LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 02-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Pete Ebbink
User

Default UPDATE --- SOS Dinner Event

Updated 2-6-06 :

As of today, 2-6-06 over 25 folks have indicate they will attend the SOS show and the dinner event. I suspect this listing will continue to grow in the next 2 weeks.

As a dinner event of more than 15 folks gets to be a bit difficult to handle, I would like to suggest two dinner events; one on Thursday night and another on Friday night.

Most folks that have responded would like to see the cost option # 2.

The split between folks wanting to attend the dinner event on Thrusday versus Friday seems to almost be spilt evenly.

If 2 dinner events sounds like the way we should go, will someone organize and mangage the friday night event (in my absence...since I will fly back home then) ?

Will someone volunteer ? Most important task for this volunteer is to choose the restaurant for Friday night and make dinner reservations once the head-count for Friday night is known.

I will keep 2 sign-up sheets at the Jerry Martin/George Anderson tables at the SOS shown and would ask that our dinner folks sign up while at the SOS show for either the Thrusday or Friday night event by 2 pm of the respective day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to organize a "dutch-treat" dinner event for members and fellow collectors at the upcoming SOS show in Louisville, KY for Thursday night, 2-23-06.

If you would like to join the group, please let me know you are interested so we can pull a head-count together for dinner reservations.

You can let me know on the forum or via my email at pebbink@pacbell.net

Hopefully we can have dinner around 7-7:30 pm...

Also let me know what price range for dinner costs you might be interested in as this will help determine what type of restaurant we should select :

1. Less than $ 15/dinner

2. $ 15 to $ 30/dinner

3. Over $ 30/dinner

I will also have a "hard" sign-up sheet on Jerry Martin's/George Anderson's table. Please try to sign the sheet by 2 pm on Thursday, so I can call our reservation into the restaurant...

If you have not signed up on the List at the show, I will assume you will not join us (even though you may have indicated on the forum you would...). This is the only way we can get a true idea of head-count before we make the reservation (and I leave my credit card info. with the restaurant to hold the reservation...).

(As a special treat...I understand one of the attending members from Belgium has offered to provide some nice wines for our enjoyment as well at dinner...which he will travel with to the show.)

Look forward to folks joining us at the SOS dinner event !!!
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Pete, You might want to consider moving dinner to Friday night so those of us setting up on the gunshow side can also attend. Tom Heller
Unread 02-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I suggested Friday also, but Pete has to fly out Friday evening. It would be a darned shame for the guy that is setting it up not to be able to attend. I can make either night.
Unread 02-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
thegundude
User

Please forgive my stupidity, but what and where is the SOS show? Not sure that I can attend but I'd like to try...

I understand that there's a gunshow in Louisville, KY but not the rest of the particulars...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

Steve,

Here is the link to the SOS event hosted by the Ohio Valley Military Society.

http://www.sosovms.com/show_of_shows.htm

Their event runs Thursday, Friday, Sat. and partial Sun. Yuu need to be a member to attend on Thursday (1st day with all the good luger deals). You can buy a membership at the door on Thurs. The public is welcomed on Fri and Sat only.

The National Gun Day event runs next door in the same convention center on Sat/Sun. (many guns sold at SOS on Thursday) end up being resold at higher $$'s at tghe NGD event...
Unread 02-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Ron and Tom,

I am keeping track of folks interest in either a Thurs or Fri night SOS event...

If it looks like more folks want a Friday event...we can change it but I will just miss the event...not a big deal...I just cannot get out of my work commitment on Sat. back in CA ...
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
thegundude
User

Thanks Pete... I'll try to find room on my plate, but it's kind of getting close to time...

We'll see that the better half says...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

I am confused. Gunlist magazine lists a National Gun Day show at the same fairgrounds but in different buildings for Feb 25 & 26. People here are talking about a SOS show for the 23rd thru the 26th that requires a membership. Are these two different gun shows? Both shows show a lot of tables. If these are two different shows, then which one is the one that most of us will be at? I was seriously thinking about going but I thought that I would make the eight hour drive on Friday and catch the show on Saturday and Sunday. Do I now have to plan on leaving on Wednesday and being at the shows Thursday thru Sunday? If this is two shows then there are some 4,000 tables going to be available. That doesn't leave a lot of time for fun chit chat. I am a big motor mouth. There are a lot of guys on this forum that I would love to meet. There are some guys from the forum that I would like to do more with than simply wave at. Pete and Ron Wood are just two of many of them. I could break my shoulders carrying a display bag of Lugers that I want to brag about for four days.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Norm,
Pete Ebbink sent me this clarification earlier this week;

"The SOS event runs from Thursday 12 noon to Sunday 12 noon.
Here is the SOS web site info.
http://www.sosovms.com/show_of_shows.htm

The NGD show is next door (same convention complex...) and runs Sat and Sunday for the public. I think the exhibitors for NGD set up on Friday afternoon.
Last year the SOS hall was noticeable emptied out my mid-day Friday when those sellers at the SOS show leave their tables, empty, and move over to set-up for the NGD show."

We're going in Thursday PM and will leave Sunday. Hope to see you there. Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

Idoman,
thanks for the information. What is the cost of a membership pass? I would like to get in on Thursday so that I can meet Pete before he has to go home to California. Does that pass get us in for free on the other days? Will that membership be good for the August show? I may get there on Wednesday to look for a hotel or something. But Friday sounds like its a dead day with the table people moving from one hall to the next. I gotta think that one out. Its a long drive from Detroit so I would like to have a room before I go to the show. Then I can drop dead after the show or (maybe) the party and get some rest for the next day. I hope to meet a lot of people from the forum and I hope to go to the party. Four thousand tables with both shows are a heck of a lot of tables to walk around. Finding a room will be the hard part and could screw up any time schedule. This is my first time to this show. But I still have time to worry about what to do.

I will be wearing a white cowboy hat (thanks to maroboro coupons) so that people will be able to spot me. So don't be afraid to say "HI!".
Big Norm
Unread 02-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #11
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Norm,

I think you can buy an OVMS membership at the door for $ 35.00. That will get you in for free and other OVMS shows/events for free the remainder of the year.

Get to the show hall early as the line for folks paying for memberships at the door is quite long...

Look forward to finally meeting you in person !
Unread 02-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
Big Norm
RIP

Pete,
I am definately going (my first time at this show) and I want to go to any dinner or get together of forum members. Since you are leaving early, where would I meet you on Thursday at the SOS show? So far I have a reserved room at the Exec West Motel for Thursday but I may decide to leave Wednesday since its such a long drive and I want to be rested for all the shows. I still have to find a room for Friday and Saturday nights since the Exec West is all booked for those days.
Big Norm
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Norm and others,

If you can find the tables where the sign-up sheets will be located, I will have my cellular phone number listed there and will have a column on the sign-up sheets for others to do so (if they want). This will allow participants to make note of cell phone numbers and we can call each other if we cannot locate them during the show.

I think the show has a table locator service at the entry door...i.e. listing of table owner's name and table location...the shign-up sheet will be under Jerry Martin's name...a friend of George Anderson.

I should be able to find you from your Rogue's Gallery photo and that hat you will be wearing...

At dinner...I was thinking of bringing along those silly "Hello, my name is ___" peel & stick labels for folks to wear...
Unread 02-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
Big Norm
RIP

Pete,
I am better looking than the picture in the Rouge's Gallery. Jennifer Lopez keeps bothering me for my autograph so I try not to look too good in my pictures so that other starlettes don't do the same thing.
Big Norm
Unread 02-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
Pete Ebbink
User

Default 2-16-06 Update

UPDATED : 2-16-06 :

Thursday night if filling up with over 20 folks and Friday night has 9-10 folks so far. Thursday will be held to 20 or so folks...so late sign-ups will need to switch to Friday once the Thursday list is full.

We will have the sign-up lists at the Jerry Martin/George Anderson tables at the SOS show on Thursday and Friday. Names of attendees will be penciled in (in the order I received your emails...) but you must still sign your name to the list in person once you arrive at the SOS show. This will "confirm" your place for that dinner event. Once the Thursday night list is at capacity, folks will need to switch to the Friday list. Folks whose name is penciled in but do not sign, will be dropped from the list for other folks...

We still need a "volunteer" to organize the Friday night event, i.e. chose a restaurant and make the reservation. Contact me if you want to do this for the Friday night event at pebbink@pacbell.net.

I will publish the list of names of the Thursday and Friday night events this Sunday. Details of the restaurant and dinner start time for Thursday night will be posted this Sunday as well. Member Joop has chosen a nice place, worked out a dinner menu with the chef in the price option # 2 range, and wines will be awaiting the Thursday night diners.
Unread 02-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #16
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Pete, I look forward to meeting you at the SOS. Please pencil Tom Heller and Charliie Justmann in for Thursday night. If necessary we can swithch to Friday. Thanks, Tom
Unread 02-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #17
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Tom,

Thursday's sign-up is full...but I will wait to see who signs in in person on Thursday at the show. If we cannot squeeze you and your friend in on Thursday, the Friday list is still open and filling up...

I will place your two names on Friday's list, for now, just to be safe...

On another matter :

We still need a volunteer for Friday's event...to pick a restaurant and make reservations and possibly hold it with a CC number...any takers ???

I will be leaving the SOS show on Friday around 3 pm to catch my plane back home...so cannot do this for the Friday event.
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:28 AM   #18
Big Norm
RIP

Pete,
I want to meet everyone from the forum that I can. Did (will) you put me down for both meetings?But if you decide that I should go to only one meeting, then make it for Thursday so that I can definately meet you. I got room at that the Exec West for 02/22 and 02/23. I also have a room at the Ramada for the 02/24 and 02/25. I'm going to be one tired puppy when I get back home. For those of you who have written to me over the years, I am leaving my dachshund, Bucky, with a friend, so there is no need for you all to fear for your lives.
Big Norm
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:43 AM   #19
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Norm,

I had you down for Thursday...but will also place you name on the Friday list...

Do you want to volunteer to organize the Friday dinner event ?
Unread 02-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #20
Pete Ebbink
User

All,

Please find below the dinner sign-up lists for Thursday and Friday night.

Please remember these Lists are not confirmed and you will need to sign your name in person (and leave a cellular phone number if possible) on the List when you arrive at the SOS show. This is the only way we will know all folks who said they will attend the show and join the groups for dinner are actually are present, physically at the show and have not change their minds about attending the dinners.

For Thursday, please sign the List by 3 pm. This will allow us to re-confirm with the chef our head-count for Thursday night.

For Friday, we still need someone to step-up and â??volunteerâ? to organize the event (i.e. pick a restaurant, make reservations for the group, and possibly leave a CC number to hold the groupâ??s reservation). I am afraid if we do not get a volunteer, the Friday night dinner event may just â??evaporateâ?â?¦please contact me at pebbink@pacbell.net if you want to be the volunteer.

For Thursday night, the restaurant at the Executive Inn West was chosen. The maximum number of diners the chef has held us to is 23 diners (no exceptions, sorry). A 3-course dinner in the price option # 2 (between $ 15 and $ 30) was worked out by Joop and the executive chef. Our Thursday night party will be seated in their private â??Aberdeenâ? room. We would like folks on Thursday to be at the restaurant by 7 pm for some pre-dinner wine and dinner will promptly be served by 7:30 pm. Please try not to be late.

The folks on the Thursday night list include (but please remember to sign the List at the SOS show at the Jerry Martin/George Anderson tables by 3 pm on Thursday) :

1. Pete Ebbink
2. Joop van de Kant
3. Tom Beasley
4. Ron Wood
5. Bob Adams
6. Warren Buxton
7. Lloyd Duff
8. Dean Gizzi
9. Lee Gizzi
10. Frank Houser
11. Frank Houser guest # 1
12. Frank Houser guest # 2
13. George Anderson
14. John Miller
15. Tom Armstrong
16. Bob Summers
17. Norm Topple
18. Doug Smith
19. Ken Clark
20. Doug Smith guest # 1
21. Ed van Rossen
22. Tom Heller
23. Charles Justman

The folks on the Friday night list include (but please remember to sign the List at the SOS show at the Jerry Martin/George Anderson tables by 3 pm on Friday) :

1. John Eckert
2. Mike Bordelon
3. Dave Molchen
4. Lyn Islaub
5. Lyn Islaub guest # 1
6. Mark Castel
7. Bob Feldman
8. Boris Shekunov
9. Tom Aiena
10. __________
11. __________
12. __________
13. __________
14. __________
15. __________

If there are â??openingsâ? on the Thursday night list by 3 pm on Thursday afternoon, I will go down the Friday night list (using folks cell numbers they hopefully will leave on the List) to see if anyone from Friday wants to switch to Thursday. I will call those on the Friday list from top down, in the order they signed up for Friday. I realize some folks only get to KY early Friday morning and cannot join the Thursday group.

Thursday got much more popular with folks once the word about Joopâ??s generous offer for free, fine wines with dinner got outâ?¦