LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 12-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Default 1900 Swiss Commercial

It has been awhile since I have had something to profile, but thanks to help of my good friend Ed Tinker, I can show you a very early 1900 Swiss Commercial, sn 897.

In all respects save one (well, actually, maybe three…), it’s characteristics are as expected for this model. It is a standard Model 1900, c/BUG proofed, with a Swiss cross-in-starburst above the chamber and a type-1 thumb safety lever. It is not stamped GERMANY.

The earliest Parabellums were furnished with a magazine fitted with a flat follower button, which proved to be cumbersome to reload. During production of the first thousand or so guns, this was modified to the thicker button with which we are all familiar. The modification required a modification to the design of the frame, a relief cut in the magazine well to allow for the insertion of the thicker button. New style frame mag wells are found interspersed with flat-button style production, and some pistols were retrofitted with the relief cut. Sn 897 is within the mixed range; it has a relieved frame, but it is not possible to tell if it is original or retrofitted. Its present magazine is not original, and so provides no clue.

This gun displays serial numbering practice used on the earliest 1900 production, which was changed very early in production. In addition to the takedown lever being numbered on the right, round end, the magazine button is also numbered on the right end. This number disappears by the beginning of the American Eagle production series, and is not seen again until the Erfurt P08s manufactured to the Army’s 1910 marking specifications.

The trigger plate is numbered on the face of the foreward tang (covered by the takedown lever), rather than on the bottom edge which would become standard commercial practice.

The grips are numbered to the gun, and bear an indecipherable symbolic stamp.

This gun displays characteristics of an active and cared-for shooting life. Most obviously, it has been plated—I believe chrome. A small silver plate has been inlet into the left grip, but it has never been engraved. It suggests that this Luger was prepared for presentation at some time in its life.

It is unfortunate that the gun has been chrome plated, but a respected collector of Swiss Lugers has suggested that under the circumstances I need never apologize for it. Despite the plating, it was an opportunity not to be passed up.

As a shooting gun, it has had a “helper” leaf added to the flat recoil spring; apparently, one lamination of another recoil spring cut off and inserted behind the original spring.

The ejector has been replaced by a clever modification. Apparently unable to fabricate an original-style ejector with its slip-fit, clip-in design, the gunsmith fabricated a replacement from spring-steel, and drilled the receiver extension for a pin to secure it. External examination suggests that the ejector slot itself was modified for this to work, but I am not of a mind to remove the ejector to find out. The extractor has been replaced with the later, Swiss-designed reinforced modification.

The magazine has been disassembled and the tube chrome plated. The base has a very faint crown/M Imperial Navy stamp, and the gun’s serial number has been stamped the long way on the base. It is as though the craftsman involved did not know the true characteristics of a commercial magazine, and so based the serial numbering on the example in hand. The base does not have the Navy-style concentric circle knobs, and so is of very late production.

The fact of the chrome (rather than nickel) plating, and the nature of the modifications to the ejector and magazine base, suggest to me that this work was done some time after its arrival in the US, rather than in Europe.

The chrome plating raises the question of restoration. Although I generally do not care for the practice, the rarity of this gun certainly places it within the realm of acceptability. The markings and edges appear to be quite sharp—note particularly the polished thumb safety indicator routing. On close examination some of the surface seems not to have been buffed but some clearly has, so it is unlikely that simply stripping the plating will resurrect a complete covered over blue finish—I guess I can wait until a new, qualified restorer appears from the woodwork.

Oh, and it is as difficult as all heck to take good detail pictures of a chrome-plated Luger!

--Dwight

Last edited by Dwight Gruber; 12-24-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 12-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Drat! I tried to do some fancy formatting, dunno why it works for me and nobody else. I'm attaching the pics to this post, in the standard fashion.

--Dwight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlantL-lores.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	3863  

Name:	RAll.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	3864  

Name:	SwissTop3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	3865  

Name:	SwissNumbers1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	3867  

Name:	SwissSprings.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	3869  

Attached Images

Unread 12-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I like that ejector modification! Seems like an improvement over the original, and very well done. Chrome plating notwithstanding, it is an exciting example and I would have no reservations about having it in my collection. Congratulations on its acquisition.
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Dwight nice posting, glad you like it.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Dwight,
Congratulations; I am happy to see, that for a change, you have done something for yourself. Most of your efforts lately has been for the members, and we do appreciate it.
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
drbuster
User

Dwight and Ron, the extractor appears to be a Bern replacement, typically seen on the W + F models. The chrome plating is very well done, not obscuring the markings. A great conversation piece and "barbecue" luger. Thanks for sharing, Dwight.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

You are correct Doc. Dwight mentioned in his first post that the extractor has been replaced with the later, Swiss-designed reinforced modification. With the improved extractor and the neat ejector modification the gun ought to function like a Swiss watch. Now if we can only find a set of custom oak leaf carved and ivory inlay grips...then a french fitted case...
Unread 12-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Dwight Gruber
User

Actually, for shooting, I prefer my ivory grips smooth and thin. The fitted case is an interesting thought...

--Dwight