LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 12-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Jasta2
User

Default First Gun show shopping for a Luger-any tips?

It's been awhile sence attending a gun show and in the past I was always just browsing, now I am on a hunt for my first gun show Luger. I do not mind leaving empty handed. Any tips? Best way to tell a reblue? What is the best edge to look at to see it has been overbuffed. I know there are way to many variations and I should study up one whatever type of Luger I am looking for first. My wife is the haggeler in the family. Me I just ask the price and pay if it seems fair. If my wife is offered $20, she will come back with $10 and they meet somewhere in the middle. Not saying if a dealer is asking $2,000, I should offer $1,000 and end up at maybe $1,500. Are dealers flexable with pricing at shows? If I am intrested in something early in the show, show I go for it? or wait untill near closing hoping for a better price with the risk of it being sold? Boy, you guys that sell at shows would like to see me comming! The show is a 'DiPrete Promotions Inc. Gun Show' located in Manchester,New Hampshire at the Radisson Hotel Expo on Jan-9-10. Would love to meet any Luger owners at the show.
Thanks,Bill
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Curly1
User

If you go here you will see a thread on original vs reblu in the sticky section up top along with a FAQ that will answere some questions about variations.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

You can also put a wanted to buy add on this forum looking for your first luger and be confident in dealing with some pretty respectable folks here.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You are in a very difficult position because of your lack of knowledge about Lugers.

This is something we all faced when we started.

Hopefully a knowedgeable collector will guide you.

Bob
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,590 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Bill, Until you have more confidence in your ability to detect a boosted or faked Luger, you might be better off buying from a well respected dealer like SimpsonLtd. Admittedly you'll be paying a premium of about 25%, but that's better than getting stuck with a fake gun show "bargain"! Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
jonnyc
User

I would also counsel you to decide if you want to start with a "shooter" or "collectible" Luger. A good "shooter" for $600-700 is a comfortable way to get your feet wet and learn a bit about these pistols. You surely won't lose money if you decide later to upgrade to something better or more collectible.
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Jasta2
User

Thanks all, I am not completely new to Lugers, but I still have so so much to learn. I've owned a couple many years back, one from Ralph Shattuck back in 1971, a dbl date. along with a 1st issue 'Lugers at Random' book. I wish I still had that(the book I still have) I have a two Lugers now, one a great 6" Navy shooter built by a member of the forum and a 1900 American Eagle test, also bought through this forum. Sadly it had been reblued, but it is now in the hands of 'THOR' and I am sure it will regain it's original beauty. I check the online auctions and websites, but it seems that many tend to have 'finds' at smaller local gun shows. I guess every Luger fans dream ( or one of them at least) is to come across their own find. That's my goal for now.
Thanks again, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Bill
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
LugerVern
User

Bill

Take a reference book with you that covers what your looking for. Try and use a newer one with better pictures. Leave it in your car.

You can often find a reference book at the gun shows and browse through looking for the example your considering.

If you can, take your laptop with you and leave in your car. After finding one your interested in exit the show and go to a web site like Simpson LTD or FGS Inc and look at the examples there.
You can also download pictures of a type of Luger your looking for and take your time comparing.

Its free to get back in at most shows

If it looks too good to be true walk away, the odds are several very experienced collectors have already looked at it and passed.

Just some ideas

Good luck

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

Bill,
I would buy a Luger from the good folks offering them here in the WTS-section of the forum.
I have bought just one Luger yet at a local gun shop and was lucky to get a decent matching (shooter) Luger. But I had honestly no real idea what I bought til I found out at this forum. I had no real idea about models, markings, matching #, parts til I joined the luger forum.
If you buy from the WTS section, I guess, you have a chance to buy from a well respected Luger expert and not just from an "anonymous" seller at a gun show which maybe rip you off with a "franken luger".
Unread 12-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
MikeP
User

Best advice you got so far is to buy one here or from a reputable, though expensive, dealer.

You can dream about a gunshow gem, but you are about 25 years too late.

They are a real rarity at smaller shows, these days, but most people tend to overprice them and a good many pieces have been fooled with.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote