LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 05-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #61
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbZ View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by funky in regards to the specs I gave for the two different Sig and one of PPU ammo.

I presume you don't mean funky, as in music, and the only other definitions I can think of are either, filthy or questionable.

The Sig specs are from right on their boxes. Like I wrote, they're all I have to work with, so I have to trust that they're reasonable guesstimates, and at least good enough for relative comparison. Certainly I should be able to trust that one box of Sig ammo is hot than the other. My question, still unanswered, is if the hotter one is too hot and the slower load not hot enough?

With the PPU ammo, the only spec given on the box is the bullet weight, 115 gr, the same as the two Sig loads. Different websites selling this ammo (when it's in stock) give different muzzle velocities. So using one of the many calculators on the Internet for calculating muzzle energy are going to give different ft-lbs depending on the muzzle velocity input. In that earlier posting I gave a low one compared to one I just now found for the exact same ammo. based on both the photo of the box and the UPC on the box.

PPU Handgun Line 9mm Luger FMJ 115gr, 1145fps, 335 ft-lbs.

Like I said, I feel I can take what printed on the Sig boxes as a good guesstimate. PPU is something else.
Herb,

I have listed the commercial ammo of my preference and knowledge of function.

Is Muzzle Energy really the determining factor, though, obviously, quite an important one?

Really, the only true test is to fire the lowest rated ammo and test it for jamming.

Use others at your own personal risk.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 05-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #62
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,587 Times in 518 Posts

I'm glad I reload for my Lugers. My load is listed in another thread and works quite well in all my shooter Lugers.

Steel doesn't expand or contract at the same rate as brass. If the load is hot and the case doesn't contract quickly enough, it's hard on the extractor. I don't use steel case cartridges in any of my guns from Lugers to my semi-auto rifles.

Others are welcome to use whatever they wish. Their gun, their money and their choice.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #63
HerbZ
User

I may be coming off like someone who's riding the line between cautious and stupid. I'm a learner and maybe this will be a teaching moment for other shooters too.

Just to review what I've learned, that others may want to know.

124 gr, 1261 fps, 438 ft-lbs. NATO plastic pistols,not old Lugers.

123 gr, 1076 fps, 316 ft-lbs. Original German Army P.08 specs.

123 gr, 1180 fps, 383 ft-lbs. Fiocchi FMJTCEB (truncated cone) closest store bought to original specs (presently unobtainable).

Of the three types of ammo (see my earlier post) picked out for me at Cabella's while Grandma and the other girls were shopping at Ikea, I think that the Sig 115 gr, 1185 fps, 359, may be the best performer.

A decade and a half or so ago, members of this forum were very big on the 100 round Winchester White Box from Walmart. It did seem pretty good ammo for awhile. Some time ago it became inconsistent.

Thanks to all, especially Seiger.