LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Steve Richards
User

Default Portland, Oregon show

I went to the Portland, Oregon show by Collector's West. There were only a couple of Lugers but I thought that I would pass on that the following 3 books by Jan Still were there. Axis Pistols ($300), Weimar Lugers ($200), and Third Reich Lugers ($200). The same dealer also had German Pistols & Holsters 1934-1945 ($100) by Lt. Col Robert Whittingon. I have no idea if these are fair prices and have no connection to the dealer. I just know that the Jan Still books are hard to find. The dealer is Jim Bateman SJBATE477@MSN.Com and cell phone 925-260-90252.

I bought a Whitney Wolverine pistol and a book The Navy Luger by Joachim Gortz and John Walter. I also came home with a recurve bow. It is a Panda model by Bear at 45 lb pull.

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Whitney Wolverine, a pistol waaay ahead of its time. The first auto pistol I ever shot and I have been fascinated with them ever since. It belonged to a high school buddy of mine and ate up my .22 cartridges as fast as I could pull the trigger, what a hoot! I finally got one of my own and it sits nestled off to the side of my Lugers just to jog fond memories every now and then.
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Lloyd in Nevada
User

Steve,

Thanks for the gun show report! Always nice to hear what it going on around the gun show world and if different areas of the country.

Ron,

I would love to go shooting .22s (pistols/revolvers what ever) with you sometime! What a hoot that would be.

Best, Lloyd in Vegas
Lloyd in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

Lloyd,
Nothing would make me happier. Trouble is, things have gotten too "civilized" to shoot like we used to. When I was a kid, I could walk 10 minutes and be in the woods to shoot to my heart's content. Even later, when I moved out west, you could drive to the desert at the edge of town and bag your limit of tin cans, empty shotgun shells and Necco wafers any time you wanted. Now the edge of town has moved 20 miles further out and even then if you do get out into the desert, some do-gooder will have heard the shots and you will be surrounded by a SWAT team or Border Patrol. Things are just a little too volitile just across the border, and who knows, I might be a terrorist.
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I have seen Wolverines several times in the last couple of years and I just need to buy one

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Like everything else that has stirred a collecting interest, Wolverines are going up in price. It wasn't too many years ago you could pick them up for $250 or so. The last nice one I saw had an asking price of $600, and it wasn't on the table when I passed by again.
Unread 09-08-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
Steve Richards
User

Unless it wa in pristine conition, $600 seems quite high. Mine is in good condition and I got it for $375. The finish is worn around the muzzle but is in otherwise good shape.

I also have one of the new ones being made by Olympia Arms. Rather than an aluminum frame it is a polymer but most of the parts are interchangable. It is great to shoot!
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote