LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #21
HardBaller
User

Just a thought here but just read an interesting article in SGN regarding WW 1 Stormtruppen, both German and Austrian. The preference was for Luger (both P08 and L08) and C96. ALso substitutions were various Reichsrevolvers, 1914 Mausers, et al. Take your pick as the Stormtruppen apparently were "authorized" to carry and no one seems to really question their decisions (look at pics showing pioneer knives, sawback bayo's and especially daggers).

Also detailed in the article were the Austrian Storm troopers who were issued Steyer Hahns.

The focus of the article that was most interesting was that the "main" weapon of these groups was a sharpened shovel edge. Brutal thing WW 1 eh?

Just my .02.

Tim
Unread 03-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #22
Guntoter
User

George Anderson, thanks for posting that awesome pic. It's now my computer background!!

Note the IOD89 sword on the Officer in the center right of the pic. Looks like it has seen some real use with all the dents on the scabbard. It also appears that it was originally a 2 ring scabbard that was arsenal modified to a single ring, per 1910 regulations. Interesting pic, especially of the Kaiserin with Officers. Don't see too many of those!
Unread 03-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #23
Ron Smith
User

My squadron skipper was an E9 Master Chief with 35 years in. He was about 5' 7" and weighed 145-150lbs. He was the toughest SOB I have ever seen. I saw him "shred" a Lt. Commander (Major to you Army, AF and Marine guys) for questioning his tactics in combat. He had 3 tours on River boats. The Lt. Commander was a "cherry".

Masterchief Hinshaw was a great guy to work for as long as you kept your mouth shut and followed orders.

I had the pleasure of working for him after I got back to the states on board my last ship. One of the finest CPOs I ever met.

Louis,
"Portepee ?"

This is a Portepee.. Dagger "Dingle Balls"

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #24
lboos
User

Ron. thanks for the pic. of that portepee. please dont tell me what it,s used for, i think i can guess. PBR,s" all right, you brown water navy guys had all the fun. thanks for your responce. lboos
lboos is offline   Reply With Quote