LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 10-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Chuckc
User

Default Luger transportation in post 9/11 world?

I have not transported a firearm on an airline since 9/11. I would like to hear about how some of you transport these lugers to gun shows where you have to fly.

You can't carry them on, I am sure, but are you comfortable checking them and letting the baggage gorillas handle them? What kind of cases? Insurance? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Unread 10-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I have transported 2 or 3 times with guns, (and fly once to several times a month on my own). No real changes, must be a hard case, must be lockable, must be checked by the TSA before being locked to ensure it is unloaded. Since TSA takes it and then hands it to baggage, I hope they don't treat it too rough...

I have seperate gun collector insurance (pay about $120 a year) and it covers travel, so yes, I don't worry about the TSA or baggage handlers.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Like Ed, I have transported pistols on airplanes and I would agree with Ed's statements above ---- with two additions. The first is to arrive at the airport earlier than usual, since the firearms must be declared to the ticket agents first who will give you a tag to put with them. Then you are off to TSA. Be early as sometimes there can be lines.

Second, pick a metal gun case or a very heavy plastic one - as they can stand being bounced around. Depending on the number of pistols, I would suggest either a single or double (take down) shotgun case. Small enough to be carried (if it does not have wheels) and big enough not to get misplaced.
Unread 10-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
sambuscemi
User

Chuckc: I do it all the time. You must declare the weapon at check in (be slow and precise in your declaration and explain that it is an antique firearm) and be prepare to make it available for inspection if asked. In most cases they are curious to see an old weapon especially a luger. It must be out of battery and open with the magazine removed from the gun. Some airlines may ask you to break it down if possible and separate the receiver from the rest of the gun and check them in their own individual hard cases. Ammo must not be in with the gun. The case or cases must be of the hard case variety with a lock and it is usually a good idea be to have an additional lock like a master lock also preventing the case/cases from being opened - this lock can be wrapped around the handle. It would be a good idea to bring the extra hard case even if never used to be on the save side if asked to break the luger apart. You will sign a document that says the gun is unloaded and out of battery and accept all responsibility for its transport. This document will then be put in the case and you will lock it and it will be checked with your other luggage. Usually I put it into another suitcase that have my clothes packed within. There is nothing on the outside of your luggage that states or suggests there is a gun inside. Once checked, it will arrive at your destination and you will pick it up just like you would your ordinary luggage and no one will be the wiser. Make sure you have the registration for the weapon to prove that it is yours also. You can not transport a weapon that is not yours. As far as insurance goes that is between you and your insurance company as far as I know. Airlines do not provide insurance for the transportation of weapons last time I asked. By the way the rules for transporting a weapon have not really changed even since 9/11 just more observation of the law and adhering to the details of the law. Nothing lax today. They actually now check all the details in every declaration to the letter of the law. There were many instances where inspections were rare - just sign the document , stick it in the case, check it in and pick it up at your destination. Nothing that easy any more. Same procedure just alot of eyes watching to make sure everything is perfect and to the letter of the law. Hope this helps.
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Chuckc
User

Thanks for the update. I used to transport target rifles to matches and even got away with putting the ammo in the same case. Can you even transport ammo now?

I guess from the responses you do not need a separate case for each pistol (?).
Unread 10-16-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Correct -- You do not need a separate case for each pistol.
Unread 10-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
sambuscemi
User

Usually you do not need a separate case for each pistol/weapon but some airlines limit the number of guns you can put in any one case and that appears to be totally at the discretion of the airline. The best thing to do is call the airline ahead of time.
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2005, 01:08 AM   #8
hqbmw
User

Before I travel, I go to the website of the airline I am using to review their specific restrictions. It can be helpful to you if you print out their rules and check off on each of them that you abide to. I think everyone else hit on most of the points i check each time.

I also go to the site: packing.org before going into a state I am unfamiliar with. An enormous cache of information is contained on the site including links to each states Government and their specific laws.

Buy a copy of the book: The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States. It is very helpful especially if you have a CCW and intend to carry wherever you travel.

Jack Hiles
Mesa, AZ
Unread 10-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #9
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I am not trying to break any laws, but since a Luger is so simple to break down, why not pack the frame in one suitcase and the rest in another? Why would you even have to declare their presence since it is only parts? Is this not legal? Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
policeluger
RIP

No...it is not a matter of parts, it the numbered frame that will get you everytime...
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
I am not trying to break any laws, but since a Luger is so simple to break down, why not pack the frame in one suitcase and the rest in another? Why would you even have to declare their presence since it is only parts? Is this not legal? Mike
This is legality and you sure don't want to mess with that. Trying to hide anything and it gets found out is automatic consification, and possible jail time. Not worth it. I had "parts" to a luger, but I made sure I declared it, as it wasn't worth it to me to have it show up on the x-rays, and the x-rays that they have for luggage is much stronger than the ones for carry on.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2005, 12:02 AM   #12
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks guys. I didn't know the frame was as strickly regulated as the weapon itself. I am planning to attend the Louisville show in February and will be carrying several Lugers. I guess I should start looking for the keys to my rifle case.
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2005, 02:09 AM   #13
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

With a Luger, the frame "is" the weapon.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote