LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 10-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
saxman
User

Default .30 Luger Commercial

Belongs to a relative. DWM, .30 cal., 'Germany' on frame under SN, 7033k on barrel and frame, 33 on parts, original grips, traces of paint in GESICHERT, stock lug, period mag with wood bottom, nice bore, looks to be rust blue at about 50%-60%.
I haven't owned a Luger in years and have been out of the loop. What's a year on this and what do you think it's worth?

Unread 10-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

1920's $800.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 10-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
saxman
User

Thanks, George. I've never fired a .30 luger so I'm going to take it and the owner to the range one day and see how it does. The 9mm '1920' I once had was very accurate.
Unread 10-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
saxman
User

After more reading, looks like it is a 1923 or so 'alphabet commercial'. I failed to mention earlier that caliber is not marked anywhere on this pistol but it is .30 Luger. Also the barrel length is 98mm, and the 'chamber' ring has been ground clean.
Unread 10-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Please elaborate on "chamber ring". Do you mean over the chamber where the date is usually found? Is it really ground clean or never stamped?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
alvin
User

I just sold one $1200. Much better condition than this, but still take two months to sell... if using that one as a reference, this one should be $400-$500 at most. Of course, market is non-linear, $1000 is a sensitive line for many buyers. Within $1000, it could go high...
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
saxman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Please elaborate on "chamber ring". Do you mean over the chamber where the date is usually found? Is it really ground clean or never stamped?
dju
If I remember correctly from years ago, the way to tell the date has been removed is if the ring is slightly thinner on top as viewed from the muzzle. That appears to be the case. I have read that some of these were ex-military issue with markings ground off, refinished and remarked for export. It also seems that some of these were newly-made pistols. It is a big gray area for me.

As to value, we're only looking for insurance value, so the $800 is good enough. I just took a look on GB and found the same model in nicer shape asking $1495, but I noticed the unmarked chamber top was not ground - the 'grain' of the original finishing was still evident. You can see it was altered on mine. I wonder if that affects value.
Unread 10-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #8
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Saxman

Nice pictures and nice pistol.
Alphabet Commercial Lugers tend to be generally cheaper (but not always) and in much better condition than their military counterparts, no much sought after by collectors, can be an excellent choice as vintage shooters. Replace the mag before you shoot it. Get a "modern" MecGar mag, cheaper and surely safer for range shooting.

Best

Sergio
Unread 10-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

SM, As mentioned above, the Alphabet commericals started @ 2000 I block, so your's could be made in 1923 or 24. If all matching serials, I believe that it would sell in the $800 range (I'd purchase it for parts in the $500 range), but you may want to insure it for $1,000 replacement value. TH
The following 2 members says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 10-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
If I remember correctly from years ago, the way to tell the date has been removed is if the ring is slightly thinner on top as viewed from the muzzle. That appears to be the case.
Only Old Model Parabellums were made with cylindrical receiver tops. All Lugers manufactured after 1906 are slightly oblate, that is, the top of the receiver is slightly thinner as you describe. This is completely normal.

Receivers from which a date has been removed display different characteristics from this. It is not necessary to remove anywhere near this amount of metal in order to do so.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
If I remember correctly from years ago, the way to tell the date has been removed is if the ring is slightly thinner on top as viewed from the muzzle. That appears to be the case. I have read that some of these were ex-military issue with markings ground off, refinished and remarked for export. It also seems that some of these were newly-made pistols. It is a big gray area for me.

As to value, we're only looking for insurance value, so the $800 is good enough. I just took a look on GB and found the same model in nicer shape asking $1495, but I noticed the unmarked chamber top was not ground - the 'grain' of the original finishing was still evident. You can see it was altered on mine. I wonder if that affects value.
Yes, it affects the value, negatively.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree with Tom, if for insurance purposes, I would insure it for $1000, or perhaps a bit more. As time goes by, these old Lugers don't get any cheaper.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
saxman
User

I'll get some good pics of that area, because everything else on the pistol indicates that it was made new as a commercial, not rebuilt to be. It would be good to know. BTW, the magazine turns out to be the original. I didn't know it had 'GERMANY' on the wood base until I saw the one on GB then got out the loupe to check.
As for magazines, I had several good new ones when I had the Luger I got from Tom, but sold them after I traded off the Luger for a Hi-Power.

Let me know if you need more/different views - I have a few more shots.
Unread 10-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

DWM Alphabet commercial pistols were normally NOT stamped with a date above the chamber. Here's the same area on mine, from a block made just after yours... Same Profile...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DWMAlphaComCU.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	52335  

Unread 10-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #15
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I see no signs anything has been removed from your chamber.
It appears you have what you thought, a commercial pistol.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 10-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #16
saxman
User

True, but according to what I found, some dated pistols were modified to remove the date in the process of manufacturing the export pistols. After seeing my own pictures it certainly looks like nothing was ever there. I guess I need new glasses or something - I never saw the 'GERMANY' stamp on the frame until I looked at the blow-up. Pictures like this on a large LCD monitor are great for old eyes - very revealing. I used the flash on purpose to cut through the finish and expose any irregularity. An LED flashlight does the same thing - very handy in the gun safe or at the gun show.
Unread 10-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #17
saxman
User

Good. That's settled.
Unread 10-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #18
saxman
User

It cleaned up very nicely today with Ballistol. I found some gunk in the recoil spring that I believe was the original grease. I'm sure the pistol had never been detail stripped and it still hasn't. Thanks to everyone's input and Dwight's stickies on the Alphabet Commercial, I was able to prepare a report on the pistol to keep with it.

Last edited by saxman; 10-04-2015 at 12:07 PM.
saxman is offline   Reply With Quote