LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-31-2004, 01:54 AM   #21
RockinWR
User

Tac,
* Ig did you proud. In 1939 & sub, Mauser elected to revise the ISPN numbering scheme from the exact first two digits to the first two digits + 1. Your 08xxn serial numbered byf 42 fits the pattern. 08 + 1 = 9. Also, by 42, Mauser dropped marking the barrel's gauge.

John,
* Very interesting supposition. We do see a single numeric digit marked on some front sight blades along with a "+" or a "-" sometimes, especially later P.38's. I've often thought this to indicate the height of the blade, as in maybe the number of +/- 0.1mm increments from nominal. An adjustment for point of impact vs the point of aim (high or low) at a fixed distance when blade replacement was needed. However, some pre-1937 sideplates have an ISP letter. I can't fit a single alpha character into the supposition unless a letter means two digits (like 11) worth of increments.
* With all the other locations on a P.08 which have single alpha or numeric character, I've noted they invariably appear in an unobtrusive location and are usually nearby to mating components as if the fit(function) is being confirmed as being correct. Did I just say the same thing as you?? I think you may have switched gears in your thought train as it was coming off the top.
* Anyway, after the 1937 "q" block, the ISPN does follow Dr. Bob's numbering scheme for original matching Mauser Military pieces. Anyone have added thoughts/info on John's suggestion?

Angel,
* Thanks again for your report and excellent pictures. At least now we know you won't have to shoot smaller bullets than the rest of us. Just imagine explaining an "almost" 9mm Luger!!
* The inside of your 1936 is obviously polished on its mating surfaces as is the norm. Curiously, some few 1936 & 1937 1st variation, rust blued pieces exhibit a light blue hue inside. This before the 1937 2nd variation switched to a dip salt blue which left the inside completely dark blue. Turns out the 1936 "o" block was the start of reports on this light blue transitional departure from the "norm".
* The various single numerals and letters you point out are again, I believe, Factory worker stamps. The receiver lug and the underside of the links are well known areas for these spurious marks, You could also expect to see these in the frame's front and rear wells and on the frame under the wood grips. No conclusive pattern of digits in any particular location pegged to a specific date/meaning has emerged as far as I have heard.
* Good idea on the net search suggestion. Will have to leave that to my future retirement's list of to-do's. Obviously this forum benefits research by having the detail disassembly instructions readily available. Afraid I might have a bunch of unhappy campers or too much 'splaining to do if the mechanically challenged couldn't get their treasure back together again.
* Have to agree with Ron, this is a very nice puppy.

Ron,
* If it will help, just think of this example as having been made up from all those unnumbered DWM spare parts August shipped down from Berlin.

All,
* BTW - I'm not THE Dr. Bob above in case anyone was wondering.

Respectfully,
Bubba Bob
RockinWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2004, 08:47 PM   #22
angel
User

thank you very much again for all the info and help.
i do appreciate it greatly.
angel
angel is offline   Reply With Quote