LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-15-2001, 04:35 PM   #1
DAVE HOPKINS

Default SHOULDER STOCK

UPS JUST DELIVERED A SHOULDER STOCK I PURCHASED OFF OF AUCTION ARMS. IT APPEARS TO BE AN ORIGINAL AS REPRESENTED BY THE SELLER. HOWEVER, IT DOES NOT WANT TO LOCK UP ON TO THE LUG PROPERLY. I AM ATTACHING IT TO A 1918 DWM 4" MILITARY, BUT IT DOES NOT APPEAR THAT IT WANTS TO SLIDE DOWN THE LUG FAR ENOUGH TO ENGAGE THE LOCKING BAR ON THE STOCK. THE STOCK IS NUMBERED 2205 ON THE TANG OF THE IRON AND THERE IS A SMALL "C" DIRECTLY BENEATH THE 0. THE WOOD AND METAL ARE NICELY PATINATED. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG, OR IS IT THAT NOT ALL STOCKS FIT EVERY PISTOL LUG?

Unread 11-15-2001, 04:42 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: SHOULDER STOCK

David, I am not sure, but I think they would fit any of them, but I must tell you , it is illegal (I know, a dumb law, but a law never the less) to attach an Artillery Luger stock to any Luger OTHER THAN an Artillery Luger. BATF laws. John Sabato has stated this many times! This information is given for your protection. An Artillery Luger and accompany Artillery stock is okay! Even a Navy Stock and an Artillery Luger is VERBOTEN! ~Thor~

Unread 11-15-2001, 04:49 PM   #3
DAVE HOPKINS

THANKS FOR THE SCOLDING THOR. THE ARTILLERY FOR WHICH I HAD PURCHASED THE STOCK IS WITH A FRIEND WHO IS REPLACING AN EXTRACTOR FOR ME. I LOCKED THE DOORS AND TURNED DOWN ALL THE LIGHTS.

Unread 11-15-2001, 05:06 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Dave, Photos of the stock attachment iron would be helpful

in diagnosing your problem. And I don't recommend experimentation with the 4" Luger... Wait until you get your artillery Luger back to be safe and legal.

While you are waiting for the return of your Artillery Model, I would recommend you spend some time reading the ATF website about what combinations of stocks and Lugers are legal to keep yourself out of trouble...

You can also do searches here on the forum for discussions on this topic...

Also, please type in lower case as all uppers usually indicates shouting and is also very hard to read...

Thanks,

John Sabato

Unread 11-15-2001, 06:08 PM   #5
Thor
User

No Scolding intended, just spreading the word to keep you out of trouble buddy! I know this stuff stinks, but like to keep the good guys safe yanno! Please dont take it the wrong way, best intentions I assure you! Thor

Unread 11-15-2001, 06:59 PM   #6
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Dave, Photos of the stock attachment iron would be helpful

Many parts of the Luger required minor hand fitting for an exact fit, and as the 4" was never intended to have a stock attached the fit may be off by a few thousandths. I have one artillery that the shoulder stock that goes with another artillery does not fit exactly. The lock doesn't want to go all the way into position.

Unread 11-15-2001, 08:33 PM   #7
Kyrie
User

Hi Dave,

Shoulder stocks were fitted to individual pistols to assure a close fit. For the most part there wasnâ??t much fitting as both stock lugs and attaching irons were pretty much the same, but itâ??s not unusual to find stock/Luger combinations that either donâ??t fit together, or fit with considerable slop.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 11-16-2001, 12:15 AM   #8
DAVE HOPKINS

Default Re: Dave, Photos of the stock attachment iron would be helpful

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry if my reply to Thor sounded as if I were angry, just my feeble attempt at humor. Also, thanks for the tip from John re. communication etiquite, I'm a little new at this.

Unread 11-16-2001, 04:31 AM   #9
JuergenG
User

I learn from Thor's post that it is illegal in the U.S. to mount an artillery shoulder stock to any other Luger than an artillery.

Strange, as the U.S. are mostly way more liberal on firearms regulations than Germany.

Although we face very strict regulations on firearms in Germany shoulder stocks are not an issue over here.

The BdMP (Association of Military and Police Shooters) does even have a special competition for Ordnance Pistols developed up to 1945 having a lug for a shoulder stock.

We shoot 3 series of 5 rds. each in 60/90/120 seconds, 25 meters distance.

Artillery type stocks (mostly remakes used) can be mounted onto any Luger variant.

Lugers dominate this competition, other pistols used are a few Mauser C96 broom handle and, very little, Browning High Power.

Juergen

Unread 11-16-2001, 07:07 AM   #10
Marvin
User

Default Re:stock attachment iron

Dave,

I have a stock with my Artillery and it fits that particular pistol only. I have tried it on some of my other WWI pistols and it is the same as yours; just does not fit in the final lockup. The stock will hardly start on the Mauser lugs. When reading "The Kreighoff Parabellum", Gibson notes that the stock lug on the Mauser Army pistols was for locating and positioning the frame for machining and was not really intended to attach a stock.

As Johnny stated, I feel they were hand fitted also and only a few thousandths will make a difference if they fit or not.

Marvin

Unread 11-16-2001, 08:20 AM   #11
JuergenG
User

Default Re: SHOULDER STOCK PRICES

What are prices for originals and remakes in the U.S. ?

Can't tell for originals; remakes here sell for approx. $ 70.

Juergen

Unread 11-16-2001, 08:57 AM   #12
tom h

Default Re: SHOULDER STOCK PRICES

Juergen, I'd like to purchase some of those $70 repro LPO8 stocks. Who is selling them in Germany? CDS? Since CMR in Britian wants about that much, with S&H, for just the repro stock iron. The best current price that I've seen here in the USA for a complete repro stock is $125 + S&H from Gun Parts Corp.

Unread 11-16-2001, 09:27 AM   #13
JuergenG
User

Default @Tom H Re: SHOULDER STOCK PRICES

Tom,

CDS sells them at DEM 148.-

"Ari-anschlagbrett, neu" .

Here is the link to their P08 parts & accessories list.

http://www.cds-ehrenreich.de/zubehoer/08.htm

They offer parts by serial no's. with a DEM 20 surcharge.

Juergen

Unread 11-16-2001, 12:25 PM   #14
Aaron
Banned

Default Broomhandles are the same

When attaching repo broomhandle stocks, it is very unusual to get one to fit well without opening up the rails on the stock. I use a Dreml tool with a fine grinding drum for this, and just a couple of passes does the job. No two pistols seem to have exactly the same dimensions.

Unread 11-16-2001, 12:36 PM   #15
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Bart, If you line up several lugers and look at the attaching area side by side you will notice that some are shallow and some are deep in the curved locking notch and all are different to some degree. Marvin had it right and not all stocks will fit any particular pistol and lock up without some fitting and that involves grinding something. I have fitted all of my Artilleries and Navies to stocks but you must be very careful. You can easily reduce the collectability and value of your pistol or stock. If you have a shooter then it is much less of an issue but a true collector piece probably should be thought about before attempting such a re-fit. Jerry

Unread 11-17-2001, 07:40 AM   #16
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: "Chose With Care" SHOULDER STOCK

Dave,

When you consider attaching a shoulder stock to a pistol.

#1, Be CERTAIN that the combination is LEGAL, ( MOST ARE NOT , WITHOUT A SPECIAL ( Expensive ) FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE).

#2, IF ALTERATIONS ARE NECESSARY, Modify Only the part that is of lesser historical value.

Or IF both are Valuable DO NOT ALTER EITHER, as they most likely are of greater historical value as separate items.

#3, Unless you are absolutely certain of the legallity and proper quality of what you about to do. "DONT"

(My best opinion only),

If you chose yes, Much luck and have a good time as you now join the circle of "LOL Addicts".

ViggoG

Unread 11-17-2001, 10:36 AM   #17
schwob
RIP

Default Re: "Chose With Care" SHOULDER STOCK

Viggo, are you back with us? If so, welcome, great to see your name on our message board.