LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #21
A.Mifsin
User

""Alvin is probaly correct,plus there is no white paint in the Gesichert marking..""

Can we have more information regarding this statment please.
Does it means that 1940 Lugers should have white in the Gesichert word?

Thank You all
alf
Unread 07-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #22
barr44
User

Again, I appreciate all the good information that you folks have provided.
Alvin, I did compare the 41/42 to a 38-S/42 and to a '40-42 and I couldn't discern much difference in the areas that you pointed out except for the barrel band which does seem to be more rounded on the 41/42. However, my eyes might not be as sharp as yours even with a magnifying glass. The area where the safety rotates probably doesn't show up in the image file, as distinctly as it actually is, there is a definite wear mark there. You have brought out some good areas to reference to though. I will definitely keep them in mind for any future buying sprees. I also notice with a bright light that you can see through the bluing to the metal, which also can be very meaningful, I just have to learn more about what I'm looking at. For what it's worth, both the '38-S/42 and the '40-42 have traces of white paint in the 'Gesichert' and they are both original finish. That's not say that paint was added at a later date, but from the looks of the finish on these two guns, I would doubt it.
Again, it's great to find such a well informed group of guys that are willing to share their knowledge and time. Thanks, a bunch, barr.
barr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #23
lugercollector
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Alf....I have handled many Lugers (as a Dealer in them) and the majority of them that are in original condition have the white paint in the "GESICHERT"mark by the safety lever,even on well worn examples traces of the paint usually remain.....one of the 1st questions I ask a prospective seller on a phone transaction is whether or not there is white paint in that marking,a negative usually means it has been reblued... Sample photo from a 1940 Mauser attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-356f.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	3071  

lugercollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #24
A.Mifsin
User

Thank you Lugercollector, another lesson learned. Another question is, when was this ( the white wordings ) introduced in the Luger production, is it for Mauser WWll only ?
Thank you for your time.
Alf.
Unread 07-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #25
alvin
User

From "Central Power Pistols" (Still, 2007), 1906 Army Test has "GESICHERT". The word is on the lower position. It's not mentioned the wording being white or not on that rare variation. I assume it is. The GESICHERT in the "normal" upper position became standard in 1908, and it's in white..... actually looks yellow/brown after so many years.

=========

It's also on 1906 Navy. Not sure which one was earlier.... 1906 Navy, or 1906 Army Test.

=========

Anyway, it's definitely not a Mauser nor WWII only feature.

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #26
A.Mifsin
User

Thank You All.
Alf.