LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 04-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #21
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It's not the same pistol. When I posted the above comments, I did not realize the serial number was readable on Robert's Luger. It is not the same serial as the one I sold.

Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
tx_oil
User

After some research --I'm a noob, and I do not have the reference books*yet*--it looks like the receiver markings are from a Simson rework circa 1930 or so, along with a Waffenamt stamp. Is there any way to determine the manufacturer/date if no such stampings are on the frame? I ask because one of the cough-gurus-cough at the local gun shop said something about markings on the frame of guns made to circumvent Treaty of Versailles restrictions. Is that factual or just more gunstore ninja faux wisdom?
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
dwr461
User

Nice looking handgun there.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

There are no "secret" markings on any Luger frames to circumvent the Versailles treaty, to the best of my knowledge. The German "deception" only went as far as the manufacturing codes, which were merely meant to hide the manufacturing origin of the pistols. Although I can find no specific restriction on the number of Pistols the German Army could posses under the treaty, there were restrictions on who could manufacture pistols within the borders of Germany. The various Mauser codes, etc, were meant to hide the fact that pistol production in Germany had resumed outside of the authorized entities such as Simson Suhl. The Germans realized rather quickly that the league of nations had neither the will nor the stomach to rigidly enforce these provisions of the treaty.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

There are "secret" date markings but only on the chambers of Lugers made in 1934 "K", 1935 "G", and some 1936 "S". They were used by the Nazis when they resumed full scale arms manufacturing on coming to power in 1933. By 1936 they no longer felt the need for the pretense, and started dating openly. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post: