LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 10-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,170 Posts
Default Mauser Magazines

The example shown (previous thread) is a late (mid 1980s) post war Mauser Parabellum magazine. The tube was made in Holland, but the magazine was put together in Germany, hence the marking.

Basically there are 4 types of post war Mauser magazines (actually 5):

MFT (Metaalwarenfabriek Tilburg) made:
-Black magazines with plastic bottom and Mauser banner (Mauser contract, sold with MP).
-Black magazines with Mauser banner + made in holland (sold directly to Interarms).
-Black magazines with only made in holland (after Mauser objected against unlicensed use of their banner)

Mauser had magazines assembled from MFT tubes in the mid 1980s. These are the ones shown here.

The last version is a series of magazines that MecGar did for Interarms. These have the Interarms name in a Mauser-type banner on the spine.

There are some variations, these were made to go with the commemoratives and may have nickleplated bodies and/or wooden bottoms.

The initial magazine followers were made from left-over aluminum 9x19 para blanks, supplied by sister company NWM.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
glock30
User

Would a Interarms Mauser Parabellum serial 2098 have a Mec-Gar mag, can It work in it, it does fit great.
glock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,170 Posts

Although it works better than the original, it is a later addition or replacement. It was not supplied by Mauser that way.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Bullet Bob
User

I've been reading Mr. Baudino and Mr. Vilmmeren's wonderful book, and I'm going to buy an Interarms Mauser in .30 Luger to go with the one in 9mm I already own.

The .30 cal. one I'm looking at only has one magazine, and since I'm going to shoot it, I'd like to have a couple more. Mec-Gar only has replacements in 9mm listed that I can find here in the USA.

I know the .30 Luger cartridges will probably work fine in the Mec-Gar 9mm ones, but I'm curious about the strength of the magazine spring affecting the function of the action, since the 7.65 spring tension differed (p. 289 of The Parabellum is Back!).

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Bullet Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default mag compatability

Hi Bob, any Luger mag, no matter how it is marked, should / will work properly, in either a .30 Luger or 9mm healthy Luger pistol... I think the designation of either caliber on the bottom was only for protection against using already loaded and stored mags in possibly, the wrong Lugers, when both were present and had to be distributed?... and even that is a thin premise as there was only a short time, very early, that it would even be a possible issue?... A Mec-Gar current production mag is the best available mag for shooting Lugers that has ever been made... If your Luger doesn't work with Mec-Gar mag. the problem is probably not the magazine, but most likely your Luger.... .... if you want a magazine spring that exactly mimics the original spring, the GTHQ mag spring! Tom Heller, Luger Doc, has them in quantity... They are the best Luger magazine spring yet made.... Luger shooters on this forum mostly swear by them, and hopefully, not at them!......... best to you, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
Bullet Bob
User

Thank you, G.T.
Bullet Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bob, As stated above, I do have GT/s mag springs in stock @$10 each + $5 S&H. I also have a few original like new Mauser Banner marked Parabellum mags from Interarms in stock @$100 each or $75 used and one of the "made in Holland" marked ones @$75 + S&H. As I recall when I purchased Interarms remaining parts I goT a bunch of cards that they sent with the mag stating whether it was for the 9mm or 7.65mm, so apparantly the mag springs were different. TH
Unread 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,036 Posts

I've had one or two of the Mauser mags; one had a spring so strong that with only 4 or 5 rounds loaded they could not be stripped from the magazine by the toggle.

Could have been an original spring, or one some one changed, or who knows; but the Mauser marked mags are really good looking!
Unread 02-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default STRONG mag springs!

Hi to Don and all! The issue springs with the Mauser Parabellums Luger magazines are by farrrrrrr the strongest Luger mag spring ever made?.... So, you can barely load them, and even if not used, they would blow the thermo forming plastic bottoms out, even in the box!!!! The, "Made in Holland" mags are identical, with the exception of the spring has more coils, and is slightly softer?.. The reason for all the mag spring tension?... Well, it comes back to a GT rule of life, "nothing is ever as it seems!" A strong Luger magazine spring covers a lot of Luger issues that a weak magazine spring multiplies....... BUT, It creates issues as well, like hard to load, un-necessary stress on the feed lips and plastic bottom... , range failures, etc. etc..... The GTHQ magazine spring is made to mimic EXACTLY the original Luger magazine spring, and it will not deteriorate over time.. loaded or unloaded?... Mec-Gar is the best Luger magazine yet made, and, the GTHQ magazine follower springs are the only upgrade possible right now.. I'll put a life time warranty on them.. Your's mine, Toms, .... Ok, your's and /or mine... ... best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 06-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #10
Kiwi
User

Bought 3 magazines from CDNN Sports on sale $18.99 each
https://www.cdnnsports.com/luger-p08...l#.XQ-y-IhKiM8

Took down to range and performed flawlessly with my Mauser (Interarms) .30 Luger
Seemed to work better than the issued Mauser mags with slightly softer springs
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
HerrKaiser
User

Last summer I got one of the “made in Holland” only black magazines. The feed lips were all kinds of messed up. I sent it to G.T. have a look at it and he was able to fix it up and put a blank aluminum base on it. It works in all my Lugers now.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
eprenzlow
User

The sale Kiwi mentioned above for MecGar magazines from CDNN is back / still on:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/luger-p08...2#.XSim78pOmhA

$18.99 is not bad for a shooter replacement.

(I have no affiliation with CDNN other than they’ve got a lot of my money!)
eprenzlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #13
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,586 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Bought 3 magazines from CDNN Sports on sale $18.99 each
https://www.cdnnsports.com/luger-p08...l#.XQ-y-IhKiM8

Took down to range and performed flawlessly with my Mauser (Interarms) .30 Luger
Seemed to work better than the issued Mauser mags with slightly softer springs
I recently purchased two Mec-Gar Luger mags from CDNN and they have worked perfectly.

I've done business with CDNN for many years and have always been pleased by their prices and service.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote