LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 03-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Michigan Gunner
User

Smile Gun Show - Midland Michigan

Well, our "Group" is planning on driving to the Midland gun show from the UP of Michigan. About a four hour trip for us.

This is one of the larger shows in Michigan and a good time. There should be a few Lugers.

How about it Big Norm......are you going?

Lock and Load!
Michigan Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

M.G.,
I just had Jerry Peters call me and ask me the same question. Right now I am sitting at my desk doing the one thing that I hate doing and that is my income tax. Jerry told me that there were a bunch of UPERS out to get me, aye. Something about me being a flat lander. (Hee! Hee!) I almost missed seeing this show in GUNLIST. It was posted on the next page. At first, all I saw was the gun show in Gladstone on Apr 1-2.

I have to cheer Michigan States basketball team to victory over those evil guys from Louisville, Kentucky and right now I only know that it is on Saturday. The newspapers only say that the two games are at 6 and 9 pm but not who is playing at what time. I graduated from MSU so I have an obligation to advise the MSU coach on how to play those people from Kentucky. You have to respect those people from Kentucky. They fly an airplane to their games that is fueled by coal.

I am pretty sure that I will be at the gun show. Look for a guy in a MSU sweat shirt and a green baseball cap with the forums yellowish patch on the front. I'll probably be wearing light blue pants. I'll probably be there about noon, if I can find a parking spot. I'll try to be there sooner. It takes me over an hour to get to the Zilwaukee bridge.

Is that any particular type of Luger that you might want to buy? I can bring a couple with me. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of Lugers at the last show but not many real good ones.

With Jerry Peters also going to the show, maybe we can have a Michigan version of the Reno show. Those people at the Reno show are showing the rest of us up.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Michigan Gunner
User

Norm;

Well, with the crowd, I didn't see ya. Like last year we left about five AM. We had a good time, I didn't buy anything but sold a rifle. Sure were a lot of folks there. I saw an Artillery Luger but didn't ask for it to be taken out of the case as I didn't want to buy it.

I saw a couple others but nothing better than the one I have. I was also thinking about getting a "shooter" but all I saw were too much $$$.

A local gun shop still has a nice DWM with the stock lug ground off. They have had it for several years. The price is $650.00. It seems that the price of other shooters are catching up to what they want.

Still new to Lugers but having fun!

Lock and Load!
Unread 04-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

MG,
I was there and so was Jerry Peters. We came to the mut=ual conclusion that this was a terrible gun show for Lugers. The only decent one there was the 1917 artillery that you mentioned and it was selling for $1950. Lots of light rust all over it. But it was original and matching. The guy said that people told him that he was too low. He said that someone told him that I was a (quote) "so called expert" and he wanted my opinion. Half way through my opinion, he got a cell phone call and acted as though I wasn't there. I suspect that at the next gun show in Novi, I will see this gun reblued by some hacker and thus destroyed. Too bad. The only thing that this guy knew about Lugers was that this artillery had matching numbers and that made the gun worth $1950. I did buy a magazine off of him that had a banged up wood bottom. I have some nice wood bottoms that I want to mount on nice original magazine spines.
There were two other Lugers at one table. One was chrome plated and I didn't bother to look at it. The guy had another one that was a shooter. The receiver was badly buffed and had a very glossy reblue on it. The barrel didn't have a serial number on it. And that was it at this show. I didn't know your name so I could not ask for you over the loud speakers.
I tried showing the Lugers that I brought to some guys who advertized on there tables that they were buying Nazi medals and German guns. But they weren't buying ANYTHING. I think that they were there just to socialize.
I ran into an old buddy of mine at another table. He didn't have any Lugers there but since he had some Luger parts at home, I asked him if he had a front adjustible sight for an artillery Luger with the serial number of "54". I sent him an Email too and I am waiting for a reply now.
The food area had a pretty long line and by the time I got to the food, the polish sausage was pretty well died out. But the chicken that they had looked pretty good.
I took three or four of my Lugers with me to show to you in case you wanted to buy something. I got to the show about 11AM and left about 4PM. This might be the last Midland show that I go to. Too much arts and crafts, knifes and ammo. Not enough Lugers. But it was a nice day to drive there.
Big Norm
Unread 04-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Michigan Gunner
User

I think you are right on about the show as far as Lugers go. Overall, prices of everything was high. The few deals there were carried in the door, as is often the case. I sold a Remington 788 in .223 cal. for $375.00. It was a good deal for both of us. They go for about $350.00 in the UP and about $400 to $450 in the on-line auctions. Of course the dealers are trying to make a buck so it tends to push prices up. I am going to slowly start to sell guns that I don't use/need/or look at but have had for some time. The money will go into neat guns that will go up in value....like lugers....and are fun to own even if ya never sell them.

A friend once said that a gun is worth what you can get for it in two days, well, sometimes!

If we make it to the same show sometime, I'll make a point to meet you.

Regards.

Lock and Load!
Unread 04-06-2005, 12:28 AM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

MG,
Yah, I was looking forward to meeting you. I even brought a Michigan map so that you could point to where you live. Every so often I hop in my motorhome and drive to the UP. Every so often I see in GUNLIST magazine a small gun show up there. Once someone told me about a big Luger collector in one town. But I was driving anyplace I felt like and didn't know or care about where I actually was. So I don't know the town that the guy lived in or his name. Thats a great way to go around the UP.
Big Norm