LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Bill I
User

Default Newbie Questions Luger Value

Guys
Help a newbie out?

1. I want to buy a luger my price range is 1000 -2000

2. i also would like to shoot is occasionally does this make sense or should i just find a shooter for less money.

3. What is fair price for shooter and should it have matching numbers?

4. has anyone ever bought from Mr luger his prices seem reasonable but the quality of Luger's are not as nice as say Simpson's.

5, Finally I'm leaning to the idea of buying a luger with some collectible value but as said above want to shoot it once in a while any suggestions on where to purchase? i thinking swiss army
90 % blue to 85% straw all matching # Can you recommend a reputable source and some idea of cost?

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by Bill I; 08-30-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: speling
Bill I is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
newluger
User

Bill, Welcome to the Forum.

I am far from being an expert, but I am going to try and answer some of your questions, There are a lot of experts on this Forum, and I am sure that they will give you some very good advice. Being that your price range is $1000. to $2000, that may be enough to get you a collectable. However, if you want to shoot your Luger, you would be much better off buying a shooter, which should fall into the $600 to $700 range. A collectable usually has all matching numbers, while a shooter will not. If it's a collectable, and you do shoot it, and a numbered part breaks, the value goes down quickly. Therefore, if you want to shoot it, you might be better off buying a shooter. Watch the forum, as there are many shooters offered at reasonable prices.

As a suggestion, check the Forum daily, and you just might find what you are looking for. Since you mentioned Mr. Luger, I might suggest you keep an eye open for offerings from the Luger Doc. Here's hoping that I was able to answer some of your questions.

Peter
newluger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to newluger for your post:
Unread 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi Bill, and welcome to the forum.

If you want to shoot your Luger, I'd recommend buying a "shooter" grade pistol. You can get some that are quite nice, and that won't lose value if a part gets broken.

A "shooter" should cost $1000 or less. You should be able to get a very nice 9mm "shooter" for that money.

By definition, a "shooter" will have something that reduces collector interest. Perhaps finish condition issues. Perhaps non-matching parts.

Something all matching, original finish and in 85% or better condition would generally be considered collectable. Break a numbered part, and it loses 40% or more of it's financial value, and it's historic value.

Watch the for sale area of this forum.

"misterluger.com" looks like a hacked website. It tries to run a file when you connect to it. Sounds fishy to me.

Marc
Unread 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
beachbaker
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bill, you should know that Swiss army Luger's are 7.65 caliber which makes for expensive shooting compared to 9mm. Also, a nice Swiss pistol will hit the high end of your budget. Consider a nice shooter for $700-800 and save your money for a nice Swiss to appreciate as they are almost a work of art. Curt
Unread 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Bill I
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbaker View Post
Bill, you should know that Swiss army Luger's are 7.65 caliber which makes for expensive shooting compared to 9mm. Also, a nice Swiss pistol will hit the high end of your budget. Consider a nice shooter for $700-800 and save your money for a nice Swiss to appreciate as they are almost a work of art. Curt
Curt,
I appreciate your comments seem the best thing to do is buy a shooter. What about one of the newer models from Mauser I guess their replicas but they look nice.
I viewed some swiss models at Simpson they seemed very clean 90 % blue to 85% straw around the $2500.00 does this seem reasonable to you. Can you suggest any other places to search.

bill
Unread 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
beachbaker
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=303680839

Bill, here is one for sale that the straw and blue are probably 98%. The thing is the Swiss would periodically take their guns back and refurbish them. It is totally acceptable to buy these as original as the Swiss did this to all their Luger's. Sometimes this model is referred to as an 06/24 Bern as they were the only ones made with the nice border on their grips. I have no interest in this gun but bring it up as an example. By the way I would never buy a Swiss that was not at least 96% as they took very fine care of their guns so you expect them to be very nice. Curt
Unread 08-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Bill I
User

Curt,
thank you for the info and the timely response. I have been researching luger for about a month or so and find the information conflicting and confusing to the new investor like myself. I appreciate the time you have taken to help enlighten me a bit... knowledge is powerfully especially when it come to Luger's.
Have you purchased many Luger's? Are you familiar with site called Mr luger ? Walt has called me once or twice want to sell me a 1920 commercial for 900.00. Says the numbers match at least the "one he can see"? That comment "the ones he can see" bothers me since he sells a number of luger on Guns America and certainly must be capable of confirming if all # match?
Anyway wonder if you had ever delt or heard anything about him.

Thanks Again

Bill
Unread 08-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
beachbaker
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I do not know of him personally so I can not comment. Again make sure it is not a 7.65 as many are. If I were you I would spend some time on this forum as well as the Jan Still forum and become educated and buy a couple of books. There are always shooters coming up for sale as there are no shortages of them. Curt
Unread 08-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Bill I
User

Curt,
yes, will do more research have purchased two books luger at Random and Luger tips both have been helpful as has your comments.

thanks agian

bill
Unread 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

Bill I:

Be very careful and get names and "handles" correctly stated so as to not add to an already sort of bad scenario of nasty comments being made on this forum. We don't need nasty comments being made regarding people who are misnamed.
Careful is the best advice.
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to CAP Black for your post:
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

just gonna throw this in here, if someone tries to sell you a "collector" grade luger be it commercial or otherwise and they state its all matching as far as the numbers they can see .....dont do it .its a hassle and waste of money trust me.
if its a shooter then no big deal as long as it functions.
also make sure all internal parts are in good condition and present. nothing like paying 900 for a luger to shoot and find out you have to replace a bunch of ancient parts that are broken or break shortly after you buy it.

also 7.65 (.30 luger) is about 32.00 a box shipped ( good luck finding any at a gunstore )
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,434 Posts

Mr luger ? Walt has called me once or twice Says the numbers match at least the "one he can see"? That comment "the ones he can see" bothers me

It SHOULD bother you! A guy with a name like Mr. Luger says something like that? I would lose his phone number...I know a lot of collectors and dealers..I might even know Walt..whoever he is but no one trying to sell you a Luger for 900 bucks should say anything but..I went thru this pistol with a fine tooth comb and all numbers match..or they don't. Pretty simple. A buyer DESERVES at least that much.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
Bill I
User

Thank I appreciate all the advice trying to navigate my way to first purchase.
Unread 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Bill I
User

Now that kind of simple advice that will help appreciated Bill I
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
RAY1946
User

Default Shooter Luger

Hi Bill,..........Since everyone else has given you an idea of what a shooter Luger is, I thought I might add my $.02.

I too wanted a shooter Luger and last year I took the plunge. Last October I purchased an Interarms Mauser Parabellum with a 6" barrel in 9mm. There was a small amount of wear to the bluing, but overall the rest of it is perfect. Two months later I was able to purchase another Mauser Parabellum in 7.65mm, also with a 6" barrel. As far as I am concerned; I HAVE IT ALL!

After carefully weighing all the issues, I chose one of the Mauser Parabellums for the following reasons; The guns were manufactured NEW between 1969 and 1986, Everyone of these guns I have ever seen has been in Excellent+ or better, you only pay TOP dollar for them if they are part of a RIG: Box, test target,manuel, extra clip and tool.

These are fun guns and shoot much better than I can hold. The really nice thing is you are NOT shooting or destroying a piece of history that was produced 65-115 years ago. I have some reservations about putting modern ammunition thru pistols that have been thru GOD only knows how many wars or battles.

I reload and make my own cast bullets. I have an abundent supply of 9mm brass and about 500 rndsof 7.65mm brass I purchased from Starline. If you are careful with the reloading, you can get at least 10 reloads from each rnd of brass and reduce the cost of shooting either caliber to $.06 to $.09 a round, depending on the kind of powder you use.

Lugers are great fun, have a good time......................
RAY1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
pitsword
User

Hugh,
That is super nice. Did you do the grips? Kidding Sir, Someday, someway I might also have one as nice.
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,434 Posts

Hugh..That's a beauty for sure..Couldn't upgrade that one for condition..

Want me to move it to the For Sale section?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
Hugh
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Hugh..That's a beauty for sure..Couldn't upgrade that one for condition..

Want me to move it to the For Sale section?
Jerry, Might as well; it is on Gunbroker!!!