LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
dascoyne
User

Thanks for the ongoing education.

I purchased it from a local dealer without knowing anything about Lugers or this gun in particular.

I'll take some more detailed photos when I get a chance.
dascoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Thanks for the lesson Norm!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #23
LUIS22
User

All I know is that its a very impressive gun...usually refinish guns have smooth round edges these one in particular are straight???
LUIS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #24
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

It all depends on who did the work. I've seen refinished guns that would fool most experts.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
Hugo Borchardt
User

Beautiful gun.
Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing photos.

Clark

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm

Last edited by Hugo Borchardt; 11-05-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #26
drbuster
User

Lugers like this come up for scrutiny on the Forum from time to time and almost always get comments such as "original in my opinion" and "expert restoration". I think Ed's comment about shining the flashlight at the finish is a good one. Original finish really takes on a brownish powdery hue in the yellow flashlight (not the LED hi intensity ones!). Restorers often forget to put the yellow-white coloring in the Gesichert markings, but this one is there. Also, the often mentioned small pin on top of the rear toggle should indeed be in the white and is usually blued over by the restorer. I really can't be certain from the photos if this part is white or not. And lastly, one really has to hold the piece, run your fingers over the sharp edges and look at the stampings, etc. No matter what, it is a beautiful piece that may very well be a genuine un-messed with piece that probably rested in some officer's drawer, or possibly was never issued for whatever reason. Enjoy it, we should all be so lucky as to have such a fine Luger as our first one!
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbuster View Post
Also, the often mentioned small pin on top of the rear toggle should indeed be in the white and is usually blued over by the restorer.
Uh, oh...That sounds like one of the 'experts secrets' that George said would not be discussed...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Nah, that "expert secret" is no secret.
Unread 11-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #29
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

The frames were not marked P.08 until 1941. The markings on the frame have nothing whatsoever to do with the SS. Do not shoot this gun...it is in fantastic condition and would command top dollar for this category of Luger. If you break a numbered part, you could reduce the value by half depending on what part broke. You were extremely lucky with your first Luger purchase and would be well advised to treat it conservatively. Congratulations.
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #30
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

FYI, the occasion that caused the P.08 to be marked P.08 was the adoption of the P.38 as the standard military sidearm.

Thus as early as 1940, some holsters were ink stamped P.08 to avoid confusion with the P.38 that was starting to be issued.

Ron is absolutely correct on the timing of the P.08 stamp on the frame. It is well documented in both Still's and the new Hallock/Van de Kant books. Think about it, the P.08 had been the standard sidearm for the German military since, as the name implies, 1908. There was no other of similar size and caliber. Thus no stamp was necessary. The introduction of the P.38 changed all that and the German military establishment wanted to avoid any confusion during the phase-in of the P.38.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #31
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine View Post
... and in WW1 four companies made them. Being that orders and needs to fill contracts for battalions are huge, one company cannot take on the entire responsibility. DWM Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken was the original company that made Lugers. Than the gun was also made for the Germans by Erfurt. The royal arsenal at Erfurt. .....
Uh, I am sure that you just made a mistake, but there were two manufacturers of lugers in WW1, DWM and Erfurt.

Who else tooled up and made lugers? (Its in the FAQ)

DWM
Erfurt
Simson
Krieghoff
Mauser

and then the Swiss

All pre-WW2

There were no other manufacturers.

DWM made the widest amount and variations, having made military and commeriicial for many countries besides Germany.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #32
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Valentine... and in WW1 two companies made them.

There was only ONE Company that made them in WW1, the private Co. DWM.
The other manufacturer was not a Company but the German State Arsenal, Erfurt.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #33
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Valentine... and in WW1 two companies made them.

There was only ONE Company that made them in WW1, the private Co. DWM.
The other manufacturer was not a Company but the German State Arsenal, Erfurt.

Jerry Burney
yes, but they were under contract, but what you say is true and I agree with it
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #34
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ed, Under contract to who? There was undoubtable a licence agreement between the State arsenal and DWM but that would not put Erfurt under contract to them. Erfurt was an entity unto themselves with their own inspectors and disposition of Lugers to the German Army.
A manufacturer "under contract" would be supplying Lugers to DWM. German laws concerning this complicated subject are extensive but Erfurt was not "under contract" to DWM as I see it.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 11-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #35
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Valentine..You are confusing assistance given to Erfurt by DWM with a return obligation to DWM by Erfurt. There can be no doubt that DWM assisted Erfurt with tooling setup , design blueprints and technical help with the effort to set up a Luger manufacturing line. Once this took place however there was no evident obligation on Erfurts part to supply anything to DWM. Erfurt manufactured Lugers to supply the German Army.
A contract implies you have an obligation and I suspect the only obligation Erfurt had was to pay DWM a royalty on every Luger produced so I guess you COULD say they were "under contract" to pay but not to provide Lugers to DWM.

Erfurt did certainly have their own standards and they were not as high as the private Co, DWM.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 11-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #36
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I know that "SIMSON" received a 10 yr contract, (does not mean that a contract makes for a company, but for them, they are)

For erfurt, I quote, my own book, because i don't have Gortz and Bryans with me
Quote:
In 1904 the German Navy adopted the Luger (P08), and then in 1908 the big contract; the German Army adopted the Luger, hence the designation P08. DWM was given the contract, with the stipulation that a government arsenal could also produce the pistol; Erfurt was chosen as this government arsenal. After 1910, there was a requirement for DWM to stamp the date on the top receiver of the pistol. First production of Erfurt’s is 1911, with several 1910 dated Erfurt’s claimed.

So, they are not a company, but a gov't arsenal making them for the gov't while DWM still did both gov't and commericial. There were no commericial Erfurts made.

I disagree with the comment to the effect that Erfurt did as they pleased, because Erfurt made them EXACTLY to the gov't specifications while DWM waived many requirements.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 11-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #37
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Jerry,

You are certainly on the right track here and your statements about contracts, etc. are certainly true.

I think everyone has to remember that DWM held the PATENTS for the design. Initially, they were the sole producers of the guns. In 1908, long after they had become a successful enterprise in their own right, the German Government granted them a contract to build X-number of guns.

As happened here in the USA when Colt received a contract to build the 1911 for the War Department, there was a rider that stipulated that Springfield Arsenal, (A USA entity similar in respect to Erfurt) would have the right to use the patented design to build 1911s after Colt had delivered so many guns. Thus Colt was rewarded for their R&D, etc, and the government would get as little piece of their own pie if they so chose to build 1911s for their own use.

While, I am not privy to the negotiations or contracts actually signed between DWM and the German Procurement Authorities in 1907/8, I am sure there was some such similar provision.

So Erfurt ended up with a production line, and as Springfield in the USA, and Waffenfabrik Bern in Switzerland, they evolved the design and produced their own brand of gun using their own tooling and procedures and standards.. If anyone doubts this, just look at the proofing of an Erfurt versus DWM.

Sorry for the long winded reply but the subject is very complicated.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #38
marshombre
User

Absolutely no high edge wear = refinished. Why don't we ask Thor if he restored a 40 42 sn 6651 lately?
marshombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #39
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Besides Ted, I know of several guys back east that can make a luger look like new - 98%, no wear, no corner cut etc, there is always ways to tell, for one thing, seldom do you find a luger with such clean lines plus its markings crisp, etc.

It is possible, but there should still be patina and oxidation. Unless of course it is an older restore, but most of the early ones did not use proper rust or salt bluing.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 11-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #40
dascoyne
User

Once upon a time I vowed that I would never own a gun I wasn't planning to shoot. I purchased this one with every intent to shoot it at least once.
Now, after this thread I'm too afraid of harming this gun if it is, indeed, a "survivor."
dascoyne is offline   Reply With Quote