LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-29-2001, 11:18 AM   #1
Andy

Default More information of the Luger on my last post

The big R on the bottom of the magazine turned out to be stamped there by my uncle Rick when he was a kid. My dad just told me that this Luger was taken off of a dead German officer that was in one of the beachhead pill boxes in World War II. My Grandpa traded a .22 automatic for this gun in the early 1950's. The guy he recieved it from was the soldier who took it off of the German officer. My dad said that when he first saw it the sides of the Luger had a very high polish to them. I'm now thinking that this Luger was the Personal firearm of this officer. Just some more info.

Unread 05-29-2001, 11:39 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: More information of the Luger on my last post

Andy,

OK on the "R" on the magzines base, I had no idea what it could be.

Now, with the new information you have provided, the import stamp ("germany" or "made in germany") probably will not be present.

During WWII, certain officers were required to purchse their own sidearm. As the war progressed, there was a requirement that ALL officers MUST carry a sidearm when on duty because of partisan activity. This pistol may very well be one that was purchased in a German Sporting Goods dealer store at some point in time by the officer who it was taken from. The biggest problem is the lack of documented information as to it's provenence. Word of mouth is very difficult to sell without this back-up documentation.

The holster may be the original holster and it may be a military holster picked up by the officer. Let us know any stamps or marking on the holster. Also, what type closure does it have; strap and buckle, or strap and stud?

Marvin

Unread 05-29-2001, 11:56 AM   #3
andy

The holster is of a dark brown leather and is riveted. The closure is of a strap and stud kind. The cockiung handle is round and is checkered. I appreciate your help.

Unread 05-29-2001, 01:01 PM   #4
Marvin
User

Andy,

sounds like a commercial holster that may have been purchased with the pistol and this would be correct.

Marvin