LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 05-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
kutayhan
User

Default where to buy new walnut grips?

Hi, I am kutay from Turkey. I am about to purchase a luger which I was dreaming and looking for since 2000. Licenced ones are extremely hard to find and expensive in my country. The one I am going to buy (for $ 2200) is by your standarts a shooter. Reblued, no matching numbers, no original mag and no original grips. Anyway the owner claims it is mechanically O.K. and can fire a mag continously.
Now it looks horrible with changing bluing color so I am going to get it repainted matt black.
My biggest problem is in my dreams my luger had very light brown (yellow like) fine checkered walnut grips and eventhough I made a lot of research on where to find these original like grips, I could not find a satisfiying seller.
I would really appreciate if someone suggested where to buy a pair of original like fine checkered light brown walnut grips.

Kindest regards to the owners of one of the most beautiful engineering piece of history.
kutayhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Ice
User

Kutay, congratulations on your new Luger. Maybe I can help you with your dream of new grips.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned buying a 1937 Luger shooter. It came with horrible fitting plastic Stag grips. I ordered a pair of Laser cut walnut grips from Gun Parts Corp; I believe they are made in Italy.

These grips are light brown in color with finely cut checkering. They fit both my 1937 and an old 1914 Luger perfectly. They are nice and slim and fit my hand just like original grips. The inletting is done perfectly. I can vouch that this is the finest pair of reproduction Luger grips that I have ever had.

Check out this link: http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

I think that you will find that they are just what you want. I was going to post a review in the gunsmithing section at a later time but will do so here after I can get photos.

Good luck and welcome!

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
kutayhan
User

Thank you very much for your quick reply and help Charlie. That site was on my bookmark list but I was not sure because of the low res picture. Now I am sure to order and hopefully receive them soon.
By the way say hi to Texas, I lived there three years and I miss San Antonio a lot lately.

Kindest regards,
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

I also have a set of the Gun Parts Corp (formerly Numrich) laser-cut grips on order, after trying a set from Sarco that were made in India. The Sarco grips were twice as thick as OEM Luger grips, but were very nice in color and the checkering was very good. One bad point was that the left grip did not completely fill the "point cavity" at the top front. Sarco also does business on eBay under the username "ocras2007" or other numbers/dates. (Sarco spelled backwards). I've seen these same grips there.

Hopefully, if I can get another set for shooting, I can send my OEM commercial set to Hugh for recheckering.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
Ice
User

Here are photos of the GPC and Sarco grips. The lighter colored ones on the Luger on the stand are GPC. The are finely checkered and fit the 1937 perfectly without any adjustment. The grips on the other Luger are from Sarco and have much coarser checkering. I sanded those grips down so they weren't so thick, recut the checkering and then stained them. The Sarco grips required a lot of hand fitting also. Even at $14.95 for the Sarco grips and $34.95 for the GPC grips, I think GPC is the better deal because they are the closest I have ever seen to original Luger grips in appearance and feel.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gr 001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	6164  

Name:	gr 002.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	6165  

Name:	gr 003.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	6166  

Unread 05-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

On my last GPC order, I did order a set of their girips @$27.55, which turned out to be the same "made in India" grips that Sarco is selling for less, so they were returned. If the "laser cut" ones are still available (not shown in latest #31 catalog) please advise. Thanks, TH
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
Ice
User

Tom, the Laser cut grips are definitely available. I received mine last Saturday. You can order from the link above.

Charlie
Unread 05-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

My laser cut grips from GPC came in today's mail...they look good, fit OK (although the mag button drags), but the top front point of the left grip is still not filling that cavity under the sideplate...

...But with a little work on that mag button channel, they should be OK for a shooter...

...Or a commercial for sale...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sarco_grip.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	6175  

Name:	gpc_grip.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	6176  

Unread 05-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Ice
User

The only place I know of that makes better grips is Nill Grips. At $98.80 they are very expensive for anything but the best Luger. Betcha a nickel that they have some little cavity under the sideplate though.

http://www.nill-griffe.de/cms_usa/in...d_navigation=4

Charlie
Unread 05-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
...Betcha a nickel that they have some little cavity under the sideplate though.
Ice, WTF is with that??? I have an S/42 w/OEM grips and another commercial with aftermarket grips that both have wood in that sideplate cavity point area...

Why do these other grips have the point trimmed back??? was there an earlier (or later) Luger without that cavity??? Are they trying for a "universal grip"???
Unread 05-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
Ice
User

My friend, I don't know. My Lugers with original grips and even numbered to the gun are kinda sloppy fitting around the mag release and are curved at the sideplate. They are wartime though. Even my 1920 Commercial is lacking at the sideplate. You may be right about universal fit. Wish they would give a view of the left sideplate side but they don't. sorry I can't give you a better answer.

Maybe one of our long time collectors can give an answer. Maybe it has something with with average Schutz popping that area off when removing the grip so they relieved it.?????

Charlie
Unread 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
... Maybe it has something with with average Schutz popping that area off when removing the grip so they relieved it.???
I thought the "million dollar chip" area was at the back under the thumb safety...

I haven't busted any of mine yet...but I'm extra careful with the Russian Bakelite grips...
Unread 05-05-2009, 03:57 AM   #13
kutayhan
User

I ordered from gpc but due to the regulations they cancelled my order.

Are nill grips good and slim like gpc grips. do they worth $ 100? does anyone have nill grips?

By the way I asked nill grips if they are shipping to Turkey but havent received the answer yet..
Unread 05-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #14
Ice
User

Nill Grips are supposed to be of the finest quality. I don't know of anyone who has them on their Luger but know several people who have Nills on their Smith & Wessons. The color and figure in the wood is magnificent as is the workmanship. Nill is based in Germany so maybe they will ship to Turkey. I hope that you find a pair of grips that you like soon.

Charlie
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
Steinar
User

They are really nice and worth the money I think. I have one checkered pair now, but thinking of purchasing the smooth pair also.
http://www.nill-griffe.de/cms_int/in...d_navigation=4
http://www.nill-griffe.de/cms_int/in...d_navigation=4
Unread 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The wood at the sideplate area is supposed to fill that space. I think most of the repro manufacturers take a shortcut when doing final sanding in that area and round off the tip of the grip thinking it doesn't matter...

The Nill-Griffe grips I believe to be an exception and hold to the original shape which includes the point under the sideplate.

BTW, the NILL-Griffe Links posted previously don't work for me The image below shows the grips with the point in that location. I have never heard anyone who was upset with Nill Griffe quality.

I am also pretty confident that they will ship to Turkey.
Attached Images

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 02:42 AM   #17
Sieger
User

Default Nil Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutayhan View Post
I ordered from gpc but due to the regulations they cancelled my order.

Are nill grips good and slim like gpc grips. do they worth $ 100? does anyone have nill grips?

By the way I asked nill grips if they are shipping to Turkey but havent received the answer yet..
K:

The Nil grips are a perfect fit. The checkering, however, is not like the original and is too coarse.

Typically, for perfection, you would buy a "smooth" set and have them properly checkered, using the original pattern, by one of the experts, here on the forum.

I have six sets of the Nil Grips, and am confident in their quality fit!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
kutayhan
User

While waiting for nill's answer I found Simpson Ltd from IL specializing in lugers and they make copies of the original grips for $ 100.
They say that they can ship to Turkey with no problem.
Only question is are the grips good?
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
Sieger
User

Default Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutayhan View Post
While waiting for nill's answer I found Simpson Ltd from IL specializing in lugers and they make copies of the original grips for $ 100.
They say that they can ship to Turkey with no problem.
Only question is are the grips good?

H:

I've seen these for sale, but have never examined a pair for fit and finish.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac
Default Why holes drilled on the inside of the grips?

Quote:
Kutay, congratulations on your new Luger. Maybe I can help you with your dream of new grips.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned buying a 1937 Luger shooter. It came with horrible fitting plastic Stag grips. I ordered a pair of Laser cut walnut grips from Gun Parts Corp; I believe they are made in Italy.

These grips are light brown in color with finely cut checkering. They fit both my 1937 and an old 1914 Luger perfectly. They are nice and slim and fit my hand just like original grips. The inletting is done perfectly. I can vouch that this is the finest pair of reproduction Luger grips that I have ever had.

Check out this link: http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

I think that you will find that they are just what you want. I was going to post a review in the gunsmithing section at a later time but will do so here after I can get photos.

Good luck and welcome!

Charlie
The GPC grips are looking great, the checkering is very nice and they are thin.
But why did GPC drill 2 additional holes on the inside of each grip? And I think, the cutout for the safty lever is too wide and large.