LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 02-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts
Default Ft. Myers Gun SHow

Spent time on Sunday at the Fort Myers, Florida gun show. It's been awhile sinse I have seen such a collection of overpriced crap, misinformation and downright thievery.
Spent about ten minutes having a guy explain why his "G" date Luger with black, bakelite grips was "all original". He also had refinished Lugers he was claiming were original. A normal 20s commercial for $1,650 and a plain Jane 40/42 for $3750!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I generally go to the local gun shows near Raleigh, helping with one of the gun rights groups Grass Roots North Carolina.

As such, many of the dealers know me on sight.

Some of them will no longer show me Lugers (and other guns) that they have for sale because I have quietly told them the truth about what they are mis-representing. I am respectful, share the facts that I know and this is completely unappreciated. It bursts their fraudulent bubble.

They are trying to sell grossly overpriced refinished mismatched Lugers as if they were collectible.

So, when it comes to gun shows, cavaet emptor.

I have occasionally found decent Lugers at normal prices. Also other guns like the Walther/Manurhin PP 1954 post war I recently got.

All this points out the importance of "Luger University" and the purchase and study of the reference materials.

There is a collector oriented show held near Charlotte NC a couple of times each year. This show has knowledgeable dealers with reasonably priced guns. The best thing about this show is that I have been able to closely inspect correct Lugers like a Krieghoff, and almost new Mauser made guns. Nothing like having one in hand to help learn more about them.
Unread 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
Patronen
User

A few years back at one of the shows I would go to, there was this obnoxious seller that would yell to people like he had a game of chance booth at the county fair. He always had a table right next to the main door. I think the venue after awhile had enough of him because the last time I saw him there his table spot was moved adjacent to the Mens room door. Needless to say there wasn't people around his table much nor was he barking to people anymore.
Unread 02-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I've givin up locally in Port St Lucie, Fla. Beef jerky, dealers who exault their wares like photos of their own children! There is one of our family, Howard the German flare guy aka 'Signal Man'who always has the finest German pieces. Hes is almost always at our West Palm Beach Gunshow and I assume others both in and out of Florida. I hope and pray someday I can meet you all in German packed show and graze the isles together. Much like a kid in a candy store!!! Eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
signalman
User

Thanks Eric for the kind words, but Never give up.

You never know when you will run across the gem for your collection.

Some of my best guns have turned up at some of the "worst" shows.
signalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Great Advice, Thank You My Friend!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
K.Wilhelm
User

Default Some GS vendors

It really would be funny if it weren't such a sad commentary on the human condition. Some of those types of vendors don't know and don't want to know while others know exactly what they're doing to try to "flim-flam" others. Bill
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Jerry
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The Lakeland Show in Jan is still pretty good and kicks off the new year and maybe a good deal or two.

I think I know Howard from years ago,,,,may have sold him a artillery or two awhile back.
Unread 07-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Angus Magnus
User

Having been to the Ft. Myers show many times since getting into the hobby, I can attest that it has gotten considerably worse the last 3 years. In the beginning there were a few shows where my purchase volume approached divorce levels...

Now it's almost as bad as the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale shows.
Angus Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote