LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 01-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
hfp75
New User

Default Luger Mags.... PLZ Help...

I am looking at buying these two mags that are really parts kits as they will need new bottoms and maybe even springs.

My FIRST question is what are they worth and are they original WW2 Luger mags ?

SECOND question, would it be better to get these, put in a new spring and bottom or to simply buy aftermarket new production mags ?

I can get a pic of the spine of the mags if needed...

PICS:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps83603a7e.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...psce80c3a9.jpg

THANKS

H
hfp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Yes they are correct ww1 mags. Depends on what you want them for. If for shooter mags there are better mags than these. My preference would be the later ww2 fxo mags. The mags you asked about can be properly fixed for use by GT. (may be contacted on this forum) Bill
Unread 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

H - ...

as Bill said, everything depends on what the use is for them?

Anything you buy as parts, luger parts, cars, etc, my experience is that it ends up costing more than nice parts to start with
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 01-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
hfp75
New User

they will be shooter mags.... I'm gonna use them....

If in the end they will feed & hold the toggle better then a MecGar after market mag then I'll fix'em up but if its gonna be the same then I'll get new production mags...

fix the old ones or buy aftermarket ones... ??? what will be more reliable?

In Canada Luger stuff isn't common and can be pricey.
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,582 Times in 989 Posts
Default best choice??

Hi Hans, actually, both of your original suggestions would be a good idea.. restore the two magazine assemblies to what ever state of originality you find acceptable.. And purchase MEC-GAR magazines for shooting, either stock or enhanced! .... I've mentioned this before, but, with the remote possible exception of some Haneal pre-war or wartime magazines, the (current new) MEC-GAR magazines are the best Luger magazines ever made... for two reasons.. The hardened shell or tube, and the non-galling polymer follower.... Original excellent magazine will work well when like new, problem is, they won't stay that way.... Any and all original pre 1945 P.08 magazines should be used for collecting and display only!!!!!! There is value in condition, hence the repair.. but then, when off to the range, grab a handful of MEC-GARS... ... There's tons of stuff (just about everything!...) I know nothing about! Luger mags is not one of them!........best to all, til...lat'r....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,320 Posts

If you're diligent enough to catch one of the sellers right after they receive a shipment, you'll be able to buy them for under $30. I've heard they come about twice a year, and they are snapped up very quickly. They are the later square-shaped spring, and I think they will work better over the long run than the originals with round springs. G.T. will do a beautiful job, so it may be worth rehabilitating them later, just for display with the gun. Financially, you'd be better off with new mags for shootin', and getting one or two in better shape to begin with for display. If a viable original is worth something a little North of $100, you'd strive to keep your investment of some donors plus their rehab under that amount. If you want to shoot right away, contact Lugerdoc here on the forum (Tom Heller, Heller Arms) to see if he has any left.
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
They are the later square-shaped spring...
Whose mags are those, Dave? I got one Mec-Gar from Greg Cote before Xmas, and another yesterday. Both blue, both round spring, both under $28...Plus P&H...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Not MecGar...I was mistaken, they are round spring. I think what messed my memory up was my experience with one of the mags for my stainless Luger, which had a square spring, and I got a replacement for it from G.T.
Unread 01-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
hfp75
New User

Default Update...

I got both mags as seen in the pics for $80

I will order 2x new springs (if needed) and 2x floor plates to match the era of the mags....

Then they should work... Let's hope the followers slide nicely...

Thx for the help for the floor plates I'll follow your recommendations.
The following member says Thank You to hfp75 for your post:
Unread 01-06-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Not MecGar...I was mistaken, they are round spring. I think what messed my memory up was my experience with one of the mags for my stainless Luger, which had a square spring, and I got a replacement for it from G.T.
Wolff sells the square magazine springs for the Luger; I got two of them some time back but haven't installed them because the Mec-Gar follower and base are both cut for the round spring. I don't know what Gerry does when he installs them; maybe re-cut the follower & base???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,582 Times in 989 Posts
Default square vs. round

Hi David! I think I replaced the magazine spring in yours with an original fxo type box (square spring?) The round springs will only fit mags with reliefs for the follower stops... Most all of the aftermarket box spring mags I have seen, have serious issues??.. As I remember with David's mags... we were making "silk purses" out of "Sows ears" and we turned out pretty good... just lost a little capacity... 7 instead of eight??...... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi David! I think I replaced the magazine spring in yours with an original fxo type box (square spring?) The round springs will only fit mags with reliefs for the follower stops... Most all of the aftermarket box spring mags I have seen, have serious issues??.. As I remember with David's mags... we were making "silk purses" out of "Sows ears" and we turned out pretty good... just lost a little capacity... 7 instead of eight??...... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
My SS mag was disabled due to "user error". When the gun and its four mags arrived, I noticed that one of the mags was missing its retaining pin for the bottom, and I set it aside until I got around to putting in a new pin. 3/32" stainless rod segment used, to replace the old. Well...I inadvertently loaded and used that mag before rapairing, and after about three shots, the spring and plastic bottom were launched somewhere in the lawn. I was amused to find the brown plastic bottom yet was unable to come up with the spring--which should have shown up on the sweeper magnet.
Unread 01-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

That is, unless the spring was also of stainless steel.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote