LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 08-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
Bucknut
User

Default My Great-Grandfather's 30 Luger

The photos below are from my great-grandfather’s 30 Luger which just inherited. I have always had a fascination with Lugers since I was a boy and never thought I'd own one. I've done some research and I was hoping to get some more information from some of you.

It has all of the markings of a Commercial Luger with Germany stamped below the barrel and the bottom of the magazine, upright Crown N proof and lack of too many other distinguishing markings. It's in relatively great shape. If I had to guess I'd say that the bluing is in the 95% range and the straw is around 90%. It has only been shot a couple of times since the mid 1960s. The only noticeable damage to is the broken base on the magazine (photo 2) the chip missing from the one grip (picture 4). I've had the gun given a cursory examination by a local gunsmith who told me that it was safe to shoot. Would you shoot it? Also can anyone tell me it's approximate value for insurance purposes? Is there any significance to the fact that it has two different script Ns stamped on it? In general can anyone tell me more about the history of the Luger? I'm a new member to this forum and would love any help I could get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luger 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	7736  

Name:	Luger 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	7737  

Name:	Luger 3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	7738  

Name:	Luger 4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	7739  

Name:	Luger 5.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	7740  

Name:	Luger 6.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	7741  

Name:	Luger 7.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	7742  

Name:	Luger 8.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	7743  

Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

welcome, 1920 model stamped for export....nice gun
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Ice
User

Welcome to the forum. Thats a beautiful .30 commercial. You can find some Luger history here:

http://www.lugerforum.com/history.html

Your Luger, if completely matching, is worth around $1500 +/- ; more experienced members can give a better value estimate.

Almost all Luger parts are numbered though on a Commercial they are in non-exposed places. If you break a numbered part that will reduce its value considerably. I wouldn't shoot it without replacing the extractor, firing pin and original ejector with non-numbered spares. Spares are available from forum member LugerDoc and from Gun Parts corp.

Your Luger is a piece of history; even more so belonging to your Grandfather. Congratulations on owning a fine piece.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Bucknut
User

Default Thanks

Thanks policeluger and Ice for your replies.

Ice, all of the parts do match. That was one of the things I forgot to mention in my original post. I will check the link you gave me to luger forum history section. My research had come up with the approximately the same value you quoted me, but a lot of the posts I've seen here consider these DWM "Alphabet Commercials" around $800-$900 depending on condition. Simpson Ltd has a lot of them listed in the $1500 range, but then again some of the posts claimed they were high in their asking prices.

Thanks again to both of you and I have enjoyed my bumping around on the forum already.
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

The value certainly depends on if you are buying or if you are selling. In this market, if you had to sell it within a week, you'd be lucky to get $1000, but if you sit back and wait for the right guy you will probably get more.
But insured value is something entirely different. Depending on premium payments, I'd insure it at $1500-$2000; the top market value.
Also, other members could state definitively whether the grips and mag is numbered on that gun. If not, you could replace the worn/damaged pieces if you were of a mind to, keeping the originals.
Welcome and enjoy!
DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 08-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
cmg4723
New User

Jim, welcome to the forum. As a collector of "Commercials" I want to thank you for sharing as these are wonderful pieces. One of my Alphabet Commercials is in the same block as yours with a serial number of 1953 n. Again thanks for sharing.
Unread 08-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
MFC
User

Jim,
Acording to Still's Weimar Lugers, your DWM Alphabet commercial, #9633n was made in 1925.
Chuck's #1953n, was made in 1924. I've noticed the different font styles, only of the 'n' suffix, on the barrel and frame on all of the Alphabet commercials that I have seen.
Unread 08-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Douglas Jr.
User

Very nice Luger. Your Grandpa preserved it well.
Congratulations!

Douglas
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote