LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
I would love if you had preblueing pictures. A question to my dear collegues, Under what circumstances if any should a luger be buffed and reblued if any?
NEVER

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,429 Posts

Dwight..Never is an absolute and it is never a good idea to use never!

A 1916 came to me badly rusted..A Police conversion with the matching # holster & tool. An all matching Luger pistol. After I hammered it apart with a wooden sledge..I took it completely down, soaked it in oil and soft wire brushed it back to white metal. It was never buffed but rust blued by Charles Danner. It is now a presentable fully functioning Luger..brought back from the dead IMO. Yes..it is reblued and has pitting..but what other choice was there to retrieve this pistol from the rusty clutches of destruction?
I put way more money into it than I should have but IMO I preserved a piece of history as well as can be done under the circumstances.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

This is aimed at those of you beleive reblue enhances you guns value. I beleive reblueing should be a last resort, left only to restorer like Ted! That and silicone leave to the experts. Valid wear is part of the mystic. Face it legitamate guns show wear as I don't beleive in 'Luger Virgins'. A while back someone was proud of the reblueing on a test piece or other trophy. NEVER NEVER NEVER! I got sick!! Someone doesn't deserve to it. Some survived more that 100 years to face an acid bath for someones' vanity. Mechanically I would have it checked and maybe make it servicable. I would ask Ted or the few others to make sure that what they really want and maybe a self prescribed a chill out waiting period as I am super impulsive!Such treatment can wind up a bad totoo~! Unlike a bad marriage than call be a divorsed or anulled theres no turning back. Take a good long thought! Once performed can never be opriginal again! Every day it will be a visual reminder what its NOT! a cheep attempt of a luger virginity!! You will have to answer that first question has it been tampered with? or when and if you try to sell it or trade it away!!I PREACH LOVE WHAT IVE GOT!! She made it through 2 world wars and several owners who opted to keep it like the day that we acquired it. I'm sure they are beautiful in their own way! Its beautiful in any condition or History! At least take your time THE REBLUEING OPTION WILL ALWAYS BE THERE. Sone you will fall back in love. There are situations to be used as a last resort. Before you decide weigh all options and ask Ted Green who I trust more than anyone he will give you his honest opinion. Believe Me Ted has plenty of business and a tough audience.You married her when you bought her! Show her the respect you both deserve. Happy Lugering, Eric aka cirelaw!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 07-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

luger buffs hate buffed lugers
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugersrkewl for your post:
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #25
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Jerry,

I was referring to the entire statement, buffed and reblued.
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote