LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts
Default Rochester gun show minimal review

Well, I made it to the Rochester Gun Show on Saturday and spent about three hours checking it out. Held at the "Dome"--Monroe County Fair and Expo Center in Henrietta, NY. This is the same venue as the last time I was able to attend. The building is unkempt, filthy windows, and the whole place smells like feet.

I should have taken notes, I suppose, but can still relate the Luger's presence as encountered, albeit incompletely. There were about a dozen that I spotted--three tables with three each, and one or two at a few more tables. Mostly overpriced, but one seller not so much--matching ex mag WWI, pretty good shape, $800. One Houston stainless, asking $900. One was buffed to a glistening, glossy black, around $1500? Another WWI, matching w/mag, decent shape $2000. I remember a DWM with funky side plate and a takedown lever with a weird, tiny button (the round checkered portion) ~$1500. The rest shooters of various origin, but asking at least $1500.

At one table, the owner was glad to have me field strip a commercial .30 to confirm matching numbers on FP and breech block, with a couple of interested guys observing. All seemed to appreciate the demo. Rather than remove the grips to check for numbers on them and the trigger, I left advice as to how to do it. I was able to dispel the seemingly ubiquitous notion one guy had about hot loads.

Still new at reinstatement of the activity of going to gun shows, I learned that I should document better what I've seen. There's another show in Syracuse this coming weekend, and If I go, I will indeed take along notebook, pen, magnifying glass, and a Luger tool. This will help me see more, do a more official job of extracting the FP for examination, and bring observations back for you folks.
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Dave, did they have both the main hall & Minette halls open??? It is mostly used for agricultural events, so the smell is kinda mandatory...

There are usually a couple guys with just magazines [ammunition type] as well as a couple with just magazines [book type] and books...Did you hit them up for anything???

I always take notes & pick up cards or ask where they are & the shop name...Also write down the table location (numbers hanging from ceiling)...

There's usually a guy near the exit with Pakistani/Khyber Pass junk, for cheap...I try to get something for my trouble even if i don't find anything interesting...Last time it was Pak daggers, $17 each, copies of SS & Luftwaffe daggers...Cheap knockoffs but for $17, who cares???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daggers.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	41113  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Thanks for the report, Dave.

When I lived in the Hudson Valley, the only show nearby that I attended was at the Poughkeepsie National Guard armory. It was very small and crowded. Still fun to get out and see things. i don't remember there being non-firearm related booths, so to me it was a good show.

In Raleigh, the shows are held at large multi-use facilities that also inlcude buildings used for agricultural shows. They are thoroughly cleaned after each use, so remain fresh and attractive. Some of the shows here are huge, with hundreds of vendors. It's definitely a different experience.

Our shows prohibit taking photographs, but now so many cellphones have cameras that it's difficult to control. I suppose individual dealers could allow you to document Lugers you see, and that could prove useful in the future along with other documentation.

I've bought three very nice Lugers at our local show in Raleigh. My first, a .30 DWM Alphabet Commercial; My Simson and a Mauser 42 date byf. I actually got them all on the second day of weekend shows, so they survived all day Saturday without sale.

There are a few dealers that always bring mixed serial number Lugers or ones with finish issues and try to get way over collector price for them. They recognize me, and probably don't appreciate anyone with knowledge being at the shows.

Every once in a while, a dealer shows up from afar (Florida, etc...) with interesting stock. This is how I saw my first righteous Krieghoff.

And a few years ago, someone showed up with just a small tray table (like you'd eat on while watching TV) with three very high priced Lugers. He was from out of the area. They had been improperly refinished and a very poor re-crown job done on two of them. Within 30 minutes of my closely inspecting them (and not saying anything), he closed up shop and left. Interesting...
Unread 04-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

No, I didn't buy a thing! Ammo was too much; I need the impetus to set up a reloading station for myself, anyway. (.45ACP on the Square deal B will be a dedicated setup. 9mm could be done on it, but changeover parts are astronomical. And it won't do necked cartridges, so no .30 Luger.)

That explains the smell, but the current owners have made no improvement in housekeeping.

No cameras allowed at this one either.

I'll try to have my wits gathered together a little better for subsequent shows. There were some potentially good contacts there, and I regret dropping the ball.
Unread 04-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
MFC
User

Hi Dave,
You can remove the firing pin using only the tip of your finger (not your finger nail). The FP spring guide's end is cup shaped. Just stick the tip of your finger in it, and press in and turn as you would with a screw driver. It offers more control and feel too, so it wont go flying across the room. Try it, you'll like it.
BTW you shouldn't find serial #'s on commercial FPs.