LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-27-2022, 12:36 AM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default Sows ear, silk purse???

Ok, hi to all, lately our hobby has taken a bit of a set back with the disappearance of Mec-Gar mags from the marketplace? I have heard rumors of late summer production, but I also don't believe in any thing I hear, especially in this day and age... So, for us shooters, what do we do going forward?
The answer is, for now, to up grade the temporary triple K mags that seem to be every where. Now, I know that as sold, they are wanting. But, the shortcomings can be easily addressed, if you are willing to do a little work. First, the follower spring has to be replaced with a Wolfe replacement, probably 10 to 15 percent plus power, really doesn't matter as long as it is stronger? Then, a Mec-Gar plastic bottom, (I have a lot of them) needs to be reduced by .250" and installed and drilled and repined. With these simple mods, it is a great range mag even though it will alway remain butt ugly ... Ok, that it... best, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 05-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #2
Kiwi
User

The answer was to stock up on the Mec Gars when there were available as I did
Hindsight is always 20/20
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Then, a Mec-Gar plastic bottom, (I have a lot of them) needs to be reduced by .250" and installed and drilled and repined.
What is the reasoning for the reduction in height??? Just to add an extra cartridge??? Or is there something about the Wolff springs that needs extending???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Hi Rich

There are two types of magazine springs and their specific applications, coil / round, and box or rectangular shape. The round spring, with the help of a guide, compresses into a hole or socket in the bottom to allow you to load eight rounds. The box spring fits neatly between the front and rear spine taking up all the extra room so it cannot bind or get out of place, a common issue with the coil spring? As the box spring has no hole to go into, it sets flat on the top of the mag bottom and we need to trim the top of the magazine bottom to allow all eight rounds to fit. It actually works well and is a worthwhile effort. Without the above mods, the triple K factor mag spring is weak, and gets weaker as soon as you use it. Best to all, til.....lat'r.....GT
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 05-27-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

kiwi, just hawg 'em up, whether you need them or not.........
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Over the years, I'd pick up 2, 3 or 5 Mec-Gars as I found them, always stuck one in a 'shooter' if I was selling one. And right now, I seem to have 1 or 2 at the most of mec-gars right now.

GT, I can't say that I really like the Triple-K - would be interesting to see one that is modified.

I wish they'd sell a ton of those 2/1001 that maybe are in storage - who knows? But I was surprised to see so many breechblocks that were sold over the last 3-5 yrs on ebay.

I once checked into buying a number of Mec-Gars, and they said to get a dealer discount I'd have to buy at a minimum of a 1,000 magazines (?) - even at $10 a pop, that is a bit of money in itself.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 05-27-2022, 10:11 PM   #7
HerrKaiser
User

I’m lucky that 4 of my magazines are GT worked. 3 mec gars and a Dutch commercial one. I’m also somewhat unlucky in that I have no military mags, just 3 commercial/foreign contract blank wood bottoms.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 05-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default mag quality and availability

Hi Ed and Quinn, My very best offering is a new Mec-Gar mag, either blue or nickel, and install either a walnut bottom, as in early, or an E.German aluminum bottom, as in late. With a GTHQ follower spring, and you have the best possible range mag available today! The new Mec-Gar mags with the Nylon, or some brand of polyamide plastic followers and bottoms, are great just as they come new. Just don't look right with the concentric rings and black bottoms.
The triple K mags remind me of, "A three legged dog, blind in one eye with his ears chewed off, goes by the name of lucky!" As they always seem to be one or two within reach. The spring mod. and the replaced bottom make them usable, but, can't do much about ugly...
If you members have any (Triple K mags) you would like made usable, I would revise them for $20.00 a mag plus postage... probably 5 bucks, Let me know! When Mec-Gar mags are once again available, revising them to G.T. Specialties range mags will be $100.00 including return postage, mag, follower spring, and bottom of choice. Same as before... best to all, til...lat'r....GT...
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: