LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #21
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hugh lives east of Houston, which got the bad side of Ike. I live on the west side and will be out of power until Monday at least. It will take some time for his to be restored.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #22
jamese
User

Having been thru 3 storms Francis, Jeanne and Wilma, I know how the utility company works, their priorities are to get the biggest bang for the buck. In other words they restore the areas that require the least amount of work or have the least amount of damage first to put more customers back on line for the effort involved.

If you have a pole or a transformer that needs to be replaced and it only serves a few houses it will be weeks before they get a crew to fix it. I think Hugh lives in a rural area, so it may be a while.

Jim
Unread 09-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #23
Hugh
RIP

A COUNTRY BOY SHALL SURVIVE
We are far enough away from the coast that we didn't have to worry about the flood waters, just 90mph wind! I live in the country at the end of a 1 1/2 mi private road, off hiway 90; we had 80 trees down across the road between here and the hiway. Brought in a big backhoe and grabber thing on tracks to clear the road of BIG & smaller oak, pine, gum & tallow trees. There was a BIG oak & two smaller gum trees with tangled vines laying across the bridge over the creek. It took some work, but we got it off with no damage to the bridge. That is one tough bridge, it isn't very big, but has steel I beams base and handles logging trucks with no problem.

We were only about 20 miles from the center, and the storm was 200 miles wide with a 85 mile center! We were extremely lucky compared to 100's of others down here. No damage to the house other than losing the carport, a tree down across the fence and many limbs in the yard. When the carport went it knocked the rear window out of Mintas new car and put 2" of water in the floorboards. We replaced the roof on our house after Rita with a "20 yr" roof, and it was well worth it, as we didn't loose any shingles this time.

We are still without electricity, and my 10 yr old generator gave up the ghost. Friday I bought a new 6500 Honda generator and we are running the water well pump, fridge, freezer, washer & dryer, some lights & fans off of it. We have a propane tank for the stove & oven, & hot water heater & plenty of food; so not doing too bad. Could have had a nice Krieghoff for what that baby cost!

They say we may have electric power by the first week of Oct! No TV yet as the wind moved the satallite so we are not receiving a signal. I just got time to plug in my computer to see if that satallite is messed up also, and lo & behold, I am on line!

Thanks to God that our prayers were answered and he protected us from major damage this go round!

Hugh
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #24
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Hallelujah!!! Awfully glad you came through as well as you did. Welcome back.
Unread 09-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #25
stefanosg
User

Good hearing from. I am so pleased you and others weathered the storm okay.
Unread 09-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #26
davidkachel
User

Glad you and yours are safe. Sounds like you have enough downed trees to build another house.
Unread 09-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #27
Roadkill
User

Hugh is the type that would be out helping neighbors instead of sitting safely at home. He's definitely made of the "sterner stuff" that is so necessary in time like those which they are experiencing. He'll come through.
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #28
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Hugh, GLAD you made it okay!! Say hi to Minta foe me!!!

Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #29

Default Great

Hugh,

Glad you're OK and don't have too much damage. Look carefully--mold will show up quickly if you picked up any water in the ceilings.

My son who lives just north of Pittsburgh lost power for 5 days (he had a generator) and my grandaughter who lives in Concinatti still has no power. Ike's effects were amazing.

Al
Unread 09-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #30
jamese
User

Hugh,

Good to hear from ya, Glad you got thru OK! with only minor damage.
Plan to use that generator longer than what they are telling you.

Jim
Unread 09-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #31
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Great to hear from you Hugh... glad you were so well prepared. I have friends in Houston that got their power restored yesterday morning, and now only their parents house is without power a few blocks away... Hopefully your power will be restored promptly...

What kind of satellite service for tv do you have... there are diagnostics built in to your receiver that can help you re-aim your dish even before helps arrives... you should also be able to call or contact Dishnetwork or DirectTV and their tech support should be able to advise you on the direction asimuth and elevation to get you in the right area of the sky to get some tv service...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #32
Hugh
RIP

John,
I climbed up on the roof today, the angle had been blown off about 1/2", put it back to the original position and we watched TV tonight! An Entergy man came by today and said that we should have power tomorrow!