LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
383 magnum
User

Default Pulled the trigger on LP08

It is an original and matching 1917-dated DWM. I fired it today and it shot to the left, despite that the front sight is moved all the way over to the left. It appears that both the front and rear sights are adjustable. What kind of tool is needed for this and is it possible for move the front sight further left? It is presently on the far left mark. The rear sight does not appear to be adjustable for windage. Don't know why it's shooting to the left. It could be partially my fault for not being used to it and/or the excitement of shooting a new gun. I've always found Luger trigger pulls to be "spongy," and every one I have fired has taken some practice to get used to it.
Sorry, I can't post photos at home.
383 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi,

Basic distance at which the sights are set is 50 meters. This is the case for both the LP08 and P08. The LP08 of course has the possibility to be set to a maximum of 1000 meters. The rear has a windage compensation, when it slides out, it will also slide sideways.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Big Norm
RIP

Magnum,
The 1917 arty was a transition year for the front and rear sight adjustment using a weird screw head. These screw heads were phased out during that year and the 1918 arty did not have those screws in either the front or the rear. The rear sight screw just adjusted for elevation. In all artilleries, the rear sight was designed to automatically adjust for windage as you moved the tang sight forward or backward for distance shooting.

All pre-1917 and early 1917 front sights had the screw with the weird screw head to adjust for windage. There are tools that, theoretically, will adjust those screws. Sometimes they work just find. But sometimes these tools are just too delicate and the pins on the tool will break off. That an expensive lesson to learn. The original tool had pin heads made of brass, which is a very soft metal and I am sure that they did not pass the test of time. Simpson used to have some that were made of stainless steel. But he no longer carries them. With some of those screws, the tool pins probably broke off too.

Most guys have just designed these tools for themselves using an old screw driver and a file to form the pins. If that breaks, just get another screw driver and design another. Start off with a good screw driver with hard metal. Cheap screw drivers may not hold up.

Some guys, in the past, have recommended different liquid solutions to break the screws loose such as Break Free, WD-40 and so forth. Some have suggested heating the front sight to break it loose. They may work, but never, ever use a $60 or so tool to try to break a well set in screw. That $60 tool will vanish faster than the taxes you pay.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
383 magnum
User

Thanks for the info Norm, but it doesn't sound too encouraging. I may just leave it alone rather than risk buggering up the screws. Does the front sight screw have to be loosend to move the sight, or can I just whack it with a brass punch?
If I get a chance, I'm going to take the Arty out tomorrow and put up a bigger target to see exactly where it is hitting.
Unread 06-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

If your front sight has the adjustment screw, it can ONLY be moved with the screw...it is not adjustable with a punch...please don't whack it!
Unread 06-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
383 magnum
User

I shot the arty again today this time with 124 grain bullets. It's not shooting as far to the left as I initially thought so I won't have to try to adjust the sights after all. I just needed a little more practice shooting it and a bigger target to see where it was hitting. The rear sight leaf is sliding up a little after firing. Is there a way to tighten it? I think it may be because the spring on the sliding bar has lost some tension.
I have a repro stock but haven't tried that yet. Don't know how much I will continue shooting it anyway since it is all original. Even the grips are numbered. I may have to start looking for a reblued/mismatched arty for a shooter if I can find one cheap (LOL). I appreciate all of the tips you all have given me.