LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #21
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Never been there, but my former 1967 Ford Mustang came from a Scottsdale, AZ dentist.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vlim; 12-18-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 12-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #22
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Hi Gerben!

May, June, July, August, brutal heat!!! .... rest of the year, pleasant, balmy weather... Once in a great while it will freeze in the winter, but even then, most of the time 60 to 70 degrees during the day... Good for old bones!!! .... Best, til....lat'r....GT

BTW, lot'sa Arizona cars are bought and sold all over the country & world, as the weather is kind for storage and preservation, airplanes as well...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 12-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #23
calibrator
User

Well, there's a flip side to your statement G.T. .

True, the sheet metal and frames are usually rust-free. As having been a Engine Machinist since '84 starting in Cleveland, and then continuing from '93 here in PHX, I will state this. Many classic engines (or any for that matter) here in AZ are suffering from severe internal corrosion problems more so than engines back East.

Back in the Snow Belt, you need to use antifreeze (that usually contains a corrosion inhibitor), here in AZ folks just stick the garden hose in the radiator and fill'er up. There are a LOT of corrosive minerals in the H2O her for some reason. They attack aluminum (and iron/steel to a lesser degree) and it spreads like cancer. The most common failures I've seen are head gasket failures where a coolant passage ate through the fire-ring of the gasket and pumped coolant into the cylinder.

Fixing this damage is possible, but what about the internal passages you can't aggressively grind out and re-weld ??? We had an Old Boy that Loved Flathead Ford engines for his Hot Rods. I can't re-state how many cores he would haul in, and we would reject because the iron blocks were severely corroded into the exhaust passages. He ended up finding a warehouse in France that had NOS blocks for generators that were WWII era.

Used cars here in AZ CAN be a ticking bomb since some folks can be cheap skates on maintenance issues.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 12-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #24
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Yes, the Mustang's sheet metal was great and rust free. But the rubbers were toast.
Interior was ok, and it already had a replacement Mexican 302
Stick shift, 3-speed. Interesting combination to drive, along with drum brakes and no brake booster.

I no longer own it, but it is still registered with a enthusiast over here. There's quite a large USA classic car scene here.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #25
calibrator
User

Yeah Vlim, the Good Old Days !

Am aware of the US classic car scene overseas. Since '08, I've been all about classic 300SLs for my employers. Do they refer to vintage US iron as "Exotics" over there ??? See any Hells Angels in your area ???
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #26
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default I agree!

When I managed the Mobil service shop, I do remember a large number of corroded aluminum blocks, with exactly the same problem you describe... I never gave it a second thought as it was money coming in, but now I see the how and why and understand the effects of coolant quality neglect... Best to you Joe, and Gerben, til.....lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post: