LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 11-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac
Default No Lugers found at gun show

I was at the Frederick/MD gun show today, there was not even one Luger for sale...
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Its coming to be the trend, In Ft Pierce there were 3 person with a luger and one of them were mine~~
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
jonnyc
User

I can't recall the last gunshow I attended where I did not see at least 2 dozen Lugers. Besides Mosins and 1911s, they are by far the most common milsurp guns I see. They all seem to be rare collectibles according to the usual prices.
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
worldoftone
User

Not a lot around here really. One good, qualified and knowledgeable seller (who is also on this board) who sells at most of the Texas gun shows in Austin/SA has many Lugers at fairly decent prices (as far as I can tell). At the Saxet . . . well . . . good luck (in SA anyway). Usually you'll see 2 - 3 per show, but as usual very overpriced and there always are questions about authenticity . . . and the vendors . . . well . . . that's another matter altogether.

- WOT
worldoftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
alvin
User

Alright, probably the price has dropped to the level that owners feel selling or not selling making no difference. After all, many people still need a few guns, selling a Luger and getting money to buy 1 or 2 Glocks do not make much sense to me. If love shooting, then just shoot that Luger
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
jamese
User

I used to bring 2 or 3 of my Lugers to all the gun shows in case I saw something I couldn't live without. Over the past 6 or 8 months most of the dealers/collectors I speak with are not interested in doing any trading that would increase their inventory, they are only looking to sell inventory, I stopped bringing my guns to the shows for now.

I think most dealers bought inventory 8 to 10 months ago when some folks were unloading assets as the economy turned south and people needed money to pay bills.

Now money is very tight and as Ed stated Lugers values are down about 20%, most dealers right now are going to hold their inventory rather than eat the 20%, hoping the price will go back up. I don't see alot of them bringing Lugers and other high end collectibles to the shows.
Not only are Luger values down, but I see the black Rifle (AR-15's) market prices starting to drop as well.

I can't say this is true for the whole country, but it seems to be the case for south and central Florida. When building stopped, the whole state has been hit hard. Most guns being sold are for personal or home defense. You only have to look at the number of CCW permits that are being issued to see the change in the gun market and the types of guns being sold.

Have you tried to buy any .380 ammunition lately ?

Just my .02
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Ron Smith
User

Jim,

Here it's pretty much the same. For about two years you couldn't find an AR variant of any kind. Now every shop has 5 or 6, and can't seem to give them away. Nice, unmessed with Lugers don't seem to show up around here. Rarely a decent one will appear and will be either over priced, or will be grabbed by the of the local gun show circuit crowd.

There are a couple of local guys who spend their retirement years hitting all of the shops about once a week looking for Lugers and Colts. And then take them to the big out of state gun shows at Reno or Las Vegas.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Ice
User

I have a lot of luck buying private sale firearms from older folks who are having a hard time financially. Watched an older lady walk away disappointed after a dealer low balled her at $300 for her Luger. I asked her how much she wanted. I gave her her price plus additional $$ for a beautiful 1929 Police Luger. Same good deal for a pre-war S&W 38-44 HD in 85-90% condition. Good deals are out there if you look hard enough.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ice for your post:
Unread 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I have a lot of luck buying private sale firearms from older folks who are having a hard time financially. Watched an older lady walk away disappointed after a dealer low balled her at $300 for her Luger. I asked her how much she wanted. I gave her her price plus additional $$ for a beautiful 1929 Police Luger. Same good deal for a pre-war S&W 38-44 HD in 85-90% condition. Good deals are out there if you look hard enough.

Charlie
Congratulation,
I am sure it is a nice police Luger.

Unfortunatly guns are not offered at estate-sales, this would be a nice place to spot old guns, too.
(At least here in MD)
Unread 11-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Dan44
User

The Chantilly VA show is this weekend. Plenty Lugers there.
Dan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Ron Smith
User

A few years ago, we were heading to the coast with some close friends. As we entered the little mill town of Mapleton, the "girls" saw an estate sale sign. So we diverted to the source.

Two ancient ladies were selling off their deceased brother's belongings. All of it appeared to be from the 19th century. Antques of every kind, including a table full of rifles. Upon inspection, it was a collection of mostly Winchesters, '92s, '94s, '86s with a few .22s. Not one of them was priced above $300.

My friend and I went into overdrive. I tried to get the check book from the "chainsaw" (not really, but that's what I was thinking) , but she wouldn't allow it.

After we arrived at our motel and an hour or so of shameless begging, she finally gave in. We broke a couple of land speed records covering the 30 miles back to the sale, only to watch a guy loading everyone of them into a van.

I've never forgotten that depressing weekend...
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #12
HuntMaster
User

I went to the Mobile, Al gunshow today. There were abot 6 or 7 Lugers in a 300 + table show. All were priced $850 ( very poor cond.) to $2500 ( 85% with a skull and cross bones holster) .
HuntMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I would be interested in finding out if the number of lugers on Gunbroker has increased. That would be a good indicator~~~
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Douglas Jr.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Smith View Post
I've never forgotten that depressing weekend...
It's a nightmare...
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
HankB
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
I would be interested in finding out if the number of lugers on Gunbroker has increased. That would be a good indicator~~~
I'm not sure about the number, but I've noticed that the Luger auctions on Gunbroker usually end with zero bids, no doubt due to the starting prices.

Even when a pistol attracts bids, the usual result when the auction ends is "reserve not met."

I'm in the market for a nice gun, but want a "shooter" . . . and every one I've seen locally is invariably a rare, collectable variation.

And priced accordingly.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
alvin
User

Luger is not cheap, but most variations are still affordable to most people. What I cannot understand was those COLT SAA, which sweeps the market one wave after another in auction sessions.... I don't know anything about them, but I have to say there are many SAA on auctions selling ..... how could it hold that very common 5 or even 6 digit price under current economy condition? Unaffected at all?
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Chuck, Please check my ad in the For Sale section for several Shooters in the $600 to $750 range, TH