LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 01-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #41
saab-bob
User

Here is a interesting article about the 2010 Shot Show in Las Vegas

Not a AD,but still disturbing.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5000370242.htm

Bob
Unread 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #42
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Either they were stupid or trying to cut corners. In either event, they deserved to be burned. That being said, it could very well adversly affect gun owners.
Unread 01-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #43
fdodge
New User

Quote:
Long time experience with guns is almost as dangerous as no experience at all. Every once in a while we get careless through sheer habit.
I don't completely agree with that.
fdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #44
rivieraranch
User

I attended a gun show in Miami in the late 1980's where some idiot came in with an ultra modern high capacity 9mm; it discharged and struck a young teenage boy, the grandson of a well liked, long-time dealer. Fire Rescue whisked the boy off. My friend, an accomplished outdoorsman from upstate New York, noticed that the pool of blood on the floor had bubbles in it, which meant that the boy had been struck in the lung. The boy died.

It was after this that the gun shows began requiring people to tie open the actions of guns brought in.
rivieraranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #45
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I was at the SHOT show in Vegas this year. We were standing around one of the "eat while standing" tables in the food court when an affable sort walked up. I and another member in the group noticed a last minute "flip" of the guy' ID badge as he asked to join us at the table. He proceeded to pump us for all we might know about the group that was arrested, ( I am casually aquainted with two of them) and had we ever dealt with them, etc? My friend who had been in a better position to see the show badge just prior to the flip gently shook his head so we all clammed up. After some time this guy had not been able to elicit any show gossip from us so he moved away. My friend then confirmed that his show badge had identified him as FBI.
It's not that I am adverse to cooperating with law enforcement. Quite the opposite, in fact. I just didn't like the tactic of seeking information without identifying himself. Any one of us could have gotten his rear in a wringer by dropping idle gossip at that point.

Last edited by alanint; 10-05-2010 at 08:53 AM.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #46
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I just read the story, what is a shame is that in the "alledged" country, it is probably part of the negotiating process to give some extra profit... and I have heard that in some countries, it is expected.

ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #47
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Thats like dying in a funeral polar!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #48
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
I was at the SHOT show in Vegas this year. We were standing around one of the "eat while standing" tables in the food court when an affable sort walked up. I and another member in the group noticed a last minute "flip" of the guy' ID badge and he asked to join us at the table. He proceeded to pump us for all we might know about the group that was arrested, ( I am casually aquainted with two of them) and had we ever dealt with them, etc? My friend who had been in a better position to see the show badge gently shook his head so we all clammed up. When after some time this guy had not been able to elicit any show gossip from us he moved away. My friend then confirmed that his show badge had identified him as FBI.
It's not that I am adverse to cooperating with law enforcement. Quite the opposite, in fact. I just didn't like the tactic of seeking information without identifying himself. Any one of us could have gotten his rear in a wringer by dropping idle gossip at that point.
I have a general practice - which is not to discuss 'anything' with someone I do not know - other than the weather or what the other person can actually see.
Unread 10-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #49
paid4c4
User

Being an avid gun show participant in the winter months I'm surprised there aren't more AD's. However there can't be an AD unless weapons have a mechanical malfunction and self discharge. AD's are caused because a human being didn't follow proper safety gun handling protocol. You can't have an AD if you checked and cleared a weapon when picking it up. If you hand me an unloaded weapon the first thing I'm going to do is check it and clear it. I primarily collect M1 Garands and each of them have a breech flag, over kill probably. I'm over cautious with weapons. In my line of work I've seen several dead people who were killed with an empty weapon and a bunch of shot injured people who were shot with an unloaded weapon. Boils down to keeping our fingers off the triggers until we have personally checked and cleared weapons we handle. You check them for me and I'll check them for you. I practice what I preach because years ago I had an AD which could have ended a career and hurt someone. Lucky it didn't have bad results but I learned a valuable lesson. I was also at fault and responsible.
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #50
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

do not do a desk pop if there is an upper floor above you , safety first
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote