LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-13-2022, 08:47 PM   #1
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thumbs up 1910 dwm

I was looking at a 1910 DWM recently and was trying to figure out if it was a correctly marked Luger. I understand that those P-08's were marked in the commercial fashion but this pistol displayed the last two serial #'s on the sear bar and safety latch in the military style. Am I wrong to assume that maybe these parts were replacement parts and numbered to match the pistol? Another thing that I noticed was the absence of an army test proof on the barrel. The serial #'s on the barrel had good halos. If it was missing the proof could that mean the barrel wasn't original or was it not uncommon for the proof to be missed. The proofs were on the left side of the breechblock and on the right side of the receiver. There was no hold open and I think the grips were replacements as their condition didn't quite match the rest of the pistol. Just wondering if I am looking to hard at some of these pistols as I was slightly burned not too long ago, I will call it a first degree burn. A 1910 is on my short list as I have a 1910 holster. Thanks!

Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Jim,

I suggest that you invest in "Central Powers Pistols" or "Imperial Lugers" by Jan Still.

KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Jim,

I suggest that you invest in "Central Powers Pistols" or "Imperial Lugers" by Jan Still.

KFS
Thanks Karl, I do have a copy of Imperial Lugers by Jan Still also the Gortz and Sturgess volumes. Unfortunately I can't find the answer to my questions in them. That's why I posted my question here.
Unread 06-16-2022, 06:11 PM   #4
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I just recently parted with 1910 DWM S/N2204c, which was entirely original, and my photos clearly show the sear bar as being stamped with the last 2 numbers of the serial number. I did not have a photo including the safety bar but am guessing that the safety bar was stamped too and will ask the new owner to verify.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #5
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

That is interesting Lyn. That is what I was wondering if those early Imperials were marked supposed to be marked in the commercial style then having marks on the safety bar and sear bar wern't supposed to be marked according to everything I read. Is this just one of those Luger anomalies or were they not marked in the commercial style 100%? Maybe I'm being picky but when you read these facts in books and then find something conflicting in the real world I'm just trying to make sense of it. I don't want to pass up a good pistol based on false info.
Jim
Unread 06-16-2022, 09:31 PM   #6
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,586 Times in 517 Posts

If I'm reading Still's "IMPERIAL LUGERS" correctly, your 1910 Luger should have the last two digits of the serial number on the sear bar, safety bar and top of the safety lever. Also on the underside of the locking bolt and side plate. The left side of the receiver will be unmarked and the right side of the receiver will have either two or possibly three inspection stamps. The underside of the barrel will have the serial number and bore diameter markings.

Keep in mind that DWM's contract for the first 50,000 Lugers was approved in 1908 with production beginning in 1909 and did not follow the 1910 instructions on marking Lugers and as a private contractor DWM never did strictly adhere to the 1910 instructions on marking Lugers. There will be variations in how the first 50,000 were marked with the most obvious being the inspection stamps being moved from the left receiver side to the right side. Serial numbers being stamped on the left receiver didn't begin until part way through 1912.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 12 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: