LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-15-2001, 06:16 PM   #1
Ray
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Gastapo Lugers

Gentlemen:

First of all, thanks for the information regarding which commercial ammunition to use for a shooter. This morning an individual advertised a Luger for sale in the classified section of the paper. He referred to it as a Gestapo Luger.How does one determine if indeed he is correct? Such claims often leave you with the sense,once you later find out the real truth, that you should have had a cigarette directly after the purchase. Thanks !

Ray

Unread 05-15-2001, 06:59 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Gastapo Lugers

Ray,

Unless there is irrefutable proof that the Gestapo used a particular weapon, go ahead and get ready for the cigartette! I have heard that some "dealers" will classify the "Blackwidow" Luger as a Gestapo Luger. Before buying this weapon, have the seller provide documents to prove it is Gestapo. If they appear real, have it authenticated before passing any money. I would almost make a bet it is a standard Blackwidow Luger.

I do have a friend in Europe who is in possesion of a REAL Gestapo Luger with the agents Arrest Warrent Disc, his papers, and other docusments he had hiden away since the war. My friend received this pistol and all documents proving he was Gestapo after his friends death. My friend had known this gentleman since the late 1940s and never knew what he did in the war. The pistol is a standard Luger with NO identifying marks as to it's past history, only the real documents.

Marvin

Unread 05-15-2001, 07:24 PM   #3
bill m
User

Hi Ray,

Gastapo (thats a good one) -- anyway, there is no such thing actually. It was "coined" up by some dealer to promote sales of the byf's. They are standard military issue Lugers, whose nickname has caught on. The Gestapo had the wood grips and the SS had the black plastic was the idea, which is totally false. They are both just standard German Army issued lugers that happen to have wood or black plastic grips, that all. Marvins Gestapo Luger story is an interesting one, which would only have any merit because there are papers with it and you can trace the man and the history of the gun. Very few can ever be documented.

Unread 05-15-2001, 07:32 PM   #4
Thor
User

Default Re: Gastric Lugers

Let's dont forget about the Personal Luger of that Famous General DWM, (lots of those our there) Sure..his intials are on the toggle link!

Unread 05-15-2001, 07:48 PM   #5
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ray, bill m is absolutely correct. The Luger is a standard Military Mauser byf. Marvin's friend is a special case when it can be backed up with documentation.

Unread 05-15-2001, 07:57 PM   #6
Ad

Default He, he--General DWM

I KNEW that salesman was lieing; telling me the car had belonged to President Lincoln. Just in case, though, I DID buy Ford's own Mustang.

Unread 05-15-2001, 08:43 PM   #7
MK

Not only are Black Widows "Gestapo" pistols (not), many Black Widows didn't start out that way. Somewhere along the way a lot of byf 41/42 pistols picked up repro black plastic grips and not only became Gestapo pistols, but Black Widows as well.

Mike

Unread 05-15-2001, 11:23 PM   #8
Johnny Peppers
User

The Gestapo existed. The Black Widow didn't. The "Black Widow" was a great marketing strategy to make the Lugers with black plastic grips and unnumbered plastic bottom magazines more marketable. It worked.

Unread 05-15-2001, 11:26 PM   #9
Milt Keller
User

Default Re: Gastric Lugers

Good point 'ol boy!

Milt

Unread 05-16-2001, 05:09 AM   #10
Mike T.

Default Re: Black Widows

Someone on this board (I believe that it was Ted, but I'm not sure) said that Ralph Shattuck coined the term "Black Widow" with amazing success.

I always believed that anyone who does not like Black Widows actually suffers from "plastic envy" and merely resents those who can oil their guns without worrying about staining those absorbent walnut grips.

Unread 05-16-2001, 07:02 AM   #11
Thor
User

Ralph did tell me that! And you are right, you dont have to work about staining those grips with oil! I actually like the dark black aspect of those as well as a nice rust blued DWM with pretty strawing and light colored grips, just look at the Luger forum patch, he shows both of these variations. Best of both worlds! Ted

Unread 05-16-2001, 07:32 AM   #12
Johnny Peppers
User

If you are fond of man made materials on your Lugers, you would really like a pair of the old Fitz grips in the imitation staghorn pattern. You could really slather on the oil with no feelings of guilt.

Unread 05-16-2001, 08:08 AM   #13
Mike T.

Imitation staghorn on a Luger? Even I have some pride.

Unread 05-16-2001, 10:00 AM   #14
Thor
User

Default Re: Gastapo Lugers/SS Model

I guess we could dream up a name for the new Stainless Steel Lugers and call them an "SS" model. None of these names have any historical background, just dreamt up "stuff"

~Thorboy~

Unread 05-16-2001, 10:07 AM   #15
Aaron
Banned

Default Don't Forget General Erfurt

My Luger has General Erfurt's name engraved along with his family crown crest. Price: $35,000

Unread 05-16-2001, 10:21 AM   #16
Thor
User

Default Re: Don't Forget General Erfurt

Shoot...........ah shucks....all these years I thought it was KING ERFURT!! That darn crown threw me off!

Unread 05-17-2001, 07:13 PM   #17
Dok
RIP

Default You're both VERY confused...

it was ACTUALLY Prince Erfurt, successor to the House of Hanover... I'm really quite surprised that "Lugar" experts like you guys didn't know that.