LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
Schoffleine
New User

Default A bit of a newbie question but, caliber?

What were the Lugers in WWII in terms of caliber? I found my dad's Luger the other day while house sitting and was trying to determine whether it was authentic or not (seems to be).

In my search, I found a site that said the caliber is printed on the underside of the barrel, and the one they were displaying was an 8.82. Well this one is an 8.84, evidently. Is that close enough to a 9mm to make no difference? I'm not sure I really want to fire this thing (don't know what would happen to it), but I am a bit curious as to whether it could be fired.

From what I can tell (I'd love to share pictures with y'all but don't have a transfer cable for my camera), it's a 1934 (or 1937, I've seen conflicting dates) Mauser-Werke Luger K-date with the S/42 markings. He has a P-08 holster too but some idiot took a knife to part of it and sawed off a rectangle (probably where an emblem was) on the backside. Still, it's in great shape for the age.

Oh, right, the caliber. Sorry, bit excited about this find.
Schoffleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Your Luger is, indeed, a 9mm. The marking you mention is the distance measured by the arsenal between lands on your individual pistol. Standard white box Winchester ammunition will work fine in your pistol if it is in good, shootable condition..
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Bob, Welcome to the forum! If your Dad's gun is indeed a K date (with the letter K on it's chamber), then it was made by Mauser in 1934. Don't even think of shooting it, it's far too valuable! We would love to see pictures. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,321 Posts

Welcome Bob,

Does your camera have a memory card? If so, try removing it from the cam and slippping it into the appropriate card reader slot on your computer!

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote