LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #41
Douglas Jr.
User

Folks,

I think - again, as an outsider - that Olle made some valid points. I do not believe that draconian laws against firearms ownership is a solution against crime waves or a shooting spree. The current problems with high crime ratings and violence in my country is a vivid proof against such theory.

However, stick to the 2nd Amendment as godspel will not allow you to hold this pósition forever. I'm afraid that, legaly speaking, an Amendment is... an amendment, it can be revoked or modified if the proper proceeding is taken by the Congress, as had happened before. It is only a matter of politics, popular support and lobby.

It remembers me a legal lesson in the Roman-Germanic law that says that someone's right ends when the other's starts. I mean, your right to own a gun should not prevail over the right of protection to those who chose not to or are not entitled to carry a gun (as was the children's case).

In a less technical note, I find difficult to say to those parents who lost theis sons and daughters that your right is untouchable and sacred. Those children should be alive and not in a wooden box. And politically speaking, is a shoot in your own foot.

I know how dangerous is to deal with left wings politicians - I have my own experience with the same subject here - but to refuse to sit at the negociation table and discuss alternatives it will only bring those who are silent or haven't care about this subject until now (the "silent majority") against the firearms owners and NRA. You should be able to be part of the solution and not part of the problem, as it may turned out to be.

I'm not what you call "a liberal". Believe me when I say that we (gun owners outside USA) see you and your rights to bear guns (and its effects against crime) as a great argument against antiguns all around the world. So any defeat over here can reverberate on other places. But, again, you must to be prepared to a wiser move than simply saying "no, we don't discuss this".

With my respects.

Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Douglas Jr. for your post:
Unread 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #42
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

It was said that words are often deadlier than bullets, one fired from the silos of the mind can never be recalled, excused nor forgoten! The underestimated power of one finger caused one world war an ended another!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 12-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #43
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Jr. View Post
However, stick to the 2nd Amendment as godspel will not allow you to hold this pósition forever. I'm afraid that, legaly speaking, an Amendment is... an amendment, it can be revoked or modified if the proper proceeding is taken by the Congress, as had happened before. It is only a matter of politics, popular support and lobby.
One thing that may hurt gun owners more than anything is if something happens to the 2nd Amendment. It can happen, so I think it's in every gun owners interest to protect it by discussing how it should be applied to a modern society, and also showing some flexibility (which should, of course, be shown by both sides). You can't protect the 2nd Amendment by stubbornly clinging on to it as an eternal truth, because it isn't.

What really hurts this debate is that both parties see their opponents as rabid, hard-headed ideologists, and act accordingly. It's not really a creative environment.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #44
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

Heavy metal classroom doors with a good lock down system would be a first good step. A regular teacher in panic with a lack of gun training is not a resolution for this problem. If there is a need for an armed teacher... then there is something wrong in the society. It's not a school in comanche territory 1850. It must be possible to raise children in a safe, child appropriate environment, without a constant fear.
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #45
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Tell that to the Israelis.......
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #46
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

How do they secure their schools in Israel?

But can we really compare the US with Israel? There's another level of danger, a more constant threat of terrorist attacks. When my kids went to an elementary school in MD, I was never really concerned that something could happen to them like this.
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #47
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suum cuique View Post
Heavy metal classroom doors with a good lock down system would be a first good step. A regular teacher in panic with a lack of gun training is not a resolution for this problem. If there is a need for an armed teacher... then there is something wrong in the society. It's not a school in comanche territory 1850. It must be possible to raise children in a safe, child appropriate environment, without a constant fear.
There is something wrong with society. A lack of moral values and respect, the need for instant gratification, worship of idols, greed, secularization... I grew up in the 60's, and me and my buddies thought we were real gangsters when we made crank calls or stole apples from the neighbor's yard. Now they get high on dope, steal cars and rob convenience stores, all glorified by music, movies and video games. It's a culture that will lead to its own downfall.
Unread 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #48
Curly1
User

Some of the problems stem from bad or lack of parental supervision IMO.

I took my physical wacks with the spanking stick, which was at that time sold in stores as a joke. The wife and her brothers got the strap.

We all turned out just fine.

But then again our parents weren't crack heads either.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #49
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Evening CBS news today (Tuesday, December 18th) covered a school in Texas, the name of which I cannot recall, in which teachers carry concealed weapons. I don't know the number of such teachers out of all those in the school. Texas state law allows this.

In the same news article, it was noted that the Governor of Michigan has vetoed a similar law.
I did not note if that veto is history or within the last few days or even today.

Did anyone else see this broadcast and can you by any chance provide any more details.

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #50
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbug View Post
Evening CBS news today (Tuesday, December 18th) covered a school in Texas, the name of which I cannot recall, in which teachers carry concealed weapons. I don't know the number of such teachers out of all those in the school. Texas state law allows this.

In the same news article, it was noted that the Governor of Michigan has vetoed a similar law.
I did not note if that veto is history or within the last few days or even today.

Did anyone else see this broadcast and can you by any chance provide any more details.

David
I watched the same newscast and all that I can add is, it was reported that the principle of the Texas school has recieved calls from schools in four other states wanting more information about their program, Missouri was one of them. The Texas school implemented the teacher CC program after a college shooting, can't remember which one.

What the Gov in Michigan vetoed was CC carry overall being allowed in schools and daycares. The Bill had passed and was ready to be signed.

You could tell the media gal interviewing the Texas principle was anti-gun............
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #51
kzullick
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Put a police officer in every school in America and pay for it with all the money we give to foreign countries.
kzullick is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kzullick for your post:
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #52
calibrator
User

I'm sure "Automatic" (semi-automatic) weapons that are magazine fed will be targets for the "Feel Good's". Your Lugers will be on the table, for sure. Sit back, and do nothing.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #53
cdmech
User

Several things said here are incorrect:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
The Second Amendment, read by the letter, gives mentally defective, criminals and maybe even children the same right to bear arms
The second amendment does not give us a right. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights" The second amendment is a law which protects that right.

Quote:
The question is what we can do and still be reasonably close to what the founding fathers put on paper.
Reasonably is subjective. The founding fathers believed our rights were ABSOLUTE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Jr. View Post
The second amendment is in the BILL OF RIGHTS. Rights cannot be revoked or modified. You opinion that rights are a matter of politics, popular support and lobby decribes the forms of government in most every other nation. But not America.

Quote:
You can't protect the 2nd Amendment by stubbornly clinging on to it as an eternal truth, because it isn't.
"endowed by their creator" is an eternal truth.

Marc
cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to cdmech for your post:
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #54
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Several things said here are incorrect:
I agree.

Quote:
The second amendment does not give us a right. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights" The second amendment is a law which protects that right.
Your quote is from the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. The second amendment is not a law, but a change(amendment) to the Constitution, along with nine others ratified by congress and the state legislatures. The first two amendments, of 12 in the original bill, were not ratified. Virginian George Mason (of the Mason-Dixon Line) was most vocal about this so-called bill of rights. I'm glad he mostly got his way

Quote:
Reasonably is subjective. The founding fathers believed our rights were ABSOLUTE.
Reasonable might be subjective--to the unreasonable... It implies that a concept is examined in the light of logic and reason, NOT emotion. This process can be quite objective. To insist that the founding fathers crafted the perfect constitution is negated by the fact that there have been many amendments since. I think they did, however, do a pretty good job setting up a framework that could flex with time, circumstances, and reality. On the other hand, dogma tends to be chiseled in stone, its tenets deemed absolute by its followers.

Quote:
The second amendment is in the BILL OF RIGHTS. Rights cannot be revoked or modified. You opinion that rights are a matter of politics, popular support and lobby decribes the forms of government in most every other nation. But not America.
Incorrect. The first ten amendments, like all the rest, may be changed by the amendment process set out in the Constitution--2/3 of both houses plus 3/4 of the states' legislatures. Seems the founding fathers considered it a bad thing to force succeeding generations to live by the rules of their forebears, no matter how inappropriate they may be deemed to be. I think you may be confusing our Constitution with the bible or koran, or the North Korean "constitution".

Quote:
"endowed by their creator" is an eternal truth.
Or it may be theistic gibberish. My mother and father were joint participants in my creation, so I guess I'm lucky enough to have two! Some of the founding fathers were deists, at most. Check out the bible, as Thomas Jefferson re-wrote it. Read a little bit of "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine, etc. You'll be amazed at how secular these guys were. The first amendment, for example, protects citizens of all beliefs and dis-beliefs, leaving us all to believe what we wish, or not, without fear of persecution.

David Parker
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #55
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank you for added, noncom retired. The college shooting was the horror at Virginia Tech by another mentally incompetent person.

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #56
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmech View Post
Several things said here are incorrect:.......
I'm sure that someone more educated than me can pick it apart, after all I'm an engineer and not a lawyer so I'm looking at it from a layman's practical view, rather than analyzing exactly how and where the text is written. Anyway, the bottom line is that you seem to think that nothing can change the constitution, while I believe that there is a chance for it to happen.

What I'm looking at is that there have been several amendments to the constitution (one as late as 1992), so it can obviously be done. You can also look at the 18th and the 21st Amendments, it has been a while but they show how fickle politicians can tinker with the constitution. So my question is if there is a way for everybody to agree on how the 2nd Amendment should be applied to a 21th century society. There is obviously a great disagreement between the pro-gun and anti-gun politicians, and I believe the truth is somewhere inbetween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmech View Post
You opinion that rights are a matter of politics, popular support and lobby decribes the forms of government in most every other nation. But not America.
From a strictly legal standpoint, that may be true. But once again, the amendments show that changes in society have also changed the interpretation of the original constitution. You can call it popular opinion, politics, lobby or whatever, it doesn't change the fact that it can happen.
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #57
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Popular history tends to be re-written on a regular basis. There was a big revisionist movement in the 20's. Apparently the stuff about Geo. Washington and the cherry tree is a total myth, making its first appearance in recorded/written history at about that time. This is not entirely unlike how German text books were edited, post-war, to help their society deal with the extensive, collective guilt, shame, and consternation concerning their preceding political paradigm and the policies that were carried out. Basically, an entire nation had been duped, or baited and switched by a juggernaut of their own creation, however "well-meaning" it was presumed to be at its inception. And we haven't stopped there.
Robert Green Ingersoll (the Great Agnostic) was a lawyer for the railroads at the turn of the last century, and a very popular speaker on the subject of agnosticism, the bible, and belief. He was the highest paid public speaker in a time before media we take for granted nowadays--film, radio, TV--up to $2.500 per appearance, which in those days was the price of a couple of houses. He neglected to underwrite further efforts in this realm after his death, leaving none of his massive fortune to the cause because he presumed religiosity had been pretty well stamped out. But he was wrong. Myths continue to be created, most significantly one that had resurgence as little as about 20 years ago, that the United States is a Christian nation. This notion is a total fabrication perpetrated and maintained by those who would benefit from it. Its roots lie in thinking that is more like mob rule than democracy. Safeguards in the Constitution, (on paper, anyway) help prevent a majority from trampling the rights of a minority simply because there are , obviously, more people in the former. We have an undeniable Christian (whatever that is, broken into thousands of splits and offshoots) majority. The founding fathers deemed no religious view any more valid than any of the others, and tried to ensure that the basis for legislation NOT have its origins in ANY of them. If this were not the case, there would be an opportunity for a majority with a particular view to hijack the entire country. Religion has no place in politics and overall societal policy; otherwise someone's freedom is curtailed, never fear.
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #58
cdmech
User

How sad that rights and freedoms one generation has been asked to die for are so willingly relinquished by another on the basis of popular opinion.
Marc
cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #59
RichSr
User

IthicaArtist,
Perhaps a more careful approach would be advisable before “correcting” another’s post. Cdmech never claimed his first quote was from the Constitution. You may disagree but I believe that most view the Declaration as one of our founding documents.
Quote:
“Incorrect. The first ten amendments, like all the rest, may be changed by the amendment process set out in the Constitution--2/3 of both houses plus 3/4 of the states' legislatures.”
Not accurate, the following from the National Archive Article V
“ amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures
A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States”
Other inaccuracies would include confusing the Virginian George Mason with the Englishman Charles Mason, who with Jeremiah Dixon surveyed the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania(the Mason-Dixon Line), and attributing the cherry tree myth of Washington to the
Quote:
”big revisionist movement in the 20's
”.
That story is first seen in a biography on Washington written by Mason Locke Weems ( A History of the Life and Death, Virtues and Exploits, of General George Washington(1800) either 20 or 120 years before the “revisionist movement” you mention depending on which century you’re referring to.
As to this being a Christian nation, you may be able to argue from a religious standpoint, but I think there's little doubt that this country embraces the philisophical teachings of the man Jesus of Nazareth
I believe that your lack of factual accuracy, opinion masquerading as fact, and the obvious disdain for religion apparent in your posts taints any of the possibly relevant points you make.
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #60
Douglas Jr.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSr View Post
Not accurate, the following from the National Archive Article V
“ amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures
A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States”
So you're confirming that, anyway, the US Constitution can have another Amendment added or an old one revoked or modified. As I said before, it is a matter of a legal proceeding - it might be a difficult task but it can be done if the conjuncture is right.

Regarding Christianism and religion I strongly believe that it must be left out of any political discussion. Religion is a matter of faith, with its dogmas. Although I'm pretty certain that the Chritian guided several principles written by the Founding Fathers in your Constitution, their most important contribution (and its most historically contribution) was to creat a secular Nation, with freedom of religion.

But, again, in my humble opinion, it has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment, laws, and the possibility of changing gun control rules.

Respectfully,

Douglas
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote