LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
1917garkunkel
User

Default Broken Extractor... Rebuild or Replace, any recommendations please?

Hello,

Well I got out to the range and fired the 1917--the first time fired in 20+ years.

I was pleased with the accuracy. I tried Blazer and Sellier & Bellot 115 gr rounds. I found the Blazer to work a little better, stove piping about 1 out of 6 shots.

When i took the gun apart after shooting I noticed this nastiness on the business end of the extractor (see pics)

I'm surprised it ejected at all!

So I'm wondering if any of you have ever had a piece like this to be built up with micro welding, then machined it back down to proper shape. I think this is my preferred route.
Aside from that, i could simply replace it. What do you all think? I'd appreciate any ideas on rough cost for these options, if you know.

thank you everybody!
-Ross
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	part 5.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	44091  

Name:	part 6.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	44092  

Name:	part 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	44093  

1917garkunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Ross, I take it this is numbered to your pistol?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
1917garkunkel
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Ross, I take it this is numbered to your pistol?
Yeah... This Artillery is a big 'almost' in regards to #s and collectibility, but for sentimental reasons, rebuilding would be my first choice... I'd do the machining, (i think!) but that welding is black magic to me--if its even possible.

the extractor is matching to the pistol. only the rear toggle link is unoriginal, and the barrel has been modified such that its originality or lack there of is unknown
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Ross, If you are capable of doing the machining I bet the part can be adequately welded. There is someone on here who knows..Gale Morgan or Ted Green would know for sure. You might also try Charles Danner. All these bluers use welder's they know about.

I just sent this thread to a machinist I use..He will have some suggestions for sure.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
alvin
User

>> I'm surprised it ejected at all!

Recoil energy is transferred to the bolt without extractor, the empty case also got its share of recoil energy, but the weight empty case is too small, its share of recoil energy is consumed quickly by attrition. The function of extractor is to bind light-weight case with heavy bolt, so the empty case can be reliably extracted and then ejected. Without this extractor binding,,, at least on Astra 900 (a type of Spanish Broomhandle), 6 or 7 cases can be ejected, 3-4 rounds fail. Pistol becomes unreliable, but still works 60-70% of time.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
1917garkunkel
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
>> I'm surprised it ejected at all!

Recoil energy is transferred to the bolt without extractor, the empty case also got its share of recoil energy, but the weight empty case is too small, its share of recoil energy is consumed quickly by attrition. The function of extractor is to bind light-weight case with heavy bolt, so the empty case can be reliably extracted and then ejected. Without this extractor binding,,, at least on Astra 900 (a type of Spanish Broomhandle), 6 or 7 cases can be ejected, 3-4 rounds fail. Pistol becomes unreliable, but still works 60-70% of time.
Hmm... cool. Utterly sensible that the empty case is on it's way rearward with or with out the hook on the extractor's assistance. Thank you for this observation
Unread 11-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
1917garkunkel
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Ross, If you are capable of doing the machining I bet the part can be adequately welded. There is someone on here who knows..Gale Morgan or Ted Green would know for sure. You might also try Charles Danner. All these bluers use welder's they know about.

I just sent this thread to a machinist I use..He will have some suggestions for sure.

Thanks Jerry, i appreciate the list of names/thoughts on this.
Unread 11-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Look into laser welding. With that technique it is possible to weld on the square mm...
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If you are able to get your numbered extractor welded, and I hope that you can, I would suggest that you not use it for range work again. An aftermarket extractor is relatively inexpensive, and usually requires only minimal fitting to be 100% functional. Then if you were to break the aftermarket unit....no harm, no foul!!

I have broken 2-3 of these old extractors over the years(I shoot my Lugers a lot) and just install new aftermarket ones for function. The new steel holds up very well at the range.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
alvin
User

Is it a numbered part? If yes, laser welding is an option. For laser welding service, I recommend Microarc Welding in Worcester MA:

http://microarcwelding.com/

They offer excellent service, including post-welding micro-machining. Cost some $$, but it's definitely a new experience. There are a few gun makers in the area, they use laser welding service for prototype modification, much faster and cheaper than changing the "jigs".
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #11
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

If you post the number the old extractor has, one of the parts gurus may be able to replace it with a similarly numbered DWM part for less than what micro welding might cost you.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
1917garkunkel
User

I've inquired with Microarc, am awaiting a reply. I'll post here when they respond with pricing, feasibility.

In the meantime, that's a good idea to post up a WTB for the numbered part.

I'll look for the area on the forum where that is done, and if anybody here has a #37 extractor lying about... holler!
-R
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #13
1917garkunkel
User

Lil update:

Microarc can and will do the work. $100--reasonable. (weld up + shape)

In the meantime i purchased one of the reproduction pieces on ebay, $35. the thing is pretty freakin ugly, makes the original look like a gem, and i would definitely pay the extra $15 for the genuine article if i could do it over. It is fitted to the gun now. I plan on going back to the range this weekend to see if it does what it's supposed to.

I've looked into repro shoulder boards and have decided to get one.
From my understanding of the rules discussed (in the below link) i will be illegal until i re-install an artillery rear toggle link. then of course i'll have no rear sight, as my original arty rear sight was excised at some point... all it takes is loads of money i suppose.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...shoulder+board
Unread 12-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Ross,
If your 1917 still has the original 8" barrel even though the rear sight is gone, it is still an original LP08 and attaching a repro stock should not be considered illegal IMHO.
Ron
P.S. It would be neat to acquire an original or repro LP08 rear sight. You could then machine off the rear sight on your current toggle and be good to go!
Unread 12-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
It would be neat to acquire an original or repro LP08 rear sight. You could then machine off the rear sight on your current toggle and be good to go!
He would need a base for the LP-08 rear sight. (Other thread; his has been machined/ground off). There are some floating around to allow the LP-08 rear sight to be mounted on Mauser rifle barrels, like the one below. I think they are from long-barrel Luger attempts (carbines, whatever). Mine came with the LP-08 sight mounted, and the 'sleeve' exactly fits 7.65 Mauser rifle barrels.

...But much too big for Luger artillery barrels...
Attached Images

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Thanks Rich. Didn't know about the removed base. Too bad.
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
1917garkunkel
User

Thanks for the consideration on this guys.
The thought never crossed my mind to simply make an arty rear toggle out of what i've got--good thinking.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting a reconditioned artillery barrel, with sights intact, and the proper rear toggle link fitted to gun (Lugerman has this as a package on his web page to convert non artilleries to arty. I of course would simply be making an artillery into a complete, in stock form.)

I like the sleeve idea too... more than one way around the barn here as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sadness.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	44250  

Unread 12-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
1917garkunkel
User

More fun info.

Got back to the range this morning to prove the new extractor.
Made 5 shots, ejected cases perfectly... then, broke my breech block--Yaaaay!

A little half-moon shaped section of the back wall (at 12 oclock pos.) that holds in the firing pin spring retainer decided it wanted to be elsewhere... and did indeed go gleefully to that place.

Long drive, short day.

I'm beginning to think I should do what my dad did: Put gun in box in basement, never look at gun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bull****.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	44272  

Unread 12-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Sorry too hear about your bad luck......sometimes one just can't win, no matter what. Well, if you are going to have your extractor micro welded, then just include the breachblock and have it repaired also. If you want to continue to shoot your Luger, then do as many of us do and purchase a repo breachblock and fit it to your receiver. They take a bit more fitting then an extractor, but not too bad. I feel sure that Tom(Lugerdoc) has some, and I believe that Numrich and Sarco may well also. Just a thought.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
1917garkunkel
User

Awrite!!

back to the range -AGAIN- and this time.... all good stuff!
i ended up getting a used breech block, and after some minor filing, it fit just fine.
Went out this past sunday morning and put 200 rounds of federal 115gr through it: 0 extraction problems and 3 FTFs --no problem as far as i'm concerned!

Naturally i won't include all the other targets with the crappy shots i made, but here is a sheet from the end of the day, after i'd really become acclimated with the trigger.
These are all 1 hand, 45' with rests between shots. the dots are 3.5" dia. there's a couple damn good 5-shot groups on there! i'm very happy with the artillery, and i have fully released concerns about maintaining collectibility--screw it, now i can just shoot.

i think the pic is coming out sideways... i shot it right side up so impacts were landing a little left and low. i've since adjusted the front sight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	targ.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	44608  

The following 3 members says Thank You to 1917garkunkel for your post: