LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 01-30-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
Steve Richards
User

Default Portland, Oregon gunshow

I went to my local gun show today and it was a bust for Lugers. I only saw one Luger and it was a very expensive Swiss that has been holding down a display case for over a year now.

I did not even see a single Mauser carbine. I would like to get a few of the variations these short rifles that were made for primarily South American countries.

One thing thing that I found ineresting was an Air-Soft Mauser C96 carbine. It was all metal with very nice wood. But at $200.00 I had to pass on a toy to shoot plastic pellets. But it was tempting. It looked and felt very real. That is probably about as close I will get to owning a C-96 carbine!

I also saw an 1894 Brazilian Mauser. I have a soft spot for 7x57 Mausers.

I did not see Dwight Gruber. He is usually there but we have missed each other the last couple of shows.

Steve Richards
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Steve,

I was at the show Friday and Saturday, I bagged Sunday, regret that I didn't see you.

Y'all may notice that I have not been reporting the Portland gun show for several months now. Frankly, it has gotten to the point where there is almost nothing to report. We are lucky if there are more than two or three Lugers at a show, they are very often the same ones, as Steve has pointed out. The gun he notes--actually a Portuguese M2--has been for sale for at least five years, it is the sole remaining gun in the collection which Jerry Kramer has been selling off.

Most of the "usual suspect" table-holders have sold off their Lugers and no longer participate. There is one old-time regular, Bill de Mander whom some of you may know, who occasionally will come up with a Luger on his table--they usually sell before the end of the show's first day.

The only regular attraction for the show at this point is meeting several area Luger folks who continue to walk through and hang out a Bill's table, and talk Lugers for awhile. I met Don Hallock for the first time Saturday, under just this circumstance. Bob Hogan makes a rare table appearance every so often.

There is a more dedicated club in town, Portland Military Collector's Association, which is focussed much more along the lines of the general interests of this Forum, and has somewhat greater potential for Luger activity.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Russ
User

The portland Military show is March 18th at the armory on cornfoot rd. I will be there set up.
Russ
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Steve Richards
User

I will have to go to that show. It sounds interesting.

Steve
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Steve Richards
User

I just checked the schedule and that is the same weekend as the nest one at the Expo Center that has been so poor for Lugers. I hope to see you at the armory.

Steve