LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #21
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
The gun arrived this afternoon. It is not a Smith and not a Colt, and I anticipate ridicule for that. It is a used Taurus 627. My friend has a Taurus 608 in .357 and I was impressed with it - excellent trigger and the ported barrel virtually eliminates muzzle jump. I was prepared to buy a new one but I was put off by the giant "TRACKER" logo on the side of current production. I got this one on Gunbroker for $325. and I am satisfied.

KFS
Karl in the past I owned several revolvers, apart from the Pythons that I used to collect, my first revolver was a S&W Mod 28 Highway Patrol that I bought in the Eighties, I mainly used S&Ws (I also had a lemon one see the picture below), then a RUGER GP100, but at the range I remember that I tried a couple of TAURUS revolvers and they were all excellent guns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_SER0002_686 di Brusa.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	73548  

Unread 08-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #22
HerrKaiser
User

The first gun I ever bought was a S&W model 586 .357/.38 (the same one as your picture only blued). It’s been a fantastic revolver, beautifully accurate no matter what ammo I’ve used in it. What happened to your 686 that made it a lemon? Also, one reason you may like Taurus so much is that S&W bought around 54% of Taurus’ stock through the mid-70’s (71-77) and they essentially operated under the same management and shared designs with one another for revolvers.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #23
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I think the reason for Sergio calling the Smith pictured in his post a lemon is because the cuts between the chambers are not centered between the chambers but almost above them. A bit scary.

I shot the Taurus today with store-bought Federal 158 grain .38 special and it performed very well. The squishy grips don't work for me and I will need to find something more suitable. Otherwise, this may be the best shooting center fire revolver I have fired.

Thanks again to all for the advice and support.

KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Karl for your post:
Unread 08-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #24
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
Karl in the past I owned several revolvers, apart from the Pythons that I used to collect, my first revolver was a S&W Mod 28 Highway Patrol that I bought in the Eighties, I mainly used S&Ws (I also had a lemon one see the picture below), then a RUGER GP100, but at the range I remember that I tried a couple of TAURUS revolvers and they were all excellent guns.
Wow! Sergio what Smith is that? And when was it made?

I have a few S&W and never saw something like that. But it's true that my "newer" Smith is a 1976 made model 28.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote