LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
mgvince
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Show of Shows in Louisville

Do many of you seasoned, forum members go to this show?

I used to live in the louisville area years ago, and have been to many National Gun Day shows, but never to one of the Ohio Valley Collector Show of Shows.

How do prices compare to online sales? I'm guessing a lot of nice stuff.

Thinking of driving from Independence MO.
mgvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

NDG is in same complex as the Show of Shows.

Show of Shows - 1600+ tables.

NGD - 2000 tables.

Show of Shows is Thursday afternoon (for members - you can join there) and Friday and Saturday for the public.

NGD is Saturday and Sunday (with setup on Friday).
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
You need to be a member of that society to get in...but you can buy a membership at the door before they let you enter the show.

Nice show to go to. But many of the sellers leave Friday morning and move over to the other show. So get to the SOS on its first day.

No, they move over Friday afternoon as NGD does not open for setup until 3 PM.
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Just checked my email and there was one from Ron Dickson (NGD).

He stated:

"The February 25, 26, 2012, National Gun Day Show will be our 25th Anniversary and the show is selling out quick!!!!! This show will be the last show with the Show of Shows, as they have told me, they have decided to move to a different date in 2013. I regret this very much, but it was their decision, not mine. This has been a NATIONAL tradition for 15 years, so this will be your last chance to participate in this great event."

So this year may be the last year that people can attend both shows on the same weekend.
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

oh, that is a shame Charlie.

Well hopefully i get a table at the gunshow, requested two earlier in the week, so we'll see. Plan on arriving on Thursday morning or so for the show of shows, if I can get in and maybe hang out with a friend

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I always enjoy NGD and SOS as I get to visit with a lot of friends. I enjoy the conversations and camaraderie with fellow collectors as much as the guns and militaria. I try to make the show each year and I will be attending this one. Don't know how many more I will make but I look forward to each one.
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
oh, that is a shame Charlie.

Well hopefully i get a table at the gunshow, requested two earlier in the week, so we'll see. Plan on arriving on Thursday morning or so for the show of shows, if I can get in and maybe hang out with a friend

Ed
You should be able to get a table at the gun show. At least I hope so as I ordered my table at NGD this past Monday. (the 12th).

Funny I ordered my table at SOS last February, but wait until clsoe to the end to get one at NGD.

I can get you in Thursday (or Friday for that matter) if you arrive and are not tired.

The Ohio Valley Military Society and Rod Dickson are are both funny. With proper planning, both could co-exist happily. But Ron has the ability to rub them the wrong way.

Additionally, there is the problem that many from the SOS side will move to NGD for Saturday. This leave the SOS show with a number of empty tables. Which in turn causes the general public who come in on Saturday to complain.

In 2010, the SOS people tried to get the names of the persons who were moving out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning to go to NGD. The idea was to take away their tables for the next years show.

That must not have worked too well, as in 2011, the SOS people set up row wardens to check the tables and encouraged other table holders to become quislings. But gun show people have devious minds and that must not have worked as it appears that the SOS people are going to try for different dates. Actually I cannot blame the SOS people as I can understand their problem.

The ideal thing to have would be to have both shows in the same hall. That, though, presents problems with the gate proceeds along with other problems.

If I could only do one of the two shows, I would do the SOS show as it fits my intersts better.