LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
Herb
User

Post Interesting magazine base

I came across this on Ebay. It's listed as a reproduction and it is a numbered bakelite bottom. The thing I find interesting is the suffix and the Mauser E/63 stamping. If the tools exist to do this on a phony mag base then perhaps a lot of different kinds of dies exist and are being used for other purposes. It's a nasty world out there.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...248932167&rd=1
Unread 06-06-2004, 12:26 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Herb,
A mold was made from an original mag base with the E/63 and serial number on it. No dies were required to mark the base. When the repro was cast in the mold with phenolic resin, it picked up the markings from the original.
Unread 06-06-2004, 07:56 AM   #3
wterrell
User

I am puzzled as to how phenolic is cast into such a small mold. The layers/sheets of fiber that constitute phenolic would be extremely difficult to place as the mass of phenolic was built up (much as fiber glass).
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
Waschbaer
User

wes, your links don't seem to work from your mapped luger. just thought I might alert you to that fact. or maybe its just my crummy computer?
TOm
Waschbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
wterrell
User

No, it's the links on my site. I am in the process of creating it. I haven't done anything on that site for some time.
I have no time at present for my interests, but I do lurk this forum daily.
Thank you for the kindness of the link alert and be assured that it is not a computer problem on your end.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 06:18 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Regarding the magazine base, my guess is that it is a small enough part that the strengthening which comes from addition of a substrate is not necessary, and so it is cast from pure resin.

And Wes, glad to know that you are still around.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
Herb
User

It never crossed my mind that it might have been poured in a mold made from a real bottom, but that makes sense. I figured it was marked using a hot die, but poured is more logical, there must be a lot of them out there somewhere as that is too much work just for one.
Unread 06-07-2004, 10:58 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
herb, I don't think there has to be a "lot" of them out there... I think some enterprising hobbyist created either a reusable mold, or perhaps a method for reproducing throw away molds in small quantities and is making this ONE mag bottom over and over again.

The maker offers them one at a time on ebay... I have seen him/her sell one at a time a week or tem days, for the last several weeks. Sometimes there are no bidders, since the starting price is a penny shy of $15 and when you add shipping you are in the $20 range for a cast piece of plastic that couldn't be mistaken for an original since this form of plastic bottom, (a) was never produced by the factory, and (b) couldn't have been actually stamped because it would have broken.

I think these are expensive for a replacement mag bottom, when for just a few dollars more, you could have the expertly done replacement mag bottoms in appropriate wood or aluminum by either GT or Viggo.

Just my $0.02

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote