LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-18-2004, 11:58 PM   #1
Bill Cullen
User

Post Two serial numbers?

A few days ago I looked at a 1918 Erfurt that upon first inspection appeared to be matching, but closer inspection suggested otherwise. The SN on the left of frame near barrel above lock bolt was 5281, the sideplate was 81, both toggle pieces 81, lock bolt 81, barrel was 5281, and sear bar appeared to be 81. However, the number on the sear bar didn't look right. When I looked at the sear bar with a magnifying glass, it was originally 82 with a 1 stamped over the 2. I then noticed the SN on front of the frame also was 5282 with the second 2 stamped over with a 1, to make it 5281. The size, shape, and style of the second stamps on the sear bar and front of frame were consistent with the other numbers. The SN on left of frame near barrel was not stamped over. As the size, style, and shape of the second stamps was consistent with the others, could this just be a goof by the assembler as the SN on left of frame was not stamped over? If it is likely a goof, was this a common occurrence? Everything else (straw-blue) appeared correct. The only other question is that the toggle pin exposed when toggle is pulled back did not have a number. Should this pin have also been stamped?
Bill Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
The regulation reqiring the stamping of the rear toggle pin was issued in 1932, so this pin is proper.

As far as the serial number is concerned, you can count on the German manufacturers and inspectors to neither make nor allow this kind of mistake. It is the attempt of an artless charlatain who previously owned the gun to attempt to deceive an unwary buyer into paying him a premium for a non-matching Luger.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote