LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-19-2004, 12:13 AM   #1
robin1
New User

Post malfunctioning luger

i have just purchased my first luger. it is a 1917 9mm erfurt in very good condition. unfortunatly it malfunctioned the first time i fired it. almost every time i fired it the spent casing remained in the chamber. a few times the spent casing got caught between the bolt and chamber partially extracted. the extractor appears to be ok. could it be a weak extractor spring? if so where can i find parts. i have checked with numrich and northridge. no extractor spring with either of them. i am not having much luck finding any luger parts.
robin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 12:57 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Check the chamber, is it clean and free of rust, is the extractor moving freely up and down, you can make a new sping from stock, not hard to do. Ask Lugerdoc here on LF if he has an original spring. Most times I run into this, the chamber needs a light polishing with crocus cloth...I just wrap it around a small wood dowl and a few even twists and it will clean up...let us know if we can help...
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 04:22 AM   #3
jamese
User

Robin,
I also have extractor springs for sale, send me an
e-mail :
jamesegg@bellsouth.net

Jim
Unread 05-20-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
robin1
New User

the extractor does move freely and appears to be in good condition. i did polish the chamber. also i cleaned and lubricated the entire gun. i then fired two test shots. no luck! both times it malfunctioned. the bolt attempted to strip a new round from the mag but it could not chamber because the spent casing was still in the chamber. as a whole the gun appears to be in great shape with no rust but somethings not right. i will be working at a local gun show this weekend. with any luck mabey i can find a luger expert that is not too expensive. thanks for the suggestions. if i find the problem i will let you guys know what it was for future reference.
Unread 05-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Robin, This sounds like an ejector, rather than extractor, problem to me. To check, just remove the toggle assy and make sure that the tip to the ejector is not broken off and that it moves freely in the receiver, when you push it from the inside. TH
Unread 05-21-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Robin 1 says; almost every time i fired it the spent casing remained in the chamber.

Have you looked to see if some grit is under the extractor leaving it riding high?

Look at the extractor lips to see that they are not chipped or worn down excessively. Also that there is no carbon buildup anywhere , either under the extractor or on the boltface.

When working the toggle manually can you observe the extractor hooking onto the rim of the cartridge? And will it extract an unfired round? When you push up on the extractor with your thumb is the spring quite strong? It should be.

If the pistol will not extract, it cannot begin to eject.

I suspect the extractor lips are damaged or perhaps the headspace is incorrect causing the cartridge to insert further than proper. You must look closely to see if the extractor is actually gripping the rim on a closed bolt. Close visual inspection should tell you a lot. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
Danny R. Bowles
User

Hello Gentlemen, I had the same problem with a ejector on a 20 commercial. It was indeed the ejector as Tom has mentioned. My spring was broke. I measured it and took one out of a old vcr I had in my electronic shop. Put it in and presto, no more problems, buy the way Tom I got that HO working on my byf. A little bending did the trick.Thanks; Danny
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:00 PM   #8
robin1
New User

just to answer a few questions, yes when manually operating the toggle it would extract a new or spent casing. the extractor was quite easy to move with light pulling of one finger. carbon build up or any other grime was never an issue because the previous owner kept the luger in spotless condition. also i cleaned and lubricated after purchase and firing. now after replacing the extractor spring the extractor is much stiffer when trying to pull with a finger and most important the spent casings are now extracted. my luger now functions properly. lucky for me a $1 spring repaired the problem. now its time to perform a torture test that i perform on all of my weapons. fire 500 to 1000 rounds with out cleaning. if it does not malfunction then its worth keeping. thanks for all the input.