LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
gundogblue
New User

Default Luger problem

Hi All,
Im brand-new here, and new to Lugers, first off, I've been shooting 1911's all my life and I know absolutely nothing about Lugers, I've never even held, or shot one until last week-end. A good friend of mine inherited a 1916 Erfurd Luger from his father, it's a real nice gun, it's a low serial#, there is no letter prefix before, or after the serial#, and all the numbers on the gun match. The only things that are not original is the magazine (it has a white plastic bottom, and no serial#) and the grips. The gun has been re-finished at some point, but it was a very good re-finishing job. I was told that Lugers need to be shot with "hot ammo" I dismissed that idea when I first heard it, I don't shoot hot loads out of any of my guns, I just don't see a need for it. We took the gun to the range last Friday, the ammo we had on hand was Winchester white-box, UMC, and my hand-loads which are 4grs of Bullseye behind a 115gr round nose bullet. The luger would'nt fire two rnds in a row, the gun would either stove-pipe, or fail to eject the empty case from the chamber!! Could I be wrong, do Lugers really need hot loads to function properly, or are we dealing with some other problem? Im trying to help my friend, but it's like the blind leading the blind, as I've said I know nothing about Lugers except that we were able to fire one shot at a time, and I was amazed at how acurate that little gun is, at 10 yrds, I could put everything in the bullseye. Any help on this will be greatly appriciated.
Paul
gundogblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Hey Paul,
Try http://www.hlebooks.com/ebook/eluger1.htm
This e-book costs $7.95, which--per dollar--just may be the best Luger investment you could make at this point. Though barely more than a dozen pages, it will give you a basic understanding of the Luger System's mechanical function, including the issue of ammunition.
And if you have any further questions, the sages here at the forum will assist you, as you may see.
I am pretty new, and it helped me a lot to prepare for my first Luger.
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to ithacaartist for your post:
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Conny
User

I would try something simple first. Use a different magazine.
Unread 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Lugers do not need, nor do they function well with hot ammo. In fact hot loads will beat a Luger, literally, to pieces.

The Winchester White Box is a good moderate choice. I have had good results with S&B also. Lugers function best with a firm stiff wristed grip.

As Duane states, try a different magazine. They can get finiky with a bad magazine.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ron Smith for your post:
Unread 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
gundogblue
New User

Thanks much for the advice, can anyone recommend a good aftermarket mag, or should my friend try to get an original Luger mag?
Thanks,
Paul
gundogblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Ron Smith
User

The 'Mec-Gar' magazines are probably the best for the price. A good original magazine will run $100 to $150 or more, and even then may not function in that particular Luger.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Mec-Gar mag.
Winchester white box of Sellar and Beloit 115 gr. FMJ ammo.
Clean and well lube the gun.
Don't jam that last round into the magazine.
Grip it tightly when you fire it.
Be understanding. After all it was around before grandpa.
Have Fun.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Ugluk
User

Check the ejector and the extractor for damage.

I am by no means an expert, but I've found that my gun will rarely eject cases from hot loads.

I believe I've found the sweetspot to be around 1020-1080fps with a cast 128gr lead bullet.

My new Mec-gar magazine needed a bit of lip adjustment to feed these, and I load them as long as will fit in the mags.
Ugluk is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ugluk for your post:
Unread 05-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundogblue View Post
Hi All,
Im brand-new here, and new to Lugers, first off, I've been shooting 1911's all my life and I know absolutely nothing about Lugers, I've never even held, or shot one until last week-end. A good friend of mine inherited a 1916 Erfurd Luger from his father, it's a real nice gun, it's a low serial#, there is no letter prefix before, or after the serial#, and all the numbers on the gun match. The only things that are not original is the magazine (it has a white plastic bottom, and no serial#) and the grips. The gun has been re-finished at some point, but it was a very good re-finishing job. I was told that Lugers need to be shot with "hot ammo" I dismissed that idea when I first heard it, I don't shoot hot loads out of any of my guns, I just don't see a need for it. We took the gun to the range last Friday, the ammo we had on hand was Winchester white-box, UMC, and my hand-loads which are 4grs of Bullseye behind a 115gr round nose bullet. The luger would'nt fire two rnds in a row, the gun would either stove-pipe, or fail to eject the empty case from the chamber!! Could I be wrong, do Lugers really need hot loads to function properly, or are we dealing with some other problem? Im trying to help my friend, but it's like the blind leading the blind, as I've said I know nothing about Lugers except that we were able to fire one shot at a time, and I was amazed at how acurate that little gun is, at 10 yrds, I could put everything in the bullseye. Any help on this will be greatly appriciated.
Paul

Paul,
I am glad that you found this forum. I saw your post over on another forum and tried to pursuade you NOT to use hot ammo. The folks here are extremely well versed in the Luger, and you can believe their recommendations, over the "experts" that are located elsewhere.

Take the gun apart, clean it well, as it might have some very old grease located within. Inspect the extractor and ejector....also the breachface. Lube it. A new mag and good ammo(try 2-3 different brands of 115gr-124gr FMJ), and give it a try. Good luck.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

A couple of possibilities:

- Grip is often the problem. Good tight solid support is needed for a Luger to cycle properly

- Recoil spring. You might consider a new spring set. Wolfe has a set with three different recoil springs. The WW-I Lugers use a 18 turn spring (WW-II Mausers use one with more coils).

Marc
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
Freischütz
User

Not to steal this thread, but where did the idea that Lugers need "hot" loads come from? I've seen this comment on many other forums.

Did anyone here solve a functioning problem by using hot loads? I tried some in a 1937 and in a 1970s Mauser. Neither pistol cycled correctly. Both worked well with loads in the the 1050 to 1100 fps range.
Freischütz is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Freischütz for your post:
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

During WW2 Mauser increased the strength of the PO8 recoil spring from 19 turns to 21, so that use of the hotter WW2 SMG ammo would not damage the pistol. This is probably the root of the "hot ammo" myth. The problem with rebuilt, reblued shooters, you don't know if a proper recoil (and other) spring has been installed, so even with a new MG mag, it's a matter of trial & error as to what ammo works best. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 05-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugerdoc View Post
During WW2 Mauser increased the strength of the PO8 recoil spring from 19 turns to 21...
Tom -

(If my may be so bold as to call you "Tom") - Was that just Mauser or did all manufacturers increase the coils to 21???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

P, The only other PO8 manufacturer during WW2 was Kreighoff and I don't know what they did. Perhaps one of our KH experts can answer your question. TH
Unread 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugerdoc View Post
P, The only other PO8 manufacturer during WW2 was Kreighoff...
My bad...I was thinking that all 5 mfg's were still making them...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
Lliam
User

hello again Ugluk;
Please elaborate on how you "adjusted" the lip of your mags.
When I bought my Luger it hat three mags (Sorry, no pics) one was Mauser original, works fine.
2 was unmarked but the bottom plug fingerhold had a bullseye pattern.
3 was marked "Made In Holland" and won't feed 3 in a row.
All three have black plastic fingergrips.

By the way, I'm working on a Lucite tool to open the action for jam cleaning. Pics when complete and working.
Lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Ugluk
User

Hi Lliam
Please don't confuse me withsomeone experienced and skilled. There may be a lot better ways than what I did.

A little tool with a hacksaw slit makes it possible to adjust the lips without effort and damage.
I got my Luger with a well feeding mag and bought a Mec-Gar that didn't. I put two rounds in each and looked and measured how high and at what angle the top rounds sat.
Then I adjusted the mec-gar lips in until the mags were roughly equal.
The original one still is a hair better than the Mec-Gar so I'm not there yet, but it is a close thing now. A new main spring really improved things as well and I expect stronger magsprings would too.

There's real pros here that know how it's really done. Hopefully they'll call in and help out.

Cheers
Conny, Sweden
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	19268  

Click image for larger version

Name:	adjusting.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	19269  

Unread 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
Lliam
User

Very clever! What's the punch end for, the base retaining pins?
Lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
Ugluk
User

Actually, I made it for the extractor pin. But I discovered that in a pinch the striker will do just as well. Just a little field tool for what the loading tool won't do..
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #20
rocky3
User

Hi all, I also am new here, and I have bought my first Luger P08 DWM. Shadow dog 500 on U Tube was best thing ever for me. I have now detailed striped my Luger and cleaned out gunk from years of neglect. Next project, when I get up nerve, is to remove and detail strip the recoil spring. I can't figure how to or why the twist on the spring as Shadow dog did.
I'm now trying to find a magazine release spring, mine is broken.
best to everyone..Rocky3
rocky3 is offline   Reply With Quote