LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 07-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #21
Imperial Arms
Banned

When the word 'craftsman' is mentioned, what does this all mean? The answer is simple - the pistol is wrong.

Jean-Marie, you will never see (in the right/correct world) a GENUINE M1900 Presentation Luger with serial number locations placed in the same way as an early military Luger. Your early M1900 Swiss Military Luger is correct, but it makes no sense that the DWM factory would take a military Luger and make it into a presentation. If you wish to know the configuration of a M1900 Presentation, it would be similar to the M1900 Commercial with a chamber engraving and the polishing would be slightly better. Lastly, the chamber engraving would not be as deep as shown in the pistols above.

To give you an example, I examined about 6-7 years ago in Germany a cased M1900 Presentation Luger which was offered to Prince Franz Josef before he became King of Austria, and this near mint Luger was correctly numbered in the commercial manner. Interestingly, the pistol did not have a 'GL' hallmark which I am sure many other collectors would want to see on a presentation Luger. In my opinion, a prince who ordered or received a Luger from DWM would not necessarily receive a Luger with a 'GL' hallmark. If presidents of foreign countries did not receive Lugers with the 'GL' hallmark, why should a prince?

Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote