LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,324 Posts

Need 1st time shooter, permit 'in process'; maybe I'll have it by the time you get this sorted out! I've been researching lugers and their prices and auction price behaviors, and so far as you've described it, $1k seems fair enough for this re-blue and rig. Am interested in the looks of this gun because it IS mis-strawed, just a personal preference. I'll keep an eye on this thread and would consider buying when I'm ready, if it's still here.
DEP
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #22
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,324 Posts

Oh, that green crud on the mag is because it's brass and been stored in contact with leather. My considered opinion is that it's copper sulfate (from the brass alloy) and oils and sulphates from the leather. Practically speaking, dry does the most to stabilize any metal and minimize corrosion. Never store steel in leather long term!!! Leather "breathes" moisture in and out, according to its surroundings. When it takes a breath in, on a muggy summer day, that moisture winds up corroding any metal that is in contact with it. I guess you hardcore collectors would have climate controlled gun safes, but even in that case I would not allow leather to touch ANY metal whose surface I wished to preserve. Foodsaver bags with a bag of silicone dioxide and maybe an oxygen inhibitor, also in little bags, tucked inside is economical, effective, safe storage for the poorer of us, (Well, I guess I can only speak for myself.)
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,199 Posts

@ithacaartist, fixed your double posts for you.

You can use the 'Edit' icon (pencil with paper) to go back to a previous posting you made and make changes. No need to keep adding new replies
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
wayne8661
User

Does the wood bottom magazine have a serial number on it? If so could you please post photos?
wayne8661 is offline   Reply With Quote