LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #21
Pistol
User

I recall my grandpa telling the story about how as a teenager he could go to the movies and on the way home stop and get a moon pie and RC cola for a nickel.
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2018, 10:00 PM   #22
4 Scale
User

I bought my first Luger shooter about three years ago and now own 4 shooters. Every time I go to a public range heads turn, including young people. IMO the average young shooter considers Lugers a bit out of reach on price but I think the interest is there.

There have been numerous threads on Luger values which I find interesting. I also enjoy looking at auction pricing. The sum of my anecdotal observations is that IMO Lugers very roughly appreciate at the rate of inflation plus maybe a point or two. Likely they also go up/down with the economy. And of course right now at least modern firearm sales are down since so many people stocked up 2009-16. I have to wonder if the current oversupply of new firearms is depressing prices on all firearms including Lugers at the moment.

The idea that interest in Lugers will taper off as the WWII generation leaves us doesn't make sense to me. The appearance and history of the pistol is IMO just too iconic and unique.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 06-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #23
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

It is really tough to call the "market", when depending on where, how, when, etc. a luger is sold; the same condition shooter can sell for $600 or $1250!
Or a collectible for $2000 or $3000 for similar pistols in the same condition.

What is the market price? a range and it always is.
Sometimes people are patient and get a good price, other times they are anxious, in a hurry, or catch auction fever and pay too much!

Lugers don't linger on the shelf if priced "right".
The following 3 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #24
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I don't think that lugers have gone up on prices in the last say 5 or 7 years, mainly because I believe that the number of real afecionados is "diminishing" with the years passing by...
After all vintage guns have never been an investment here, so I say let's enjoy them for what they are but not for their value.
It's sad to say it but in my opinion most of my generation now is collecting things that we couldn't have when we were young, and I wonder if all the interest for vintage guns won't fade away over the next generations; maybe it's me but I can't see many youngish people collecting Lugers, I see more lads longing for Tupperware guns... time will tell.
Unread 07-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #25
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

maybe all our "stuff" will be displayed in typical museums, much like the armor and swords of the crusades...

lord knows when light sabers become fashionable..........!!!
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #26
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Please, can someone change "went" to "gone"; it makes me crazy every time this thread comes up to view. And that ain't a pretty sight!

The OP can edit the title by using edit, go advanced, then the title can be edited.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: