letter public here on the forum and elsewhere so others can be informed.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote