LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
woodman45
User

I will try. the stamping in the wood base worn so thin that I need a magnafying glass to see them.
woodman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

Bill,
I am glad you decided not to shoot it. You have acquired a very nice and very collectable Luger. It is all original finish...do not under any circumstance consider having it refinished, you would destroy its collector value and reduce it to a $400 shooter.

The serial number of your Luger is 832g, the small letter under the serial number is actually part of the serial number. A mismatched magazine is of no consequence, in fact I am usually highly skeptical of Lugers with "matching" magazines unless I examine them very closely...many are faked.

Congratulations on your purchase. It may have been a bit painful with all the added fees and costs, but you got a nice gun.
Unread 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
woodman45
User

Default 1917 Dwm

Hi Ron, Many thanks for the info. I did not know what the value of the gun was. Now I have a better understanding of it. I am trying to read as much as possible about lugers. Many of the books are quite expensive. I have been trying to find them in E Book form. I was able to get one, "The Standard Luger Catalogue" by Aarron Davis. Many years ago I purchased "The World of Lugers" for about $$40. I see them on the internet now for more than $300. That book disapeared on our move to Florida. I also have "lugers at Random" by Charles Kenyon Jr.
Thanks again, Bill
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

Aaron Davis' book is an absolute gem for the "flow chart" that helps to identify the model of Luger. Once you get to the detailed information for a particular model the wheels fall off. There is far to much "cut and paste" information that does not apply to the individual models, and the values are not reliable (and also out of date). Charlie's "Lugers at Random" is the best basic primer for new collectors. The photos are not the best and a lot of the information has been superceded by research since it was published. But it still remains my favorite recommendation for the new collector for a broad view of Luger categories. I would highly recommend purchasing Jan Still's "Central Powers Pistols" for under $100. It is the most "bang for the buck" currently on the market.
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #25
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Now that I re-read the earlier posts stating that this gun is not with matching mag, please disregard my request for mag. bottom photos. That is no longer relevant. For what it is worth, you have a very nice early Luger.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #26
Alx
User

It is not generally regarded as of any increased significance, but one, two, and three-digit serial numbers are more interesting to me, compared to the most prevalent four-digit serial numbered guns. Maybe because they did not put zeros in front, as would a modern scheme do, to maintain a four digit number.

I have a two-digit Luger, 48 in the l block, ( lower case L ), but I have never seen a single-digit serial Luger. Unless my math is taking a senior moment, there would only be 243 of them max per year, per maker. ( 9x27 ) ... Is that so ?
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #27
MFC
User

The entire alphabet was never used in one year. Mauser produced the largest number of Lugers in one year by a single maker in 1940. According to 'The Mauser Parabellum' estimated production was 137,612. That would account for only 126 single digit serial #'s.
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
woodman45
User

Thanks again, Ron. I will be looking for those books.